Back in hospital tonight

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
My surgical incision started oozing blood and clear liquid a few days ago and the base around perimeter of my incision has been hard since day 1. To make sure there was no infection my PCP advised me to go to the ER earlier today so I went about 1pm and got blood work and a CT scan. My white count was elevatedbut not out of range so probably no infection. The CT on the other hand showed some air in the abdomen which the Radiologist thought was not out of the ordinary for 10 days post on. The ER called Dr K and he disagreed and said if it was his ER he would be admitting to give IV antibiotic and observe over night. I was admitted per Dr K instructions.

I was then told by the nurse that I couldn't have food and I said I have been battling malnutrtion so I have to eat. She said I will ask the Dr. I had to go the bathroom so I went and apparently missed the doc while I was gone. So I asked the nurse why he didn't want me eating. She said because they are afraid that you have a torn bowel...
So I picked up my jaw off the floor and said I guess I won't eat

Hopefully just being safe.

Dang your starting to take my position of being the problematic DS patient. If it can happen it will happen to you. Well hopefully they are taking the extra precautions and everything is actually fine.

Thanks C. I think it is just precaution, at least I am telling myself that, but I have to admit that this has me scared shitless.

I agree with what @DianaCox said. I think if you had a torn bowel your white count would've been out of range. Yay for Dr K advising them to admit you. Hopefully you'll be able to get rest. After all there is nothing more restful than a night in a hospital. :laugh:

I would think if you had a torn bowel, you'd be much MUCH sicker already. So have a "relaxing" night and go home tomorrow.
Yeah didn't make sense to me either. I thought the reason for staying was to get IV antibiotics and see how the seroma looked in morning and if surgery wanted to aspirate..The tear really threw me for a loop.

Thanks for the sanity check.

So I have been on zossin antibiotic and surgery has called in interventional radiology to drain the fluid and air from around the incision and abdominal cavity. Obviously I would have been in sepsis had there been a bowel perf

My wound has bee leaking a clear to bloody liquid the last 3 days and the skin was red. There was no warmth at the wound or pus like secretions.

That being said my white count is as high as it can be and not be above range. I will be in here at least another day on antibiotics.

Last edited:
It's spelled zosyn - very strong antibiotic. I didn't realize the wound had been draining. On the positive side, from your description it doesn't sound like pus that is draining, though that still doesn't tell you what's going on on the inside.
Revisions! I tell ya, even the easy ones are hard.

Latest posts

Back