$1200 here and gone

Ok, my backup parent person (the one who will assume custody of our children if both Charles and I become deceased) went to ER today in Chicago. His xray revealed pneumonia. No COVID test. Z-pack plus isolation for 14 days.

Down the road, 1 person died at Dad's memory care of confirmed COVID . 52 deaths so far at the Soldier's Home where he stayed in Holyoke MA from Nov 18 until we moved him to near us in Jan 19.

Our friends down the street - my husband's classmate from university, in 40's pneumonia on x-ray, 17 year old son pneumonia. Wife and two younger kids at home no symptoms (yet).

People directly across the street - COVID husband just back from hospital. Scared wife.

One of my NYC employees has 6 family members in Long Island in the hospital with COVID, 2 on ventilators, a 7th died and had a video funeral. Everyone in our NYC office at least knows someone close who has COVID. Almost all have attended at least one video funeral.

It's no where near time to drop stay-at-home orders in any urban area in the states.

Ok, my backup parent person (the one who will assume custody of our children if both Charles and I become deceased) went to ER today in Chicago. His xray revealed pneumonia. No COVID test. Z-pack plus isolation for 14 days.

Down the road, 1 person died at Dad's memory care of confirmed COVID . 48 deaths so far at the Soldier's Home where he stayed in Holyoke MA from Nov 18 until we moved him to near us in Jan 19.

Our friends down the street - my husband's classmate from university, in 40's pneumonia on x-ray, 17 year old son pneumonia. Wife and two younger kids at home no symptoms (yet).
People across the street - COVID husband just back from hospital.

One of my NYC employees has 6 family members in Long Island in the hospital with COVID, 2 on ventilators, a 7th died and had a video funeral. Everyone in our NYC office at least knows someone close who has COVID. Almost all have attended at least one video funeral.

It's no where near time to drop stay-at-home orders in any urban area in the states.

Oh, Hilary...this is just so horribly sad.

:hugs:

It is frightening. I realized today that out of my Mothers seven children we all have friends that have passed or have been hospitalized with this virus. It is not some abstract or phantom threat. These are co-workers, family friends, ex-boyfriends, the kind nurse who made my Mother comfortable during her last hospital stay, the sweet little waitress at our favorite diner, and my neighbors Mother-in-law.

Locally initially very few people treated Covid-19 seriously. That is why we have such a large outbreak in this area. They thought it would pass in a week or two. Although they were advised to follow social distancing protocols they were going about their business as usual.

My family was took the precautions because of my Mother‘s and my brothers long term health issues. Frequent hand washing and avoiding people with symptoms is just second nature. When you have family members with fragile health you are fearful of exposing them to illness.

Friday my brother R called his friend K because he was unable to reach his friend T. That call also went unanswered. Later that day another friend called and was surprised my brother was so calm. He was shocked since he knew my brother, T, and K were so close the friend said he thought my brother would have been more upset to find out T was in the hospital and K was deceased. Both tested positive for Covid-19.

My brother D has lost one friend and another is hospitalized with the virus. He has also been notified of 3 colleagues that have tested positive. He is a program director at a college. They will not have live classes until September at the earliest. Even the summer sessions will be online.

I understand the need to get back to work. My fear is that people will return to work and return to business as usual and that will lead to deadly consequences. In my area of New York they have been forced to close parks and beaches because people were having large gatherings. My fear is their reckless behavior will lead to unnecessary loss of lives.

It is frightening. I realized today that out of my Mothers seven children we all have friends that have passed or have been hospitalized with this virus. It is not some abstract or phantom threat. These are co-workers, family friends, ex-boyfriends, the kind nurse who made my Mother comfortable during her last hospital stay, the sweet little waitress at our favorite diner, and my neighbors Mother-in-law.

Locally initially very few people treated Covid-19 seriously. That is why we have such a large outbreak in this area. They thought it would pass in a week or two. Although they were advised to follow social distancing protocols they were going about their business as usual.

My family was took the precautions because of my Mother‘s and my brothers long term health issues. Frequent hand washing and avoiding people with symptoms is just second nature. When you have family members with fragile health you are fearful of exposing them to illness.

Friday my brother R called his friend K because he was unable to reach his friend T. That call also went unanswered. Later that day another friend called and was surprised my brother was so calm. He was shocked since he knew my brother, T, and K were so close the friend said he thought my brother would have been more upset to find out T was in the hospital and K was deceased. Both tested positive for Covid-19.

My brother D has lost one friend and another is hospitalized with the virus. He has also been notified of 3 colleagues that have tested positive. He is a program director at a college. They will not have live classes until September at the earliest. Even the summer sessions will be online.

I understand the need to get back to work. My fear is that people will return to work and return to business as usual and that will lead to deadly consequences. In my area of New York they have been forced to close parks and beaches because people were having large gatherings. My fear is their reckless behavior will lead to unnecessary loss of lives.

Again, tragic and my condolences to you and your family.

There are many SANE people who are convinced that, at this point, things are under control. There are many SANE experts who explain that the control ceases once restriction is lifted. I’m not sure.

What I feel pretty sure about is that these morons, most of whom had the time to grab weapons and make signs, seem to lack the common sense to maintain a reasonsble distance from each other and wear masks or gloves. They SAY they want to go back to work. I’d like to know where, so that I can NEVER go there. But since this is how they act NOW, what TF will they do when given what they interpret as an “all clear?”

Or is just that the bars they usually inhabit are closed?

I saw a woman on the news stating she wants to her reopen her business ASAP. She sells blouses. I understand the need to make a living but if earning that living costs you your life isn’t it an exercise in futility? I want to know who in the middle of a pandemic has such a need for a blouse that they would risk death or serious illness.

I think if we proceed with caution we can reduce the loss of lives. The preservation of life must trump economics. We can recover from economic recession but death is final.

If it’s a traditional IRA, can you wait until you’re 70 1/2 yrs old? I’ve had to make withdrawals and pay taxes on those, when we’d have been better off with the money sitting there for an emergency.

Right now, I’m trying to figure how to get out and buy veggie plants to grow right here...because COVID-19.

I did the math.
Last year, when I turned 66, I became eligible for my spousal share of Charles’ SS benefits, without capping my own (much larger) benefit. It is $800/mo.
My own benefit will grown to almost exactly $3000/mo in August, when I turn 67.
If I wait until I turn 70, my benefit will grow to about $3500/mo.
In the meantime, I lose $2200/mo, or $26,400. Times 3 = $79,200
If I wait until I turn 70, to get $500 more/mo, or $6000 more/year, it will take me until I’m 81+ to break even, not counting the loss of upside on my savings. (Assuming there’s will BE an upside, of course.)

The mandatory withdrawal age has recently changed. I think to 72.5.

Yeah. We will start drawing ASAP. I do not gamble, and life is short. Plus, if I plan on doing the opposite, with my luck they will change the rules.

Down the road, 1 person died at Dad's memory care of confirmed COVID . 52 deaths so far at the Soldier's Home where he stayed in Holyoke MA from Nov 18 until we moved him to near us in Jan 19.

People directly across the street - COVID husband just back from hospital. Scared wife.

I'm so sorry.

My fear is their reckless behavior will lead to unnecessary loss of lives.

:(

Well, back to JackieOnLine ‘s OP, we finally got ours.
Even though we file, we haven’t had to pay in or get a refund in almost a decade. So ours came by check.
  1. it wasn’t sent in the first batch
  2. it was sent to our mail forwarding service so we had to wait til our arrival here to get it sent.
  3. even sent WITH a tracking number, it sat in the Detroit mail sorting facility, it stayed there til this morning, (almost a week).
But we got it, deposited it, and turned around paid some of the unexpected expenses we incurred since Mar 30th. Like the lot rent at the campground going from 895.00 for March to 1395.00 for April (it goes to 3600.00 a month for the summer months). We originally had 800.00 budgeted for April. For the cost of two new commercial truck tires (800.00) because we ran over a screw. And for the Sunday vet visit for Lucy on our travel north. She had an infection in her intestines apparently. That was over 500.00. The remainder went to savings.

Are these protests really about rights defined in the constitution?

Don’t think I need to add this, but I will: when these protestors show up brandishing weapons of war, carrying Nazi flags, waving around photos of aborted/miscarried fetuses, screaming “lock her up” while holding posters of HRC, screaming at reporters, shoving John 3:16 placards at people, waving the Gadsden and Confederate flags, accusing their governors of treason, comparing a few weeks of closed business to the Holocaust or slavery...when that happens, I suspect they have lost their “focus,” and reopening business might not be their actual goal.

Don’t think I need to add this, but I will: when these protestors show up brandishing weapons of war, carrying Nazi flags, waving around photos of aborted/miscarried fetuses, screaming “lock her up” while holding posters of HRC, screaming at reporters, shoving John 3:16 placards at people, waving the Gadsden and Confederate flags, accusing their governors of treason, comparing a few weeks of closed business to the Holocaust or slavery...when that happens, I suspect they have lost their “focus,” and reopening business might not be their actual goal.
I love your insightfulness and clarity. I don't doubt their goal is vigilante anarchy. Why do people not see that there are more terrorists in the USA intent on bringing down the government than any so-called foreign terrorists?

Latest posts

Back