Traveling to Dr. Esquerra alone?

Oh, thank you tiny baby Jesus! I was going to post this same exact topic today after finding this active DS/Revision forum! Yay!

My hubby isn't supportive of my decision to have the sleeve to DS revision so I'm going it alone from Texas on May 25 (surgery date is May 26) to see Dr. Esquerra in MX. It's so good to hear how comfy y'all were doing this alone and makes me feel that much more confident that I can do this! I NEED TO DO THIS ALONE SINCE IT'S MYYY JOURNEY! :)

I won't hijack this post with my life story (ies) so if anyone else is traveling to MX at the end of May for a DS or revision to DS, PLEASE contact me if you wanna be buddies or just to chat! ♡ Thanks! ♡

Welcome @CarbJunkie73

I'm an Esquerra grad (virgin DS). You'll do great there on your own.
I'm also an Esquerra grad!! And also believe you'll do wonderfully!! They will take good care of you. My only complaint was I couldn't stream Netflix on my iPad and I'd lined a viewing list up prior to surgery.

Susan are you any closer to a decision on your trip to Esquerra?? I'm rooting for you!! But I know it's scary times. Sometimes we don't realize how very strong you are until challenged.
Yes, I am, Cara, thanks for asking about me. I figured everyone here would think I'm some sort of weirdo who hangs around with no serious intentions but that is NOT the case. It takes me a long time to research, consider, weigh all sides (I'm a Libra you know), and to figure out my self. I'm this way on everything, no matter how big or small the decision is, and I drive even myself crazy with it. I did pass a HUGE hurdle today. I have discussed my desire for the WLS with my husband a few times in the past and after his initial shock was ok with it. Then I began seriously considering the Mexico route and was hesitant to mention it. I totally underestimated him! I laid it all out to him, he asked me some very good questions, and then told me he would support me on it if it is what I decide I want to do. He also said he would gladly go with me but I told him if I can find someone else to go with me it might be better if he stays home and handles the four furkids. I'm brave but I think I do want a compadre. Finding someone might not be the easiest feat, between my friends work schedules and the fact that several might be aghast when I tell them, but I really don't know until I ask. I'll be having lots of questions for everyone, warning you now.

Glad you're going forward, Susan! You've done plenty of research so you;re well prepared. All will go well. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Yes, I am, Cara, thanks for asking about me. I figured everyone here would think I'm some sort of weirdo who hangs around with no serious intentions but that is NOT the case. It takes me a long time to research, consider, weigh all sides (I'm a Libra you know), and to figure out my self. I'm this way on everything, no matter how big or small the decision is, and I drive even myself crazy with it. I did pass a HUGE hurdle today. I have discussed my desire for the WLS with my husband a few times in the past and after his initial shock was ok with it. Then I began seriously considering the Mexico route and was hesitant to mention it. I totally underestimated him! I laid it all out to him, he asked me some very good questions, and then told me he would support me on it if it is what I decide I want to do. He also said he would gladly go with me but I told him if I can find someone else to go with me it might be better if he stays home and handles the four furkids. I'm brave but I think I do want a compadre. Finding someone might not be the easiest feat, between my friends work schedules and the fact that several might be aghast when I tell them, but I really don't know until I ask. I'll be having lots of questions for everyone, warning you now.
Asking questions is how we learn so ask away.

Last edited:

@Susan in Tennessee
I'm planning on traveling alone for my DS in Mexicali (my hubby isnt being supportive) Do you have a surgery date? I'm scheduled for 26 May and would gladly meet up with you if you're scheduled during that time frame!

No, Carbjunkie, I have no specific timeframe. Did you choose that date to fit work/school/vacation schedules? Thanks for the great offer, I will keep it in mind.

I am very excited for you Susan!! I kind of figured you out as a serious researcher from the beginning. Sometimes when you tell people they think they are the expert on surgery out of the country. They've heard nightmare stories and think we are seriously dumb enough to just wander over the border with a fist full of cash and look for the first bariatric surgical shingle hanging from a mud hut. I think we are smart cookies. We figure out how to have top notch surgery and NOT spend 40K doing so. I think you've decided you want this surgery and you want Esquerra to do it. Now you are figuring out the details. Big hurdle has been cleared really. When you know more I will give you my contact details. Although not in Mexico I'm closer than most. I'm less than an hour from San Diego. It might give you some comfort to know you have a friend closer.!!! Although you will have no issues, I can be there for you in an emergency!!!

Welcome @CarbJunkie73 :) I was one of the first on this forum to go to Dr Esquerra (10/3/2015)... and I couldn't be more pleased :) Good luck and if you have any questions or anything please let me know :)

And Susan, I'm excited for you! Good luck! They will treat you well there... I really look back fondly on my experience with MBC and one of these days I'm going to go back to say hello :)

I am very excited for you Susan!! I kind of figured you out as a serious researcher from the beginning. Sometimes when you tell people they think they are the expert on surgery out of the country. They've heard nightmare stories and think we are seriously dumb enough to just wander over the border with a fist full of cash and look for the first bariatric surgical shingle hanging from a mud hut. I think we are smart cookies. We figure out how to have top notch surgery and NOT spend 40K doing so. I think you've decided you want this surgery and you want Esquerra to do it. Now you are figuring out the details. Big hurdle has been cleared really. When you know more I will give you my contact details. Although not in Mexico I'm closer than most. I'm less than an hour from San Diego. It might give you some comfort to know you have a friend closer.!!! Although you will have no issues, I can be there for you in an emergency!!!
Thank you, Cara! What a truly thoughtful offer and it does make me feel good to know.

Hi so I am in the process trying to get WLS surgery. I went to the seminar last week but come to find out my insurance doesn't cover WLS. Its funny because I talked to 2different ladies one told me no your policy doesn't cover WLS and then the other lady told me yes your insurance does cover it if you pay a 2k deductible. They said they would pay 80% and I would have to pay 20%. Also the surgeon would have to request an authorization. Already I'm confused because two ladies gave me 2 different information. I called the advocate at the doctor office I chose and I gave her my insurance information and she called herself to see if my insurance covers WLS and the answer was NO my insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery.my insurance has an exclusion. That's all the insurance lady had to say to me, and I would've understood her. I hate dealing with insurance. Anyways yesterday was hard for me because I felt like that was the end because I can't fork over $25,000 like nothing. Unfortunately I'm going to have to do selfpay and I am looking into going to mexico to get the DS done. Any advice? Or anything?

Latest posts

Back