1 week and 2 days post op

Amber

I had my ds on May 8. Everything is going pretty good. I get my fluids down. I never take less than 64oz in a day. Protein hasn't been a success, but im not to worried about that. I will get there. I didn't have nausea, but the last 2 days I've been nauseous. I take prilosec daily. I also have phenergan as needed. I know nausea is normal, and i'm not worried about it, but I am curious about this exhaustion. I am so exhausted. After taking a shower and getting dressed for the day, I am ready for a nap. I am always exhausted. The smallest activity and I need a nap. I dont usually get one, but I want it. Anyone else deal with extreme exhaustion, and how long did it last.

Of course you are exhausted, you don't need to push through anything, rest when you want to. The only thing you need to do right now is walk a little here and there throughout the day and keep up with your hydration (great job by the way). Rest, walk, sip, repeat. Feel better soon.

Glad to know it's normal. I figured it was. It makes sense since I just had major surgery, but it's kicking my butt. I am ready for it to go away.

Amber, First, welcome to the dark side! I'm glad your recovery seems to be going well - exhaustion is definitely to be expected alongside of nausea, though neither are fun to endure. Take those naps your body wants. You can heal while you sleep and this is definitely at time to take it easy. I'm sure I slept more hours than I spent awake for the first few weeks. Rest and keep hydrated and get ready for a new and wonderful future!!!!

Oy. I remember showering being a monumental task in the first few post op weeks. My legs would get so weak, and I always made sure someone was home. I didn't have the stamina to shave my legs AND wash my hair in the same session! It was one or the other. Then a nap. Try to nap when you can! Your sleep schedule is bound to be off for the next couple weeks, so get it when you can!

Congrats on your surgery! Get ready for your life completely changing, and all the fun clothes shopping that comes with!

Thanks everyone! I am happy to be on this side. I have my first post op appointment tomorrow, so I will get my first weigh in, and be told if I am moving on to soft solids. We will see how it goes!

Had to edit because I said preop!

Last edited:
10 days out and I had my first post op appointment! I still cannot believe I am saying post op. Everything is going good. I have lost 16 pounds in those 10 days. I am now able to start smooth solids. I had some cottage cheese earlier, and it has sat really good. I hope it stays like that. I was pleased to hear the nutritionist say that fat was a freebie and to not get anything that is low/no fat. I hear so many stories where people are given awful instructions. It was also a relief that she said I will soon need to start taking in vitamins other than the multi and iron. She said start introducing them one day then another a couple days later. I was impressed that she knew this stuff, and she also said I will need to order them because they need to be dry. These are things I definitely already knew, but I was pleased that she did too! I think figuring out my vitamins will be one of my biggest challenges. Vitaladys DS starter kit has given me an idea of where to start, but I know it will take me a little bit to really get it figured out!

10 days out and I had my first post op appointment! I still cannot believe I am saying post op. Everything is going good. I have lost 16 pounds in those 10 days. I am now able to start smooth solids. I had some cottage cheese earlier, and it has sat really good. I hope it stays like that. I was pleased to hear the nutritionist say that fat was a freebie and to not get anything that is low/no fat. I hear so many stories where people are given awful instructions. It was also a relief that she said I will soon need to start taking in vitamins other than the multi and iron. She said start introducing them one day then another a couple days later. I was impressed that she knew this stuff, and she also said I will need to order them because they need to be dry. These are things I definitely already knew, but I was pleased that she did too! I think figuring out my vitamins will be one of my biggest challenges. Vitaladys DS starter kit has given me an idea of where to start, but I know it will take me a little bit to really get it figured out!
Who was your surgeon? This is great that the NUT is apparently aware of some of the DS real needs. A big WooHoo! on the weight loss.

My surgeon was Kemmeter. He had told me this info at all my preop appointments, which is one of the reasons I was confident with him. He not only knew how to perform the surgery, but he knew facts about the DS that many surgeons didn't discuss. I was surprised when the NUT seemed to be on top of it too. I still plan to take complete control of my vitamin decisions based off my own labs, but I was still pleased that I was treated as a true DS patient and not just any WLS patient.

I also have to add that I had my first appointment with Kemmeter on Feb 17 and weighed 327. Surgery weight on May 8 was 301 Today I was 286 :)

Latest posts

Back