Traveling to Dr. Esquerra alone?

-Flo-

So all the glowing reviews of Dr. Esquerra is really making me considering going to Mexico for the surgery. Does any one have any experience having surgery with Dr. Esquerra alone? I am hoping once my family learns how serious I am about this, one of them comes with me. But there is a good possibility if I go to Dr. Esquerra it will be without any support.

I didn't go alone. I live in Southern California so I drove directly to the hospital and dragged a girlfriend of mine along. They do make it very easy for you to go alone though. If you fly into San Diego they meet you there and take you to the hospital and return you to the airport for your return flight home. I would suggest you check them out on YouTube because they have full videos showing other people's experiences. I wouldn't be afraid if going alone. They take good care of you.

My wife went with me but I was prepared to do it myself. They take good care of you and take care of all the travel to and from the hospital. I would not worry if you go alone. They will even call your family and let them know how surgery went. My wife was a trooper and stayed in the hospital with me the whole time but I know she had to be bored as hell.

OMG !! Check me out on YouTube!! My patient testimonial is there. I think I was quite high when they made this though. I had no idea it was there LOL! I look like a big old mess with my hair all pulled back and no make up so don't laugh at me. It's under Mexicalli Bariatric center patient testimonials. Jim did you do one?? Mine is called Patient Cara. I look 60 years old. I swear I'm not. If I knew how I'd post it here for y'all to have a giggle at me flying high on morphine.

As others have said it sounds as if going alone would be okay, that being said, flying back home by yourself and getting around by yourself in San Diego before flying out(unless they take you direct to your flight the day you depart) isn't something I would really want to do. I don't know your marital or family status but I would certainly hope somebody would come with you. My wife wouldn't dream of not being there for me for such a major surgery nor would I allow her to be by herself during a major surgery. Hopefully a family member of friend will come with you once you make your decision and let them know what is going on.

I didn't go alone. I live in Southern California so I drove directly to the hospital and dragged a girlfriend of mine along. They do make it very easy for you to go alone though. If you fly into San Diego they meet you there and take you to the hospital and return you to the airport for your return flight home. I would suggest you check them out on YouTube because they have full videos showing other people's experiences. I wouldn't be afraid if going alone. They take good care of you.
Cool stuff.

BTW, you don't look anywhere near 60.

So all the glowing reviews of Dr. Esquerra is really making me considering going to Mexico for the surgery. Does any one have any experience having surgery with Dr. Esquerra alone? I am hoping once my family learns how serious I am about this, one of them comes with me. But there is a good possibility if I go to Dr. Esquerra it will be without any support.

I went by myself since I knew I'd be in the hospital all but the first night of my stay. Two female sleeve patients were there by themselves too and one DS patient was there with her husband. The one with the husband there ended up sending him back to the hotel because he kept fussing over her when she was trying to sleep... there was literally nothing he could do for her. The nurses are right there when you need them and they take good care of you. The MBC driver is a hoot, too, so the trip to/from Mexicali is rather nice. It's totally doable by yourself.

As others have said it sounds as if going alone would be okay, that being said, flying back home by yourself and getting around by yourself in San Diego before flying out(unless they take you direct to your flight the day you depart) isn't something I would really want to do. I don't know your marital or family status but I would certainly hope somebody would come with you. My wife wouldn't dream of not being there for me for such a major surgery nor would I allow her to be by herself during a major surgery. Hopefully a family member of friend will come with you once you make your decision and let them know what is going on.

Scott, they drop you off at the departure area for whichever airline you're flying.
Flying back home was an absolute breeze, but I packed very light (just one underseat bag and a light messenger bag) and I checked the underseat bag for the flight home so I wouldn't have to lift it at security etc. I should have been a tad bit less enthusiastic about walking, however - I had a 2 hour wait and I think I walked 99% of that time... I did have to take a pain pill just before boarding the flight but I'm convinced that was because I was too active. I slept on the flight and for most of the 90 minute shuttle ride that took me back home so it went quickly... and relatively painlessly as well :)

OMG !! Check me out on YouTube!! My patient testimonial is there. I think I was quite high when they made this though. I had no idea it was there LOL! I look like a big old mess with my hair all pulled back and no make up so don't laugh at me. It's under Mexicalli Bariatric center patient testimonials. Jim did you do one?? Mine is called Patient Cara. I look 60 years old. I swear I'm not. If I knew how I'd post it here for y'all to have a giggle at me flying high on morphine.
I did not do one. They asked but I am not good at that stuff!

LOL Well I didn't get my vid on youtube but I seem to be one of Nina's favorites when it comes to emailing with prospective patients... I enjoy it though :)

I went by myself since I knew I'd be in the hospital all but the first night of my stay. Two female sleeve patients were there by themselves too and one DS patient was there with her husband. The one with the husband there ended up sending him back to the hotel because he kept fussing over her when she was trying to sleep... there was literally nothing he could do for her. The nurses are right there when you need them and they take good care of you. The MBC driver is a hoot, too, so the trip to/from Mexicali is rather nice. It's totally doable by yourself.
I get very bored and lonely in the hospital by myself so personally I like for somebody to be there for company. Certainly not 24/7 but during the day for a while, and obviously they need some time for themselves too....but I can't stand not being there if one of my boys or wife are having a major procedure or hospital stay. It is too stressful on me not to know first hand what is going.

That being said, we all have our preferences and it is good that the Mexicali center does a good job taking care of the patient from beginning to end.

They should have ambushed you while high on morphine like they did me!!
I was only on Morphine for one day. I really had no pain and if I wouldn't have had the hiccups for over an hour I probably wouldn't have needed the morphine that long.

Latest posts

Back