What is a down side of having DS?

I don't really care for Krispy Kreme's but I don't care for In and out Burger either. I don't prefer many foods as most people. My diet really isn't all that bad, it's quantity. Huge quantities of food.

The rush is a matter of time off. I have not taken a vacation in 2 years, this is the 3rd year. This year there is a new policy and if I do not take the vacation time I will lose it. There really is a rush to do it by the end of the year or I will have only a week off next year. I could take two weeks off and then work from home for a week or so but I really can't take more than 2 weeks off right now. My job involves a great deal of research and then I have to stop and write it out. I am done with research, now I must write it out so that is why I can take a couple of weeks off now, I can write and recover at the same time.

The other issue is that December is out of the question, others are taking time off that month. It needs to happen in the next 6-8 weeks.

I am over 50.

I don't really care for Krispy Kreme's but I don't care for In and out Burger either. I don't prefer many foods as most people. My diet really isn't all that bad, it's quantity. Huge quantities of food.

The rush is a matter of time off. I have not taken a vacation in 2 years, this is the 3rd year. This year there is a new policy and if I do not take the vacation time I will lose it. There really is a rush to do it by the end of the year or I will have only a week off next year. I could take two weeks off and then work from home for a week or so but I really can't take more than 2 weeks off right now. My job involves a great deal of research and then I have to stop and write it out. I am done with research, now I must write it out so that is why I can take a couple of weeks off now, I can write and recover at the same time.

The other issue is that December is out of the question, others are taking time off that month. It needs to happen in the next 6-8 weeks.

I am over 50.

Yeah...good age for the DS. It is my unscientific opinion that the very young will have to be very compliant for FIVE OR SIX DECADES and that might be too much to ask of most people.

I was 59 when I had my revision from the band.

I would wish for less gas, for sure! As that is my only real downside (my hair is growing back), I will take the gas over probable type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, swollen feet, ankles and hands, miserably sore hips, ankles and knees, plus the 105 extra pounds. No brainer!

I have seen your posts on another board, and I have the following observations:

(1) You are being utterly foolish and shortsighted about the amount of time you are going to need to take off after surgery. And you are probably completely overemphasizing your importance at your place of business, and their inability to get along without you. AND you are not even asking yourself WHY you don't think you are entitled to take off sufficient time to recuperate. What if you had a fucking HEART ATTACK tomorrow? What would happen to your work while you recuperated from that, for chrissakes?? What will happen if you have a complication (it happens, even with the smallest surgeries and bariatric surgery is not small) and you have to stay in the hospital for three weeks? Will the world come to an end? Will your company go out of business? And even if the answer to THAT is yes, will the world come to an end? What are you going to do for the first couple of months, where the odds are you are going to be shitting loose stools URGENTLY? Wear a diaper because you are too important to take time off and recuperate with a bathroom handy until your guts settle down?

(2) Who is your surgeon? There is only ONE DS surgeon in Mexico whom the majority of experienced DS vets (myself included) will endorse - and we've seen some TERRIBLE outcomes (including death) with others.

(3) The odds of a volume eater being able to make a VSG work are between slim and none, and slim left the building.

I have seen your posts on another board, and I have the following observations:

(1) You are being utterly foolish and shortsighted about the amount of time you are going to need to take off after surgery. And you are probably completely overemphasizing your importance at your place of business, and their inability to get along without you. AND you are not even asking yourself WHY you don't think you are entitled to take off sufficient time to recuperate. What if you had a fucking HEART ATTACK tomorrow? What would happen to your work while you recuperated from that, for chrissakes?? What will happen if you have a complication (it happens, even with the smallest surgeries and bariatric surgery is not small) and you have to stay in the hospital for three weeks? Will the world come to an end? Will your company go out of business? And even if the answer to THAT is yes, will the world come to an end? What are you going to do for the first couple of months, where the odds are you are going to be shitting loose stools URGENTLY? Wear a diaper because you are too important to take time off and recuperate with a bathroom handy until your guts settle down?

(2) Who is your surgeon? There is only ONE DS surgeon in Mexico whom the majority of experienced DS vets (myself included) will endorse - and we've seen some TERRIBLE outcomes (including death) with others.

(3) The odds of a volume eater being able to make a VSG work are between slim and none, and slim left the building.
This makes me think of a new tagline: Buckle Up For The Candor!
Wow. Definitely some interesting points. Eyeopening points.

J.

This makes me think of a new tagline: Buckle Up For The Candor!
Wow. Definitely some interesting points. Eyeopening points.

J.
As I said, I've seen her posts and her being argumentative with others trying to more gently make the same point with her - she NEEDS to take a more realistic view of what this surgery - whether VSG or DS - entails. She's over 50 - she is NOT likely to bounce back from having her guts sliced and diced like a 30 year old. I believe I saw that she spends a LOT of time on the road, and can't take time to go to the bathroom. Her mindset is VERY unrealistic.

Oh, and on that other site, you were told by the site owner that the only two acceptable Mexican DS surgeons were Ungson and Aceves. Somehow, she seems to have missed the news that shocked the entire bariatric community months ago - Aceves died in a plane crash.

I can't stand NYBitch, but in this case, she is mostly correct.

Last edited:

I'm glad you wrote this because I am a volume eating and I will prove you wrong. um, pretty soon now. yes as soon as...oh, hell. TODAY, I will start TODAY. *shaking fist*

the deal with the donuts (of any type) is I can eat ALL I WANT. it takes longer than pre-op and I feel worse. in other words, I still have to choose not to.

I appreciate your concern for my health, honestly I do. But the reality is very simple. If I do not work my family does not eat. Life isn't perfect. I did not have a heart attack this is a surgery I may choose. It has nothing in the world to do with my company surviving without me. You call it foolish, in the real world I do not have a choice. My other option is no surgery.

I am aware that Dr. Aceves died. He was not on my list anyway.

I am very comfortable with my decision on surgeons. I was not asking for surgeon suggestions, but I thank you anyway. The doctor I am going to works out of the same hospital as Dr. Aceves and helped to proctor Aceves along with Dr. Ungson. Since it is my risk, it is my choice. I understand you do not approve of him, that is your prerogative. In the end it is my choice. I work in California and I have many contacts. People who live there, people who work there, people who work in the hospital, they are all suggesting my surgeon. I agree with them. I thank you for your concern.

I haven't read all the posts, but @Daphne , please give your password to someone if you go to Mexicali and have anyone BUT Ungson do your surgery.

Google Larissa's story. I'm not bothering to look it up for you. I don't believe in spoon feeding someone research THEY should be doing. Hell, go talk to Larissa personally. Ask HER if she would use your choice of surgeons. She almost died using a butcher of a surgeon in Mexico, and she was just as defiant as you are. Good luck with that.

The DS requires you to be smarter than the average WLS patient. If you cannot even listen to veterans giving you solid advice, get the sleeve and move on. The first qualification to having the DS is critical thinking and reasoning. You've flunked.

Wow. This is some great advise coming from our resident DSers @Daphne

I've made a few mistakes along the way as for my eating habits and food choices. I didn't really listen to all the sage advice coming from those who had the surgery (RNY) before I did. That was a mistake on my part. I hope you don't make the same mistake, because it sounds like you may be...

J.

I have listened to you, I just disagree. I will not use Dr. Ungson, that does not mean I am going to die. Dr. Ungson is not the only good surgeon in the entire country of Mexico. It is a pretty big place.

If I use Dr. Ungson he will fly into Mexicali the day of my surgery and return home that evening. A Lap Band surgeon will do the rest of my care including complications. I do not believe you would agree to that in my place. Dr. Ungson feels it is a good move. I disagree with him.

You do not even know who my surgeon is and you are just sure I am an idiot because I do not agree with you. I did not ask for surgeon suggestions. You are the same people that thought I should use an inexperienced dead surgeon. My surgeon helped to proctor your dead surgeon so I feel confident you do not know all the surgeons in Mexico.

Excuse me?! Nobody on THIS board told you to use a dead surgeon. I believe it was Diana Cox who said that Dr. Aceves was dead and that it was Kelly on the Proboards forum who advised you to use either Dr. Ungson or Dr. Aceves. If you are going to put words in people's mouths please make sure that they are the correct ones. Having said that I hope that your outcome is everything that you believe it will be...

Wow is right.

I should have clarified. All the people telling me how stupid I am because I do not agree with people on the internet and I must go to Ungson; I have grouped everyone together. Perhaps I am confusing all the slams and insults. I apologize. I am having a hard time keeping up with all of them.

Raise your hand, who here would go to a DS surgeon and have a Lap Band surgeon follow you through potential complications? A lap band surgeon that has done about 200 Lap Bands and about 30 sleeves. Who here believes that is a wise decision? That is what Dr. Ungson is suggesting.

The Lap Band surgeon is advertised as having 800 sleeves at Almater Hospital. This is the same coordinator now working with Dr. Ungson. If you call the coordinator's friend in administration at a very specific phone number the nice lady in Administration of the hospital will tell you yes, the Lap Band surgeon has done 800 sleeves and 500 bands. If you talk to the owner of the hospital as well as the OR staff and nurses they say 30 sleeves and less than 200 Lap Bands.

This is the surgeon Dr. Ungson has take over his patients when he goes home the day of my surgery.

I never suggested Dr. Ungson is not a good surgeon. He's just not going to be my surgeon.

Latest posts

Back