Revising to DS (11/11/22)!

CJBlanton

Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a 40-year-old male. My highest weight that I know about was 554 lbs and my CW is 457 lb (BMI 63).

It was in July 2016 that started addressing my weight when I went to my best friend's 4th of July party and had to leave after 15 minutes because I couldn't handle the standing and the heat. I found Dr. Matthew Weiner's Pound of Cure, and I lost about 110 lbs leading up to my VSG and then went down to my lowest weight in years (364 lbs) over the first 6 months. I had thought even then that the DS was the better surgery for me, but my surgeon had concerns about the length of time under anesthesia (and I think the amount of weight I had already lost made it seem like I wouldn't need the malabsorption component). We had discussed the

Then success happened! I met and married my lovely wife and started living life (I had put off a lot because I did a Ph.D. in Chemistry that took me a while and I focused on that instead of living life). After that, changed jobs a couple of times (both much better jobs), Covid, and moved states a couple of times (PA -> GA -> NC).

Once I got to NC, I was able to start working on my head (found out that I have ADHD) and some of the other issues (I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, but I consider myself a problem drinker (although it seems like that due to the ADHD)) greatly improved. I started reaching out to the surgical weight loss centers in the area and got involved in Rex Bariatics (of Raleigh, NC). We got the revision to DS approved and on 11/11/22, my revision is scheduled!

I'm so pleased to join this community. I've been doing a lot of reading and finding a lot of good information here. I'll probably end up mainly lurking, but I wanted to say hello to everyone.

Last edited:
There was a time, don’t know if that’s still the case, where even the most experienced surgeons did the Gastric Sleeve part first on Super Obese folks. They knew it was good for SHORT TERM weight loss on the Super Obese…even if it might not be their best choice for long term…because it made the “lower half” surgery less time-consuming and risky.

Anyway, good luck and take it all slowly.

Things went well. They kept me in the hospital an extra day since I vomited a little blood right after I woke up. I had the same thing happen after my sleeve so it didn't surprise me, but I appreciate the concern they had.

I'm home now, and I seem to be great. This surgery has felt easier than my first sleeve even though the DS is definitely more invasive than a sleeve.

I'm glad you are home already - how's the fluid intake? that's what I ask everyone!

congratulations on being post-op!

Second post in this one tells you exactly how to get your fluids in:

Hi and welcome CJBlanton! Glad your procedure was successful and that you are home. Hydration is the key to recovery! :) What's your vitamin plan?

I'm following the Rex Bariatric plan, which is Celebrate ADEK 2x day, 4 500 mg Ca Citrate chews, and 60 mg iron daily.

I know there are probably some optimizations that could be made, but I want to soo some labs before I complicate things. :)

On the fluid front, I got 125 oz yesterday (96 water and 33 protein shakes). I never had any issues with fluids after my sleeve, and it looks to be holding for the DS.

I'm doing incredibly well, the only outstanding thing would be a BM. But I was already having a little trouble with those on liquids before surgery, but it'll come when it comes. I'm not in discomfort from that yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back