Am I being unreasonable...

Parousia

...to feel a bit irritated by someone in the Duodenal Switch FB group starting a new group for people with nutritional problems/deficiencies, and getting many others to join her? One person who asked to be added after I commented on it, said it was because she wanted input from all the different DS groups. Mmm...this would be a subset, so not more - just duplication of some members, but anyway...

My problem is two-fold: 1) Creating a new group means taking those people, or their problems, out of the broader group, so the rest of the group won't be able to learn from their mistakes/problems and the resolution thereof; 2). It seems to me that in a group full of people with nutritional problems, there won't be anyone who actually knows how to deal with the problems. How on earth will they figure out how to fix their issues? I'm sure some will manage to work through them successfully, but others might get seriously ill before they find the right answers (if they ever do).

The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. I understand there is an element of wanting to be with other people who will empathise with you and not criticise you, but empathy won't save lives. I just hope that people won't pull out of groups where there are experienced vets who truly can help, just to avoid any criticism of what they have or haven't done regarding supplementation, etc.

I just hope that people won't pull out of groups where there are experienced vets who truly can help, just to avoid any criticism of what they have or haven't done regarding supplementation, etc.

sadly, I'm sure there are people who will do exactly that. judging from years of reading OH!

but, no, I don't think you are being unreasonable - totally valid.

What it appears to be is a group of stupid as well as ignorant DSers with a death wish and thin skin, looking to bitch and moan about their issues away from the prying eyes of those who can actually help them, and where they can inflict their idiocy on others without fear of contradiction or correction. The blind leading the blind.

What it appears to be is a group of stupid as well as ignorant DSers with a death wish and thin skin, looking to bitch and moan about their issues away from the prying eyes of those who can actually help them, and where they can inflict their idiocy on others without fear of contradiction or correction. The blind leading the blind.
I'm afraid you're right, Diana! I feel like giving someone a good shake right now, lol. So frustrating when you can see them heading for a train-wreck, but are powerless to stop it!

Yep, I called out one such group starter yesterday, with similar reasons to what you stated - I got blocked for calling her out. I then started a post saying she blocked me, but I still think her idea was unwise, and explained again why. It appears we're not the only ones with this train of thought - there's been a decent amount of traffic on my post. Of course, since I'm blocked, I can't see if the cult leader is getting much of a following to her new 'sub group'.

Yep, I called out one such group starter yesterday, with similar reasons to what you stated - I got blocked for calling her out. I then started a post saying she blocked me, but I still think her idea was unwise, and explained again why. It appears we're not the only ones with this train of thought - there's been a decent amount of traffic on my post. Of course, since I'm blocked, I can't see if the cult leader is getting much of a following to her new 'sub group'.
That's the one, Mary. I saw your post, and tried to back up what you said in response to her post (I'm Beth ten Have on FB). A number of people did ask to be added to her new group, unfortunately.

She is getting lots of requests from people to be added.

I hope a few of the more knowledgeable vets will join the group to keep tabs on what's going on, try to rebut the stupid, and at least PM people who are getting bad advice. Or post PSAs on other boards about the danger of joining cloistered groups who propagate poor advice, hidden from the view of actual experts.

I started posts on the various FB pages asking if there was a page for revisions to DS. I'm thinking about starting one...NOT to really post in or take anyone away from the regular pages...more just for identification purposes. It's hard to remember who all are revisions especially spread out amongst the different pages.

I started posts on the various FB pages asking if there was a page for revisions to DS. I'm thinking about starting one...NOT to really post in or take anyone away from the regular pages...more just for identification purposes. It's hard to remember who all are revisions especially spread out amongst the different pages.
Here are my thoughts on that: yes, I think that is potentially a problem. By starting an invitation-only or other restricted group for such as small number of people, outside of the view of other DS experts, you risk getting a limited/skewed view of problems and solutions. Why not use THIS message board to create a subgroup that anyone who is interested can read and provide input to, but which is directed to and focused on revision-specific issues? That way, anyone who is interested (or nosy) can look at the posts and contribute, if they have something to say, even if they are not "members of the tribe" - like the many knowledgeable vets here who are virgin DSers but have seen many revisionistas struggle with and solve problems, and have a knowledge base you may not attract by starting yet another micro-specialty subgroup on Facebook. Also - it is MUCH more annoying and difficult to manage a database of information on FB, whereas here, archiving informational posts is easier, and the search function is superior.

The reason that other group is being started is because some know-nothing know-it-all doesn't like having her disinformation challenged - it is the OPPOSITE of a resource for people struggling with nutritional issues.

That is quite different though, Star. Your group would include people with a wide range of experience levels. This other group being started sounds like it will primarily be aimed at/attract newish DSers (like me, lol). I get the impression it is to try to get them away from people who might give them a hard time about what they may or may not be doing wrong. I do understand the inclination, but just wonder about the wisdom of it.

Anyway, apparently I'm just trying to "create drama", lol. That is so not me, but I've said what I think. Now I'll just leave them to it!

There are only how many deficiencies groups on FB? *eyeroll*

Hey, let 'em have their own little kingdoms, molded to their liking. That's what I keep telling people who bitch about the way DSP is run.

There are only how many deficiencies groups on FB? *eyeroll*

Hey, let 'em have their own little kingdoms, molded to their liking. That's what I keep telling people who bitch about the way DSP is run.
i kinda thought that was what DSP and other DS groups were for anyway, amongst other things! Oh well, no point in worrying about people I don't even know, I guess. Just seems a pity to splinter up the groups even further.

Latest posts

Back