VBG to DS Revision ?'s (Surgeon Decisions)

Thanks @Elizabeth N. Anything I find out on this journey which (I think) is pertinent to others I'll share. I combed the boards and the internet about the VBG to DS revision. The VBG is an old surgery and there's not much about revision on the boards. I found one person on another board that had the surgery, but he was no longer active. In fact, when I called Dr. Simper's office yesterdat a.m., the receptionist didn't know what a VBG was - she put me on hold for about 20 mins

I think there must be a lot of new receptionists out there. I called Dr. Kemmeter's office this a.m. to find out the cost of the surgery. Again, put on hold for a very long time before she came back with this:
  • $250 initial appt
  • $4,500 their fees
  • anywhere from $11,000 to $20,000
I asked if she had specifics for the types of revision surgeries, as she didn't ask me what type of revision. Plus I told her I was out of country and were there any allowances for that (the initial appt being done by phone, etc). She said no (instead of checking). I felt like leaving it at that, but I did email the clinic after that call just to see if I would get a further response. This is what I sent:
I called your office about the price of self-pay revision surgery.
Your receptionist tried to help me, but I was left a bit confused. I asked the price for self pay revision surgery with Dr. Kemmeter. I am self pay, without insurance, since I am in Canada.
She put me on hold and I assumed I would be transferred to someone.
She came back on the line with this:
$250 for initial appt
$4500 their fee
$11,000-20,000 for hospital fee.
What puzzles me is that I wasn't asked the type of revision surgery (FYI VBG to DS). All the other surgeons I have contacted do have a price set (approximately, barring complications) for these surgeries.
If you could help me further, I would appreciate it.
If not, I will move onto other surgeons.
Regards,
Jill
Will update if I receive any more specific information.

Thanks @Elizabeth N. Anything I find out on this journey which (I think) is pertinent to others I'll share. I combed the boards and the internet about the VBG to DS revision. The VBG is an old surgery and there's not much about revision on the boards. I found one person on another board that had the surgery, but he was no longer active. In fact, when I called Dr. Simper's office yesterdat a.m., the receptionist didn't know what a VBG was - she put me on hold for about 20 mins

I think there must be a lot of new receptionists out there. I called Dr. Kemmeter's office this a.m. to find out the cost of the surgery. Again, put on hold for a very long time before she came back with this:
  • $250 initial appt
  • $4,500 their fees
  • anywhere from $11,000 to $20,000
I asked if she had specifics for the types of revision surgeries, as she didn't ask me what type of revision. Plus I told her I was out of country and were there any allowances for that (the initial appt being done by phone, etc). She said no (instead of checking). I felt like leaving it at that, but I did email the clinic after that call just to see if I would get a further response. This is what I sent:

Will update if I receive any more specific information.
The only person I can think of that revised from aVBG to DS is on another site and has been very ill from un/misdiagnosed problems so I don't know if she's even online these days. I do know that she went to Dr. Keshishian in CA though.

The only person I can think of that revised from aVBG to DS is on another site and has been very ill from un/misdiagnosed problems so I don't know if she's even online these days. I do know that she went to Dr. Keshishian in CA though.
Thanks @brooklyngirl. I @Mary_J has also had a revision, but she's kept her VBG and just had the intestinal portion done. If that's my only choice, I'll take it, but it would be nice to be able to eat naturally again without obstructions and emesis. :)

Thanks @brooklyngirl. I @Mary_J has also had a revision, but she's kept her VBG and just had the intestinal portion done. If that's my only choice, I'll take it, but it would be nice to be able to eat naturally again without obstructions and emesis. :)
I could be totally wrong, but I think the complications she had stemmed from the mess the VBG did to her stomach and the intense work required to remove it. I don't use that site anymore, just lurk once in a while to see how the people (that I actually liked) and never made it over here are doing. Maybe someone that uses PB can clarify? @Millie do you know how Diane/DeeDee is doing?

EN, I love you, but if I ever visit with you it will be in Montana. But yes, you do improve NJ!

Jill, you are doing a great job with your research, and thank you for posting everything. This information will be invaluable for others who need to self-pay for revisions of either VBG or RNY to DS. We are seeing new people seeking revision all the time.

Thanks for checking for me @brooklyngirl. I also met a fellow Canuck that had a VBG to DS revision through Dr. L. No complications, but she's not totally certain he put much of a sleeve in because she didn't experience much restriction. He and his office told her that it was because she had previously had a VBG and that's why she didn't feel restricted. Which is possible, I guess.

Thanks @Larra.

I just heard back from Baltasar. This is the reply:
Your BMI is 44
VBG can be converted to SFG (Sleeve-forming gastrectomy)
You do not need a DS
Cost for revision is 16.000€ all included
Btw that's about $21,500. I'll attach the info he gave on SFG (which is the same as the VSG from what the document states), it's a great document. I replied back asking if he was willing to do the sleeve as I didn't want to wait until I was a higher BMI.

UPDATE - He emailed back, responding that the DS was 2.000€ (approx $2,700) more. Out of my price range.
Sorry @Larra, no Spain!

I'm down to two doctors - Marchesini and Greenbaum. I've made a phone appointment with Greenbaum on the 22nd Aug, and waiting to hear back from Dr. Marchesini to his availability (he Skypes).

Attachments

• 0 Gastric Sleeve.compressed.pdf
    149.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I could be totally wrong, but I think the complications she had stemmed from the mess the VBG did to her stomach and the intense work required to remove it. I don't use that site anymore, just lurk once in a while to see how the people (that I actually liked) and never made it over here are doing. Maybe someone that uses PB can clarify? @Millie do you know how Diane/DeeDee is doing?
I don't per se know her but she had just been switched when I started researching. I saw last week or the week before that she had a leak that now healed, she was finally able to be seen at the Cleveland clinic and it was found that she had an abcess (maybe 2 I can't remember). She did have a collapsed lung at one point. It seemed like she still had a hard row to hoe but since they had finally found out the cause of the problem it looked like she would be ok in the end.

Well Jill, Spain will just have to wait. It looks like you have better options.

And while I have great respect for Dr. Baltasar, I disagree with him about someone with a bmi of 44 not being a candidate for a DS. That bmi clearly meets the standard criteria for bariatric surgery, and the AMSBS and every other medical group involved with bariatric surgery does not recommend any special or more extreme criteria for the DS. We have, over the years, seen many "lightweight", meaning people with a bmi of 35 - 40 with a serious comorbidity, have the DS with great success and without excessive weight loss. Bottom line, it's your decision.

@Larra - totally agree.
I didn't know it, but I was a lightweight when I had my surgery in 1988. I just went and calculated it and I was 5'9" (still am) and 225 (so not - closest I got was on my third round of hCG, I hit the 230's and then was in the 250's about 2 weeks into maintenance. My body always ballooned in the phase 3/4 part of hCG), a BMI of 33.2. I am now dancing with the 300 mark. 302.8 this morning.

I told him I was prone to rapid weight gain (since hCG I have gained 60+lbs). And then he emailed back the new price. So he seems willing to do it...just voice his opinion.

I won't take his brevity to heart though as his English is way better than my Spanish; that's probably the reason for the short and to the point message. Not that it matters, really. I would love to have a surgeon with a great bedside manner. If it was a choice between an egoist who is excellent at his job and a nice guy who is in the middle of the pack, I would choose the former any day. I'm not dating the guy (or gal).

Hi Jill and welcome! I am a VBG to DS revision. I check this forum everyday and have been following this thread. I hesitate to reply only because I seem to say the wrong things. My VBG was done in 1999 with the marlex band. It was bad from the beginning and I spent years throwing up. I lost about 80 pounds and of course gained it all back plus more. In 2010 I knew I was in trouble and had to have something done. My marlex band was breaking down and ripping at the top. All of the people here (I have followed the vets where ever they go) tried to help and gave me all the information I needed. I could not afford Dr.Keshishian or Rabkin. I tried Dr Anthone who wouldn't do it. Dr Kemmeter wanted to do an ERNY. I was checking into Hasted but Thank god I listened and left that one alone. I ended up with Dr. Bernsten in Topeka Kansas. I did not heal right from that surgery (I won't blame her because it could have just been my body) I ended up with scar tissue that wrapped itself around my sleeve in the center and a kink or pinched off area in the intestines. In September 2013 I ended up with Dr. K doing the repairs needed. He is a wonderful doctor with the best bedside manor you could ever ask for. It has been a hard road for recovery but I am doing well now and bringing all my Vitamin levels and protein levels up. I few are still not quite in range but they are getting there. I forgot to mention that being older I believe it is harder to heal. By the way Dr. Bernsten did remove all the Marlex band but when Dr. K went in there some how he found what he thought was a piece of it attached to my liver which he was able to remove. I can say I only wish I could have found a way to go to Dr. K in the beginning. The only way it was possible last year is some money my husband inherited. It was just enough to do what needed to be done. I wish you all the the luck in the world for a healthy and happy outcome!

Hi @Barb1 , I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, it sounds awful. I'm hoping my band has stayed put. I still get obstructions, so I'm hoping that means it's still functioning and where it's supposed to be. It'll be interesting to get the endoscope and find out what my stomach looks like.

I find it amazing that I never wondered, that I just coped with the obstructions/vomiting as normal. Also, because I was ashamed that I had failed, I tried not to think about it.

My thought process was "Since this hadn't changed, why should I worry?" Which lacks forethought. Even if I wasn't pursuing revision surgery, me or my doctor should have wondered about this.

It's scary how much the mesh has traveled on you and a couple of other stories I've heard. I am so glad you're happy and getting healthy now. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back