Anyone want to buy a Kidney????

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
lol. omg. Vitamins are my MAIN expense....even more so than clothes and books! Oye Vey! But I signed up for this so no bitching.....but seriously....anyone need a kidney? Going cheap! LOL

Just made another vitamin order. I'm gonna have to get another job o_O

Thats what inspired this post lol....just spent £100 on top ups...not even a full order lol. As awesome as my GP is, she is way too afraid to prescribe what I need to its out of pocket as I'm not putting my health a risk, come hell or high water!

For me, I was off all my prescription meds podt-op except thyroid, which is cheap. Even just paying co-pays, I paid more for scripts before than I do for vitamins now. Hopefully you can offset the vitamin cost with something too.

Thats what inspired this post lol....just spent £100 on top ups...not even a full order lol. As awesome as my GP is, she is way too afraid to prescribe what I need to its out of pocket as I'm not putting my health a risk, come hell or high water!

Will NH cover your vites if your GP grew some balls? If so, maybe sit her down for a heart to heart and take a pair of woolen (or whatever) balls in with you so she will have some. Seriously, if you explained how critical it is becoming, would she? What about Mr. Patel's office?

Well.......I think this is a case of choosing my battles wisely. The NHS is renowned for not giving much support post WLS....or pre op for that matter. I don't know ANY DSers that get what they need prescribed....and I know quite a few of them.....so...that being the case, I am not special. I know some of the UK DSers only take the "Furious Iron" (I can't remember the name so I renamed it lol), the gel forcevil and aquaADEK....thus far they have no deficiencies...but I am not willing to take the chance, thus, I fund it myself.

I am trimming our food budget for a while to balance out the cost of vits. I have enough Nectar Protein powder and quest bars to get through the day and then have a nice meaty meal with the hubzter.

And prep, I wasn't on many meds and here in the UK you can get a prepayment card which saves you a shedload anyhow....so no savings there. But we are making it and the hubs is 100% supportive so that helps. I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive lol.

He is going out to the US in July and we are going to do some stockpiling so we skip the import tax. :)

you are right that vitamins are a necessary expense....actually an ongoing investment in our health.

I am not so convinced about protein powders and bars. They are awfully expense and IMHO taste like "monkey-butt" (I loved that phrase when I first heard it used by Val Groce). It is possible to get all of your protein needs met with inexpensive food proteins.

EN posted a message a while back on low-cost protein sources as an example. I think it included things like canned tuna and canned chicken, Greek yogurt, eggs. You can eat well on a budget, if you plan. And of course shopping sales and the big box stores

you are right that vitamins are a necessary expense....actually an ongoing investment in our health.

I am not so convinced about protein powders and bars. They are awfully expense and IMHO taste like "monkey-butt" (I loved that phrase when I first heard it used by Val Groce). It is possible to get all of your protein needs met with inexpensive food proteins.

EN posted a message a while back on low-cost protein sources as an example. I think it included things like canned tuna and canned chicken, Greek yogurt, eggs. You can eat well on a budget, if you plan. And of course shopping sales and the big box stores

Oh yeah, I know they are expensive lol but I stock piled like a prepper pre op on protein powder lol. I DO eat, I promise lol. I am a 2 stager and have a large sleeve nearly 4 years post VSG....so dinner itself will give me loads of protein :)

I'm also sorta crash dieting this week and next to get back on track....I strayed a little and need to be super strict with myself if I am to reach my goals and prove the nay-sayers wrong ;) (not hard core though lol, already have 90+ gms of protein just from brekkie and lunch)

But yeah if it comes down to vits or steak...vits win every time :)

and I hear you on the vitamin cost. Being in Canada means I can't take advantage of the free shipping offers. And shipping is a huge cost cross border. I can only imagine the cost to ship to the UK! I try to coordinate my order to limit the number of shipments - maybe one every 8-10 months, but that means it is a big bill. And I always end up re-ordering early as I run out of something that I start taking more of when I adjust based on my labs. Hard to plan what you may need

There are many US based vitamin providers that will not ship outside of the US. Thanks goodness for Vitalady!

I try to purchase whatever I can locally, like calcium, multis, iron, etc. But dry vitamins aren't available in Canada, so again Vitalady solves my dilemma.

Outside of the US, we are also victims of currency exchange fluctuations and conversions. Visa charges userous exchange rates, but what can you do?

While we can bitch about the limitations of public health care services, overall, the cost and benefits are well worth it.

PS - keep watching your iron levels. It may be worthwhile to let them drop to have the health system cover the costs of annual infusions

and keep working on bringing your PCP around. You will be on these vitamins for a lot of years.

....edited to fix silly typos

Hi Roo!

I'm also sorta crash dieting this week and next to get back on track....I strayed a little and need to be super strict with myself

I think this is a good idea only if you don't care about the long run. in other words? I don't think this is a good idea.

just my opinion, worth what you paid for it! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, DEFFO!!!!! There is no way in hell I could have afforded WLS at all, ever, if it weren't for the NHS, so I am more than happy to "suffer" and buy my own vits.

And yes. Import tax + customs charges are a bitch!!! I spent $280 to be hit with a £100+ charge at customs. oh my word lol. But, it IS SO WORTH IT! :)

ok I reread everything lol....Im still a little lost...but crash diet post op doesn't mean crash diet at all lol. It just means get my arse in gear and be super strict lol...no cabbage soup for me :p

ok I reread everything lol....Im still a little lost...but crash diet post op doesn't mean crash diet at all lol. It just means get my arse in gear and be super strict lol...no cabbage soup for me :p
Roo, my concern is with your THINKING. A couple weeks ago you were wanting to lose ten pounds in a week. Now you're using the term "crash diet." These are signals to me of fucked up eating disordered thinking, my friend. You've shared that such thinking and behaviors are a part of your past, so that's why I'm bringing it up now.

You don't NEED to crash diet, even "DS style," or be "super strict." It's about nourishing yourself, which is a whole different mindset.....even if there is little difference in what you put in your mouth when you do it.

yes, exactly. the whole "crash diet" thinking is messed up. as EN often says, this is a marathon, not a sprint, and there is not only no need to be super strict, it's not good for you.

at least the way I'm reading it - I may be misunderstanding. I hear that can happen on the internet!

there is nothing wrong with staying On Plan, but super strict sounds...I don't know. rigid, rather than flexible. not sustainable.

I could guess most people go into WLS thinking, somewhere down in our brain stem, this won't work either. this will fail as all "diets" have - do you feel like you are past that? do you feel confident that this IS working and it will continue to work?

"crash diet" seems like it comes from a place of weakness, from an attitude that you might only, possibly, finally succeed if you work really really hard at it and then only barely, only by the skin of your teeth.

when you have, in fact, already succeeded.

listen, I know I am a plump ex-light weight and maybe shouldn't even have an opinion. you have already worked so hard for so long I can't be anything but impressed. I just wish you could relax and enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back