What is a down side of having DS?

Daphne

I'm really interested in knowing the whole story on DS. Every surgery type has pros and cons. If there was just one thing you could change about DS, what would it be? Less gas? Fewer vitamins?

I really need to make a decision quickly and I would be most interested in both the good and bad of DS. I have heard much of the good, there has to be a down side as with any surgery.

I was already to go with VSG and my surgeon's office suggested I consider other options. They feel VSG or DS would be ideal for me. I have a surgery date set but I may change it due to a change in surgery. I am unsure.

I have read about bowel obstructions, anemia, and other complications. How often do these occur?

Thank you.

Only downside *I* have is being lactose intolerant still even at 3.5 years out. I can handle yogurt, cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, half and half but NOT regular drinking milk or ice cream, even the very good brands. My dh on the other hand is NOT lactose intolerant and drinks a big glass of reg milk EVERY morning, THE BRAT!!!! :)

I just realized that you are an administrator. Do you mind if I PM you? I have a question about a thread on non surgeon reviews and I'm not sure I should post it.

So, as far as downsides...
1- I spend a lot of money on vitamins.
2- I do have to be cautious of what I'm eating and when in order to not have embarrassing situations in public.
3- I lost most of my hair.
BUT
1- The vitamins aren't exorbitant.
2- It's not a big deal to keep on top of, it helps keep me on track, plus I had IBS before so it's not really tremendously different.
3- my hair is growing back. Who knows if it'll be as thick as it was before, but the trade off is ok with me. I have my life back :)

In case you are at the stage where you are comparing weight loss surgeries...

See, one day, some of us wls people got together and described what happened if we wanted to eat a couple of Krispy Kremes. (We WERE drinking at the time.) Here is what we decided...

The LapBand people could TRY to eat them, but would probably get plugged up and barf before they finished.
The RnY people COULD eat them...but preferred to have a "planned dump," crawling into bed first, with a wastebasket to barf into, a cold towel to get them through the dumping episode, because--for a while--they were going to wish they were dead.
The DS people could eat them and carry on as if nothing had happened...for a few hours...and then go home and have ugly diarrhea...and people sharing their bathroom with a doughnut-eating DSer would wish they...or the DSer...were dead.

Bottom line...we decided that if none of us did anything stupid, nothing ugly was likely to happen...which meant that none of us needed doughnuts.

I'm almost eight years out and have no down sides to report. So far, so good. I really love being able to eat things like bacon with abandon and drink my morning tea with a big shot of heavy cream :).

ETA: Oopsie, it's late and I'm getting distracted. Let me add that I was dying when I had my DS, so that colors my perspective in ways that might be foreign to someone who was not as sick from their morbid obesity as I was.

Spiky,

It has been a very long and stressful day for many reasons. I think that is the first time I have laughed today. What would happen to someone with VSG?

Elizabeth,

I am not sure I would want cream in my tea, I rather prefer it plain but I see your point.'

I think I have been told every extreme there is to weight loss surgery today. Everything farts and tarts (that is a story) to it is impossible to lose weight and maintain my loss without DS. This forum is a breath of fresh air. (All things considered.)

Spiky,

It has been a very long and stressful day for many reasons. I think that is the first time I have laughed today. What would happen to someone with VSG?

LOL...I wondered that while typing! That conversation took place about nine years ago. And...at that time...the sleeve was common only as the "top part" of the DS.

I think...just a guess...that the VSG person would have no problems (they might get only one doughnut down)...which would lead to weight gain if they had the kind of self-control I do. My sister follows rules better than I...she had the sleeve. I have to ask her how she is doing.

The moral to this story is I need to get the VSG if I want Krispy Kremes! This is the advice I was looking for!
You DID read the part where I mentioned weight gain, right? Matter of fact, you can eat Krispy Kremes now, right?

Why the rush on a decision and, because it makes a difference in my opinion, how old are you?

Latest posts

Back