$1200 here and gone

It is frightening. I realized today that out of my Mothers seven children we all have friends that have passed or have been hospitalized with this virus. It is not some abstract or phantom threat. These are co-workers, family friends, ex-boyfriends, the kind nurse who made my Mother comfortable during her last hospital stay, the sweet little waitress at our favorite diner, and my neighbors Mother-in-law.

Locally initially very few people treated Covid-19 seriously. That is why we have such a large outbreak in this area. They thought it would pass in a week or two. Although they were advised to follow social distancing protocols they were going about their business as usual.

My family was took the precautions because of my Mother‘s and my brothers long term health issues. Frequent hand washing and avoiding people with symptoms is just second nature. When you have family members with fragile health you are fearful of exposing them to illness.

Friday my brother R called his friend K because he was unable to reach his friend T. That call also went unanswered. Later that day another friend called and was surprised my brother was so calm. He was shocked since he knew my brother, T, and K were so close the friend said he thought my brother would have been more upset to find out T was in the hospital and K was deceased. Both tested positive for Covid-19.

My brother D has lost one friend and another is hospitalized with the virus. He has also been notified of 3 colleagues that have tested positive. He is a program director at a college. They will not have live classes until September at the earliest. Even the summer sessions will be online.

I understand the need to get back to work. My fear is that people will return to work and return to business as usual and that will lead to deadly consequences. In my area of New York they have been forced to close parks and beaches because people were having large gatherings. My fear is their reckless behavior will lead to unnecessary loss of lives.

Very sorry to hear this. Just tragic.

I understand Governor Cuomo has extended the lockdown through mid-June for most of NY.

I live on Long Island and we're ending our 9th week in lockdown. My father was in a nursing home/assisted living center since 2013 (he passed on 5.2 but was tested twice and was negative). They've been extremely proactive and canceled any visits 9 weeks ago. Residents stay in their rooms, etc,. and they have virtual programs and visits. They currently have 6 residents in the nursing home with the virus and none in the assisted living center. (I know they've had several deaths). They have had staff contract it but no new cases in the last few weeks. I'm grateful for the care they provided my father for the last 7 years and also grateful that he didn't really have any idea what was going on these last few months.

Last edited:
aaa , my condolences - especially since you could not be with him.

I’m so glad my father is living with us now, where we can try to keep him safe, although he has many potential contacts with medical appointments. At least they know how to mitigate (not eliminate) potential infections.

I'm grateful for the care they provided my father for the last 7 years and also grateful that he didn't really have any idea what was going on these last few months.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

at the nursing home where I work (in non-covid times there are two facilities) they are doing their best but it's still heart-breaking when people don't understand why they family doesn't visit, or they can't go to bingo. I know at least one dementia patient who is still scared of people in masks.

but, in some cases it really is a blessing they no longer know what is going on.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

at the nursing home where I work (in non-covid times there are two facilities) they are doing their best but it's still heart-breaking when people don't understand why they family doesn't visit, or they can't go to bingo. I know at least one dementia patient who is still scared of people in masks.

but, in some cases it really is a blessing they no longer know what is going on.
That is incredibly upsetting.

My mother spent everyday with him there (except when she was ill). They were able to Skype twice but he pretty much slept through it. You’re right. We’re lucky he wasn’t really aware of what was going on. He just took it all in stride and slept most of the time.

I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I live on Long Island also and I have been pleased with Governor Cuomo’s leadership during the pandemic. I am just worried that other officials are not being as responsible.

Very sorry to hear this. Just tragic.

I understand Governor Cuomo has extended the lockdown through mid-June for most of NY.

I live on Long Island and we're ending our 9th week in lockdown. My father was in a nursing home/assisted living center since 2013 (he passed on 5.2 but was tested twice and was negative). They've been extremely proactive and canceled any visits 9 weeks ago. Residents stay in their rooms, etc,. and they have virtual programs and visits. They currently have 6 residents in the nursing home with the virus and none in the assisted living center. (I know they've had several deaths). They have had staff contract it but no new cases in the last few weeks. I'm grateful for the care they provided my father for the last 7 years and also grateful that he didn't really have any idea what was going on these last few months.

I am so sorry about your loss.

Just an aside, one of the tests is good on Positive results, but only 30% of the Negative results are accurate. If you want to know for sure, you might find out the name of the tests he was given

~~~~
I hope this isn’t “too soon,” but…
there is a MINOR bit of relief to the survivors who are “not able to be there.” When my mom died, seven years ago, it took me about 20-30 minutes to get there. I went into her teeny, tiny private room at the ALF and first, her electric blanket was still on…so she was warm; and her eyes kept opening, even when staff gently closed them; and that amounted to confusing me, since wasn’t QUITE ready for her to be dead.

Anyway, still seven years later, THAT’S the image that pops to the front of “my mind’s eye” when I think of my mommy. It eventually moves over and the image appropriate to the thought or story of the moment arrives...but, dammit, that’s NOT where I want my “image file” to go when I think of her. And I’m glad that I absolutely demanded that MiniSue stay away because even though she’d be a bit of a mess at the job interview she had that morning, no one would believe the “my grandma died” excuse. So that is NOT the first image that fills up her mind’s eye.

I hope your Dad Images give you peace.

MsVee I think Cuomo has done a pretty good job, too. I just wish he’d started some measures a bit earlier. But that’s water under the bridge and I like to look forward for all of us.

Spiky Bugger You're right. The nursing home offered to text some pictures to me of his last few days. I understand he'd lost a ton of weight and since my mother seems to have forgotten about the offer I haven't said anything.

Latest posts

Back