What is a down side of having DS?

The gas for sure!!!! Yes it is controllable (somewhat)...but damn!

@LindaDarnell @Renzryd -- Just mentioning...this Daphne (she has other names, mostly Michelle) is a con artist who posts here and at other boards to drum up business for a surgeon...and then she gets a fee--your money--that the good surgeons don't have to pay to "coordinators."

@LindaDarnell Are you named after the olden-times actress...or did you "marry into" that nane, or is it a screen name? I may be one of the few for whom the name Linda Darnell brings back old memories! lol

Last edited:
In case you are at the stage where you are comparing weight loss surgeries...

See, one day, some of us wls people got together and described what happened if we wanted to eat a couple of Krispy Kremes. (We WERE drinking at the time.) Here is what we decided...

The LapBand people could TRY to eat them, but would probably get plugged up and barf before they finished.
The RnY people COULD eat them...but preferred to have a "planned dump," crawling into bed first, with a wastebasket to barf into, a cold towel to get them through the dumping episode, because--for a while--they were going to wish they were dead.
The DS people could eat them and carry on as if nothing had happened...for a few hours...and then go home and have ugly diarrhea...and people sharing their bathroom with a doughnut-eating DSer would wish they...or the DSer...were dead.

Bottom line...we decided that if none of us did anything stupid, nothing ugly was likely to happen...which meant that none of us needed doughnuts.
I know this an old thread, but I just came across this and I needed this laugh!!

@LindaDarnell @Renzryd -- Just mentioning...this Daphne (she has other names, mostly Michelle) is a con artist who posts here and at other boards to drum up business for a surgeon...and then she gets a fee--your money--that the good surgeons don't have to pay to "coordinators."

@LindaDarnell Are you named after the olden-times actress...or did you "marry into" that nane, or is it a screen name? I may be one of the few for whom the name Linda Darnell brings back old memories! lol
Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here?

Maybe? Did you have time enough to read that "Daphne" who started this thread is a con-artist/coordinator for a Mexican doctor? If you see others heading in her direction...her name is Michele Walsh, warn them to be very careful.

Hi Spiky! First, sorry about the delayed response...Ive been too swamped lately to check in here but I do miss it. Second, thanks for warning me about the con!! #welldamn no forum is off limits I see.
To answer your question, yes it's a screen name for ME , but it is the real name of someone very clise to me. And yes, she was named for the actress...which very few people even know about anymore

Hi Spiky! First, sorry about the delayed response...Ive been too swamped lately to check in here but I do miss it. Second, thanks for warning me about the con!! #welldamn no forum is off limits I see.
To answer your question, yes it's a screen name for ME , but it is the real name of someone very clise to me. And yes, she was named for the actress...which very few people even know about anymore

Yea..well..old age (me) helps sometimes! I often AMAZE millennials when I tell them that television "came on" in the morning, sometimes as early as 6, "went off" at 10 or 11 at night, and you had to get up and walk to the tv to change channels or volume. Kinda like the old folks who tell kids they walked three miles to and from school...uphill both ways.

So this is discouraging because this thread really looked interesting to me until it went crazy. I wanted more responses to the original question.

So this is discouraging because this thread really looked interesting to me until it went crazy. I wanted more responses to the original question.

Well then, for ME, a downside is constantly having to remind medical professionals that I didn't have the RnY. I sent this to a friend yesterday:

And, my new PCP said "I have quite a few patients that had your bariatric surgery and we don't normally test for all of these."

I not-too-gently said, "I suspect that I might be your ONLY patient who has THIS surgery...biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch...NOT the RnY gastric bypass."

She said, "Why did you have that one?"

I said, "Because even though I am technically obese, I am 12 years post-op and still down 112 pounds. Almost all my RnY friends have massive regain, a disproportionate percentage have MS and I have observed others who are having psych problems, perhaps related to what is called 'bariatric beriberi'."

She said, "So, is every four months okay? It seems a bit much."

I said, "If a patient with normal anatomy has a Vit D deficiency, you can prescribe 50k mg of Vit D, once a week, and they get better. If I show a Vit D deficiency, it is in spite of the fact that I take 21 times that much Vit D every week. It is a real challenge to dig out of that hole."

She MIGHT be trainable...and I will be getting copper and zinc tested for the first time.

Latest posts

Back