VBG to DS Revision ?'s (Surgeon Decisions)

I would call and make sure that his office staff understands that this is NOT a virgin DS but a revision. If that is his price for a revision, you are in tall cotton!

I would call and make sure that his office staff understands that this is NOT a virgin DS but a revision. If that is his price for a revision, you are in tall cotton!

Thanks @SHales Yep, it's for a revision. I titled the email VBG to DS revision and the initial reply was (these quotes are redacted as I don't feel comfortable including names and phone numbers without permission):
The cost for the revision is about $15000 if all goes well and you leave the hospital in 4 days as expected. There is additional charges if there are complications which require additional days in the hospital or if you require additional days in the hospital related to your recovery without complications. If you would like, you can set up an telephone consultation by calling XXX-XXX-XXXX and speaking to XXX.
And Dr. Greenbaum emailed me personally this am:
These charges are an estimate but pretty close to the cost as long as you do not need extra days in the hospital or develop complications which require extra days in the hospital. The surgery is open as XXX said and the usual hospital stay is Mon thru Friday. You should stay in the area for another week to make sure all is healing well before you go back to Canada.

Your first appointment can be over the phone and is no charge to discuss all of these concerns. Call XXX-XXX-XXXXt o set this up if you would like.

As much as I would like to go to Marchesini, I would like to have support with me. New Jersey my mother can do, I think. I'll set up phone appointments with both on my next days off as cell service out here is sketchy. I have a writing conference and dental appts on next days off, but I have one free day before that which would be ideal..

Also - Re: complications - I found a place that you can get medical tourism insurance and up to $50,000 paid for in complications and up to $100,000 for repatriation of yourself or in the worst case scenario, your remains.
http://www2.sevencorners.com/medical-tourism-insurance/

Thanks Sheanie.
Munchkin - I take it you were over there awhile ago, do you know if he's still working? Or how long he takes to reply to emails? Thanks for the recommendation.
Yes, he is still working. We chat on facebook every now and then. Dina McBride, also on FB can always reach him. I will tw Dina and see if I can get the current contact info.

Jill, I think the price quoted is for a revision because he says the surgery would be open, where for a virgin DS he would at least try laparoscopic. But of course you should clarify this when you have your phone consult with him, just in case. And if this is accurate, it's a fantastic deal and information that many other people can benefit from.

But does this mean our trip to Spain is off?? I'm not vacationing in NJ.

Thanks @SHales Yep, it's for a revision. I titled the email VBG to DS revision and the initial reply was (these quotes are redacted as I don't feel comfortable including names and phone numbers without permission):

And Dr. Greenbaum emailed me personally this am:

As much as I would like to go to Marchesini, I would like to have support with me. New Jersey my mother can do, I think. I'll set up phone appointments with both on my next days off as cell service out here is sketchy. I have a writing conference and dental appts on next days off, but I have one free day before that which would be ideal..

Also - Re: complications - I found a place that you can get medical tourism insurance and up to $50,000 paid for in complications and up to $100,000 for repatriation of yourself or in the worst case scenario, your remains.
http://www2.sevencorners.com/medical-tourism-insurance/
This is typical of Dr. G.'s communication. He is IMO extraordinarily accessible.

A couple years ago, he had a long distance revision patient who participated in our previous forum. She was in Big Trouble and was not thinking clearly because of it. I worked with her by phone, then called him and let him know about the problem. He got in touch immediately, she confirmed. She still didn't do what he told her to do (get to the ER RIGHT NOW), so I threatened to send the cops to her door for a wellness check. That got her in. He followed up again, too.

I like that man, even if his supplement advice sucks. I have a couple other stories to tell about how he advocates for his patients as well.

Jill, I think the price quoted is for a revision because he says the surgery would be open, where for a virgin DS he would at least try laparoscopic. But of course you should clarify this when you have your phone consult with him, just in case. And if this is accurate, it's a fantastic deal and information that many other people can benefit from.

But does this mean our trip to Spain is off?? I'm not vacationing in NJ.
I have never heard of him doing a DS lap. That would be a new development.

Yes, he is still working. We chat on facebook every now and then. Dina McBride, also on FB can always reach him. I will tw Dina and see if I can get the current contact info.
@Munchkin - I did email him at that address, thanks. Just no reply yet. I just have to understand that the world doesn't revolve around me nor my schedule (much to my disappointment)
@Larra no vacationing in Jersey? Awww, c'mon! Still deciding on the best way to go forward for me...I haven't ruled out Baltasar.

I am a Dr L patient going on 7 years. I was and am a text book success. OHIP paid for many of us. Dr L was one of the few DS surgeons who figured out the paperwork to get into the approved surgeon list and he did a lot of Ontario business. I heard thru the boards of a couple of people with problems requiring some lengthy hospitalization but I have no knowledge of the reasons or eventual outcomes. I couldn't say whether the rate and nature of complications were comparable to other surgeons These are questions to ask the surgeon himself

Dr Ls post op food recommendations are similar to almost all surgeons - completely inadequate. They focus on low fat and three meals per day. Like most, we all just ignore our surgeons' diet recommendations and we listen to those vets who went before. I eat high fat and graze all day and maintain my 200 pound loss

About five years back OHIP brought their bariatruc program back in province and cut off all out of country surgeries including Dr L. They effectively shut down the DS for Ontarians. Only a rare DS now by Dr Hong in Toronto.

I only heard of one revision done by Dr L. Revisions are complicated and the surgeons needs lots of experience.

Personally, if I needed a revision to DS, I would be looking hard at finding an experienced and highly recommended surgeon. Even if the cost was higher. And even if the travel was further. It is an investment in one 's life

Good luck in your decision

@Happy DSr - I agree. I am going for skilled surgeons. Marchesini, Greenbaum and Baltasar are all highly skilled. So far, it seems that Marchesini ($12-15,000) and Greenbaum ($15,000) are in my price range.
Skilled doctors like Keshishian ($29.5K including a 2 day stay in hospital, not 4 days like Drs M and G), Roslin ($35K), Rabkin ($30-40K), and Boyce ($25K for virgin DS, won't quote on the Revision without preop tests) aren't.

Thanks for giving me your personal experience, and I agree - life over price. But when you can get a skilled surgeon at a good price, that's the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Back