Traveling to Dr. Esquerra alone?

I get very bored and lonely in the hospital by myself so personally I like for somebody to be there for company. Certainly not 24/7 but during the day for a while, and obviously they need some time for themselves too....but I can't stand not being there if one of my boys or wife are having a major procedure or hospital stay. It is too stressful on me not to know first hand what is going.

That being said, we all have our preferences and it is good that the Mexicali center does a good job taking care of the patient from beginning to end.

LOL well.. my family tends to get bored and when they get bored, they get annoying. REALLY annoying. I just couldn't see being in the hospital and having to worry about THEIR needs as well as mine.

I can understand liking someone to be there. For me, this was a vacation though - in fact I took vacation time to do this - and I tend to go by myself since I have no significant (or insignificant!) other... If I'd had someone maybe I would have wanted them to come, or maybe not if I had to worry about them... LOL

@CaraOC You look great in the video. I'm a nurse too, so i appreciate your take on it.

I'm glad to hear that going at it alone, is not so uncommon. I'm looking forward to talking to Nina tomorrow to hear when he is booking.

I said I absolutely would NEVER go to Mexico... and then I did. I said I absolutely would NEVER travel to Mexico for surgery alone... and then I did. Hahaha

I traveled from the east by myself -- had to take a 5:30a flight in order to get to San Diego by 11 am. As Bebezed has said, you are picked up at the airport and everything is taken care of for you -- they get you to hospital for pre-tests, hotel the first night, back to hospital -- no "thinking" involved. I mostly slept the first two days with morphine. (I was given morphine the day of surgery and the next.) The last two days I was OK but was not feeling particularly conversational so glad I didn't have my husband with me. The whole stay was rather peaceful. However, after the surgery and the 4 nights at MBC, I had my husband fly out and meet me in San Diego for 2 days before we flew back. (Ernesto dropped me off at my San Diego hotel.) I added the 2 day San Diego stay in case I had some sort of complication and had to spend an extra day in the hospital -- didn't want to have to scramble to rearrange flights. My husband drove me crazy those 2 days and I am SO glad he didn't come to MX with me. The only time he came in handy was when our plane was delayed in ORD for 6 hours and he was able to wrangle the United Club -- I was so exhausted by then I was brain dead.

Oh, I sprung for the gallbladder. Extra $2k. If my GB went "bad" later on, insurance would have covered it but I didn't want to have another surgery.

I didn't go to Mexico, but I did travel to Montreal solo from Singapore (about 24 hours of travelling each way). You will be well looked after while you're there, I have no doubt!

Dr Gagner insisted I fly business class given how long the flight was and the risk of blood clots (as well as take Lovenox beyond the first few days). If that's in your budget, I would highly recommend you consider it. It was nice to have plenty of room and be relatively comfortable while flying. I flew back 10 days post-op solo.

I flew first class. Going out I was concerned I wouldn't fit in an economy seat and returning I also didn't want to be jostled. And only take a carry-on sized bag of about 15# max... but then check it anyway as you won't be able to lift it on security belt and certainly not up to overhead bin on plane. (Domestic business class is usually just a regular seat where they don't book anyone in the middle seat. Not worth it.)

I knew I wouldn't fit an economy seat so I flew first class. Even if I could have fit, I still would have flown first class simply because there's way more room and it's more comfortable. It was kind of sad that I couldn't eat the meal, however - it looked and smelled really good LOL

I knew I wouldn't fit an economy seat so I flew first class. Even if I could have fit, I still would have flown first class simply because there's way more room and it's more comfortable. It was kind of sad that I couldn't eat the meal, however - it looked and smelled really good LOL

I flew with Qatar...very fancy lounge in Doha, amazing in-flight meals...I had a little bit of soup. Definitely looked good from what everyone else was having! For me, was more important to get the lie-flat bed so I could sleep allll the way home.

So all the glowing reviews of Dr. Esquerra is really making me considering going to Mexico for the surgery. Does any one have any experience having surgery with Dr. Esquerra alone? I am hoping once my family learns how serious I am about this, one of them comes with me. But there is a good possibility if I go to Dr. Esquerra it will be without any support.
I'm seriously thinking of going to Dr. Esquerra myself. I have been emailing with Nina and Karla in his office, asking questions. The price they quoted me, the "special" price they said :) is currently $11,000 for the DS. I think my husband would go although it would be easier to have him home with the four fur-kids, one of which is on anti-seizure meds twice a day. My sister lives in San Francisco area so she might be willing to meet me in San Diego and accompany me, but you never know about her. She is heavy into tennis and plays on a few teams and is captain, etc. and she might not be able to miss. I don't think any of my girlfriends would be able to do it but I don't know until I ask. Not exactly the type of Mexico vacation most people visualize!

Honestly, I'd echo those who said sometimes it can be good not to have people around. I was feeling like shit for most of those 10 days. A girlfriend flew in to visit me for the weekend in Montreal, but we just watched HGTV on the sofa and made fun of the terrible people on the shows. When I tried to 'do things' with people, I ended up tired and cranky very fast, and feeling like I was being a terrible friend. Remember, it's all about you - so don't make any promises beyond 'lying in a bed all day trying to get your liquids in' for entertainment.

I'm seriously thinking of going to Dr. Esquerra myself. I have been emailing with Nina and Karla in his office, asking questions. The price they quoted me, the "special" price they said :) is currently $11,000 for the DS. I think my husband would go although it would be easier to have him home with the four fur-kids, one of which is on anti-seizure meds twice a day. My sister lives in San Francisco area so she might be willing to meet me in San Diego and accompany me, but you never know about her. She is heavy into tennis and plays on a few teams and is captain, etc. and she might not be able to miss. I don't think any of my girlfriends would be able to do it but I don't know until I ask. Not exactly the type of Mexico vacation most people visualize!
Yeah!!! I really hope you do it Susan. I know you won't be disappointed.

I'm in Tennessee, Knoxville to be exact and I'll probably be going alone. My mom would go with me but she just doesn't uderstand how I struggle with my weight and how unhappy I am about my weight. When I got my Lapband she was a nervous wreck and I worried about her worrying about me. I'm all she has so I completely understand but it's just hard...

Susan are you any closer to a decision on your trip to Esquerra?? I'm rooting for you!! But I know it's scary times. Sometimes we don't realize how very strong you are until challenged.

Latest posts

Back