Surgery Tomorrow

I am not sure if I even had one. They probably did wile in OR but I don't recall it in the surgical report.

Glad you are doing well Jim

Well I had my Barium swallow test today and everything looks great. I feel even better today and getting my fluids in pretty easily. I even had some chicken broth and it was delicious. I am awaiting to have my drain taken out, another step closer to going home.

What drain do you have? Was it an open or lap procedure?

And awesome on feeling better and able to drink. That was the hardest for me, well eafing was rough too. Okay it all sucked. :p

Off my IV today, sipping,walking, and resting. I'm a little sore but nothing I need meds for. 2 more days until I go home!✈️
I will tell you this, I had to drink a full bottle of blue dye straight up last night. Nothing used to cut the terrible flavor. by far the worst thing I ever drank. I don't wish that on anyone!

I never had to do a leak test. Good thing I wasn't leaky! Anyway, glad to hear things are progressing well for you. I hope it continues and that your trip home is uneventful.

I never had to do a leak test. Good thing I wasn't leaky! Anyway, glad to hear things are progressing well for you. I hope it continues and that your trip home is uneventful.
I didn't do one either (TO my knowledge) so I asked my surgeon. He said he did them in the OR which is why I don't remember. Maybe your surgeon did the same?

Jim, I'm really late to the party here but I am SO glad that everything is going so well! I smiled at your comment about the chicken soup - it was like manna from the gods to me even though I thought it tasted kinda funky. LOL You're doing great with the liquids - it took me about a week or so to be able to do sufficient liquids even though I kept sipping.

Hope you have a pleasant trip home and further recovery is uneventful. All the best - we're all thinking about you!

Wow, I had so many issues with food aversion and fluid intake. You are absolutely rocking this. Keep up the good work!

I had it lap. No problem with liquids, I am up to 92 ounces for the day so far.
Sheesh on fluids. I couldn't get half of that after surgery. Great.

What was the drain they had to remove? My procedure was robotic lap and I had no drains other than a catheter I am sure in surgery but I believe it was taken out before I woke up.

Sheesh on fluids. I couldn't get half of that after surgery. Great.

What was the drain they had to remove? My procedure was robotic lap and I had no drains other than a catheter I am sure in surgery but I believe it was taken out before I woke up.
Really not sure what the medical term for it is but it was a flat latex tube that branched out to the stomach and intestines. It removed any blood from the surgery. It also was used for the dye test, if the blue dye showed up in the collection bag they new you had a leak.

Really not sure what the medical term for it is but it was a flat latex tube that branched out to the stomach and intestines. It removed any blood from the surgery. It also was used for the dye test, if the blue dye showed up in the collection bag they new you had a leak.
Okay thanks. That is interesting. Sounds like it was for fear of a leak more than anything.

It's called a Penrose drain. A length of soft flat tubular material. Inserted into the areas of reanastamosis internally and the ends brought through to the outside via a drain incision. This permits any and all fluids accumulating internally to drain outside of the body. Type a d quantity of drainage tell the surgeon pretty much what is going on in there. It's allowed to heal from the inside out when drains awe removed so the big hole incision can be quite ugly at first. Keep it meticulously clean. It does heal quickly. Usually when they insert the Penrose tubing the tad an ostomy appliance to keep the drainage collected and to keep the tubes cleaner preventing other nasty little germs and bugs from entering the surgical site by way of a hike up into the drain.

Hi there I am late to the party as well but I am so glad everything went so well!!
And congrats on the liquid intake I am still not able to get that much liquid in and I am almost 3 months out lol

I too had a drain and a little pouch with thick red liquid not really blood that was emptied a few times a day and then about 4th day they took it out....boy that was UNCOMFORTABLE feeling.. worse then the catheter.
Also the day after surgery they took me into the xray room and made me drink this horrible white chalk drink and then stand up against a leaning platform and did a bunch of xrays with me all contorted in different positions. That whole situation made me very light headed and I almost vomited, I mean it was the day after surgery. Not sure but I am guessing that was to see if there were any leaks.

So glad you are doing so well!!

Latest posts

Back