60 and moving in with roommates

JackieOnLine

Staff member
So, today I gave notice on my apartment and in July I will move in with 3 strangers back in the town where I am currently working and where I have put down some, albeit slender, roots. so no more commute after the move, thank the stars. and knowing I can support myself on any old job, should my current ones because too stressful (seriously), because the (horrible) jobs always hiring like grocery store clerks, now pay enough I could get by.

I'm aware this will be a huge change, but it's very practical. housing is even less affordable now than when I moved where I am now, and I saw an apartment advertised for rent by the same landlady I used to have, same size and might be the same building (it's an old one, anyway) and it's $450 a month more. than where I was living one year ago. :mad:

but I'm daunted by the shared housing, that's for sure. biggest concern is sharing the fridge, in the larger context of sharing a kitchen. one of the roommates uses only two drawers (apparently living on lunchmeat/cheese sandwiches) and the married couple have the rest of it and it is STUFFED with their food.

the four of them have all been there for years, so I will be the newbie! and the couple have a little doxie that already growled at me, and I was told he won't bite if I don't try to pick him up!

but, really, I liked the three people so far and the house is OK and the yard and patio are very good and I love the location and lots of good things. so it could really work.

wish me luck!

Can you put one of those small dorm fridges in your room? I see used ones and cheap ones here all the time on CL. Good luck! I hope it all works out well.
That is a great idea! I used one at work after my DS. They're fairly inexpensive. I can't remember the brand, yet I got it in 2008 after my surgery and left it still working when I retired in 2014.

yes, I was planning on getting at least one of those dorm sized fridges.

and, in theory, I welcome the chance to box up everything I own again (I kept the boxes) because I need a good sort/organize anyway.

I'm rolling my eyes as I type that. :sm shades:

That is a great idea! I used one at work after my DS. They're fairly inexpensive. I can't remember the brand, yet I got it in 2008 after my surgery and left it still working when I retired in 2014.
We repurposed our outside RV fridge (basically a dorm fridge but no freezer) when we moved into the house. It’s where we keep protein drinks, his beer, and when our fridge died in those days, the absolute essentials.

it sounds like they have made good strides in the small fridge options and I should be able to get myself one if I have to. I would prefer not to, until I know for sure the place is going to work well. if it doesn't work the less I have to move the next time the better. but that's why I never bought a bed at the last apartment and I spent too long just sleeping on a blow up mattress. at some point I have to invest in what I need to be comfortable.

well, it's an adventure, isn't it? or a challenge. or too hard, depending on my mood!

I hope it works out for you. You are a good person deserving a comfortable home. I think this is a step in the right direction because it will remove some of your financial pressures. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've been living here about a month and found out the man I share the basement with and the man half of the couple upstairs don't like each other at all. tension! bad vibes!

so, this is less fun than I was expecting. I did NOT buy a fridge and now I'm glad because I want out of here. by Spring at the latest!

however: I am somewhere more practical, I can go for an actual hike every day (on a hill so it's harder to do an easy stroll), and my work hours actually got worse so it's good I didn't try to rent an apartment.

anyway, it could be a lot worse!

You are a good person deserving a comfortable home.

thank you.

I just started trying to see a councelor for my anxiety/depression - it's very hard because there are way more people needing to be seen than people to see them.

but I went for one visit to someone the clinic has people see short term - 4 visits only - and he will facilitate getting me someone more long term.

my point is, I told him I think I would be doing OK if only I lived somewhere with affordable housing. seriously.

(I'd also like universal healthcare but that would just be icing on the cake)

I've been living here about a month and found out the man I share the basement with and the man half of the couple upstairs don't like each other at all. tension! bad vibes!
Oh dear, too bad you found out after you moved in.
I just started trying to see a councelor for my anxiety/depression - it's very hard because there are way more people needing to be seen than people to see them.

but I went for one visit to someone the clinic has people see short term - 4 visits only - and he will facilitate getting me someone more long term.
Glad you found someone to talk to.

well, I moved out! I am still finishing getting everything out of the old place but it's no rush because I had to pay rent for February anyway. (I chose to pay rent for both places in Feb so no rush to move out, and then it all went faster than I'd guessed it would)

I'm daunted by the shared housing, that's for sure. biggest concern is sharing the fridge, in the larger context of sharing a kitchen. one of the roommates uses only two drawers (apparently living on lunchmeat/cheese sandwiches) and the married couple have the rest of it and it is STUFFED with their food.

there were a lot of issues, but by far was trying to "share" the kitchen with the grumpy old man upstairs. his wife is perfectly charming (and a good cook!) but he is nobody I want in my personal space and I am now DONE finding his food piled on top of mine because he would not respect my space.

I didn't see that man but once, sadly, and now I have someone new I'm working with. well, it's better than nothing, but my co-pay is $50 and that is a lot....like, what, half of a massage?

so I am now living in a Studio apartment - less than 300 square feet but I'm going to make it work.

having my own kitchen (especially) and bathroom is AWESOME!!!

:bacondance:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back