Which surgery to get

The enzyme taken to help people gain weight is one that helps with protein absorption. It is a pancreatic enzyme I believe, not a digestive enzyme, but I could be wrong...

I took digestive enzymes while on the FODMAP diet eons ago and they didn't impact my weight any. I think they were called Digest Gold?

OP, I'm 7 weeks post op from a DS surgery. My common channel is a bit longer than some others (175cm) but it is still a traditional DS. I've had some diarrhea while I was on the liquid diet, but it didn't "peel the paint from the walls" as some people like to say. It was just typical diarrhea. I had MUCH worse when I had H Pylori (well before the surgery, not DS related). I had a bad bout of gas once, when I first tried hamburger. I waited two more weeks and it is fine now, no gas. I had a rather bad time with something that had erythritol in it, but that was my fault for not reading the label. I am (fortunately) not lactose intolerant now, which is weird because I was before the surgery...

Basically the only weird thing my bowels are doing now is they wake me up waaaay early in the morning to empty them. I don't know why they can't observe my alarm clock time, but that's just the way it is... I do believe in the whole "never trust a fart" thing, but that's just common sense IMO. Not surgery related for me. I keep my carbs low and my protein high and everything is normal most days, no tragic smells that would knock out small children... I was super paranoid about it pre-surgery because of all the horror stories I'd read. But they never came to fruition. And FYI anything you read about regarding a DS and bathroom issues can apply to an RNY as well, since the bathroom issues are caused by re-routing the small intestines, which both surgeries do to some degree.

I picked the DS because I figured if I was going to have someone cut into my small intestines I might as well go with the gold standard. I wanted remission of my diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and at least a chance of getting rid of my C-Pap machine. As of right now I've been taken off of my diabetes meds and my fasting sugars are in the 80s!! I'm off my blood pressure medication and my BP is normal!! We check my labs next month but I'm sure my cholesterol has gone down too. I also wanted the surgery with the best weight loss and lowest rate of regain. And I wanted to keep my pylorus valve...

The enzyme taken to help people gain weight is one that helps with protein absorption. It is a pancreatic enzyme I believe, not a digestive enzyme, but I could be wrong...

I took digestive enzymes while on the FODMAP diet eons ago and they didn't impact my weight any. I think they were called Digest Gold?

OP, I'm 7 weeks post op from a DS surgery. My common channel is a bit longer than some others (175cm) but it is still a traditional DS. I've had some diarrhea while I was on the liquid diet, but it didn't "peel the paint from the walls" as some people like to say. It was just typical diarrhea. I had MUCH worse when I had H Pylori (well before the surgery, not DS related). I had a bad bout of gas once, when I first tried hamburger. I waited two more weeks and it is fine now, no gas. I had a rather bad time with something that had erythritol in it, but that was my fault for not reading the label. I am (fortunately) not lactose intolerant now, which is weird because I was before the surgery...

Basically the only weird thing my bowels are doing now is they wake me up waaaay early in the morning to empty them. I don't know why they can't observe my alarm clock time, but that's just the way it is... I do believe in the whole "never trust a fart" thing, but that's just common sense IMO. Not surgery related for me. I keep my carbs low and my protein high and everything is normal most days, no tragic smells that would knock out small children... I was super paranoid about it pre-surgery because of all the horror stories I'd read. But they never came to fruition. And FYI anything you read about regarding a DS and bathroom issues can apply to an RNY as well, since the bathroom issues are caused by re-routing the small intestines, which both surgeries do to some degree.

I picked the DS because I figured if I was going to have someone cut into my small intestines I might as well go with the gold standard. I wanted remission of my diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and at least a chance of getting rid of my C-Pap machine. As of right now I've been taken off of my diabetes meds and my fasting sugars are in the 80s!! I'm off my blood pressure medication and my BP is normal!! We check my labs next month but I'm sure my cholesterol has gone down too. I also wanted the surgery with the best weight loss and lowest rate of regain. And I wanted to keep my pylorus valve...
Sounds like you are doing fantastic.

I'm one of the ones who had “paint peeling gas post op” because it was so far worse than preop. Once my system settled down, I was fine. But good God almighty, the first three months I thought something had died in there.

Good going on all your comorbids. Now, remember always get an A1C yearly. While resolution from diabetes is the best with the DS, it isn’t 100%. There is a 2-5% rate of it reappearing. I’m in the 2-5%. But I did have a 6 year vacation and I am still free of the insulin pump. I was on a statin preop, but wanted to see how well the DS helped so when my medication came up for refill that fall, I just didn’t bother. When they pulled my preop labs I got a good picture of why I was on statins. When they pulled my 3 month labs, my lipid panel was perfect (on the high side but still well within normal). My husband is one who, unfortunately, didn’t ditch the cpap. Apparently for him, weight wasn’t the problem.

Yup. And they will try to convince us that “erythritol is different.” It is not.

Re erythritol

"Higher blood levels of the artificial sweetener erythritol were associated with increased risk of heart attack and stroke."

Yup. And they will try to convince us that “erythritol is different.” It is not.
OMG erythritol kills me every time. It is in those Protein2O waters everyone raves about post surgery and the center advised we have some on hand. My gods, no. Not only do they taste awful IMO but I had diarrhea for two days after drinking one! I react that way consistently to erythritol, especially if it is over a few grams. shudders

I'm a little late to the game and I tend to be a silent lurker, but I saw this post and wanted to add my input, as I actually have had both the RNY and DS. In 2013, I wrongly believed I had done my due diligence with selecting a bariatric physician. The DS was not even an option I was informed about and my surgeon directed me towards the RNY, explaining that it is the gold standard, best there is, and I would easily be able to reach goal if I did the program. That is not how it worked out.

From the very beginning, I had issues. I realize that my story is not typical and some people do great with RNY, but I was not one of them and I feel like the RNY is touted as this miracle surgery, when in fact, it is pretty so-so. For me, I was left with constant horrible abdominal pain, became lactose intolerant, excessive bowel issues, constant vomiting and food intolerance, and the real kicker is that I never even lost enough weight to get out of the morbidly obese category and then the weight loss period just ended. I went to medications, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Noom, you name it, I did it. I was desperate because I was failing with something that I was told was infallible. According to my surgeon’s office, I failed his surgery and there was nothing they could do for me.

I lived in misery for 8 years before I happened to find this group and started reading posts, before becoming a member, so I could learn that there were options. That is how I found the vetted surgeon’s list and my new journey began. My doctor reversed my RNY, noted that it was not done to “standard”, whatever that means, and told me that given what my starting weight was and how I have always struggled with my weight, the RNY was never going to work. I needed the DS from the start.

It has been just over two years for me and honestly, I cannot believe how my life has changed. I can eat cheese and drink milk again, eating a cucumber does not send me doubling over in pain, I rarely throw up, no more random stomach pains, my bowel issues have actually improved and are manageable, AND I have lost 272 lbs. and am considered a “normal” BMI.

It is not all sunshine and rainbows, but I have no regrets. I am struggling with Vitamin A, E & K, but I am working on adding in additional supplements and getting those numbers up. The gas can be horrendous, usually if I eat a trigger food (pasta, artificial sweeteners), but that is on me. I feel like all I do is eat now, which is kind of ironic since I spent most of my life being told to stop eating.

Ultimately, what you choose, should be the best route for you, but be informed and understand what you are getting into. The DS offers better long-term outcomes for weight loss and resolving comorbidities, it is easier to lose regain because the malabsorption is permanent. No one bothered to tell me, and I never even thought to ask, that the RNY malabsorption is temporary. After that, you basically have a sleeve, which is just a restrictive diet. Do what is going to give you the best outcome and chance for keeping the weight off for good, with the mindset of only having surgery once, because revision surgery was hard, not only to find an actual goos surgeon who could do it, but also the physical process and recovery.

Good Luck!

StormyWeather I think you hit the nail on the head by describing gastric bypass as "so-so". Yes, it has helped some people, but for many, the weight loss is not what they hoped for (or were promised, though some surgeons are honest about realistic expectations), and after the initial honeymoon period, maintaining that weight loss becomes a daily struggle. DS is not perfect, no surgery is, but it has far better results overall. I'm glad you are doing so much better, and so much happier, with your revision, just wish you hadn't had to go that route. And I'm glad you have put your story out there to help educate others.

My doctor reversed my RNY, noted that it was not done to “standard”, whatever that means, and told me that given what my starting weight was and how I have always struggled with my weight, the RNY was never going to work. I needed the DS from the start.
I'm glad you got a competent doctor the second time!

OMG erythritol kills me every time. It is in those Protein2O waters everyone raves about post surgery and the center advised we have some on hand. My gods, no. Not only do they taste awful IMO but I had diarrhea for two days after drinking one! I react that way consistently to erythritol, especially if it is over a few grams. shudders
It’s not in all of them. I’m careful which ones I use because of that.

Thank you for being so honest, this is the only thing that worries me. I don’t wanna take a chance on something like any of that to happen. We also travel a lot so the carts may be an issue as well lol. Those factors may be the reason I don’t get this type, thank you so much.
I agree with what everyone has already said so won't repeat things, but do want to elaborate on the fart stuff. We also like to travel, and sometimes share bathrooms with friends/family at an Airbnb or something. Also, gas bubbles can be torture on an airplane that has pressure fluctuations. I am a huge proponent of probiotics, and take several different types, because not all strains are the same or help with the same things. I have usually zero gas through the entire day. When I do have some, it's in the morning before I poop, and once I do that's it. Although I do usually have to poop a second time about a half hour or so after the first, which isn't always convenient if you don't have a lot of time to get ready and leave in the morning. I try not to poop often in public bathrooms, because while the probiotics make the smell much less than before I took them, it's still smellier than a normies bm. The probiotics are non-negotiable for me, and although it doesn't seem like a big deal to add a few more pills when you are already taking a bunch, it does add up. Good ones aren't super cheap so if budget is an issue the price of mandatory ongoing supplements is something to consider.

It’s not in all of them. I’m careful which ones I use because of that.
Oh, I had no idea some of them don't have it! Interesting... Makes sense how some are drinking them after surgery then. It doesn't really matter to me, I like Seeq and the Syntrax Nectars waaaay better. But the pre-made form factor of Protein2O is pretty handy for travel!

Well it sounds like the issues I have now honestly lol ever since I had my gall bladder out I constantly have to go the bathroom and it’s always loose. I’m sure I can’t drink milk now but I do and instantly regret it lol. Well still doesn’t sound to serious then as that can be prevented it sounds. I just wanna do what’s right the first time around lol thanks again
I'm a little late to the party, and not sure if you've decided yet or not. I had the VSG in 2012. I lost some weight from 273 surgery day down to 188 in 2015. In 2016, I had to quit my job, move back in with my mom and find a new job that was less physically demanding. From there to present I've steadily put on weight until 2023. I got up to my highest weight of 293 lbs. I began cutting out junk foods, fast food, and drastically reduced soda consumption. I got down to 283...and I've been hovering there since. In September, our office relocated to a new building and I attended a blood drive at our new office building. While doing the screening, I discussed with one of the donation workers the thought of revisional weight loss surgery. I sat on it for awhile, and revisited the topic again at the next on site blood drive in November. It was around this time that I seriously decided to start the process of getting a revisional weight loss surgery. So, I did some research for a few days on what surgeries were out there and available and at the same time started searching surgeons in my area; then began researching which surgeons were available that did revisions and which surgeries they performed. Since I had already had the VSG, the decision of which surgery to revise to was pretty straightforward and simple....the best option would be for me to revise to DS, since I essentially already had the first half done.

I began reading and watching everything I could relating to DS. I was brought here by shrinkingmytiara from another forum, and continued reading posts here on the DS, etc. I soon found that there is the traditional DS and the SADI, so I also learned what I could about the differences between these two; and ultimately decided on the traditional DS. I think for me, DS is definitely the best way to go, and I decided on the traditional DS over the SADI because I wanted the best percentage of excess weight loss and long term maintenance. I'll be honest, at first, I figured I could possibly do the SADI, and if that failed to work well enough, I could revise from there to the traditional DS....only to get to my consultation and find out that my insurance would only cover 1 weight loss surgery per lifetime. So, this finalized my decision to go with the traditional DS over the SADI. I am in the pre-op process still at this time, and have a tentative surgery date set for March 26th, 2024.

I look forward to this choice being the best choice I've made. Back when I had my VSG, I didn't know about the DS....I only knew about the Lap band, RNY, or VSG.

I'm a little late to the party, and not sure if you've decided yet or not. I had the VSG in 2012. I lost some weight from 273 surgery day down to 188 in 2015. In 2016, I had to quit my job, move back in with my mom and find a new job that was less physically demanding. From there to present I've steadily put on weight until 2023. I got up to my highest weight of 293 lbs. I began cutting out junk foods, fast food, and drastically reduced soda consumption. I got down to 283...and I've been hovering there since. In September, our office relocated to a new building and I attended a blood drive at our new office building. While doing the screening, I discussed with one of the donation workers the thought of revisional weight loss surgery. I sat on it for awhile, and revisited the topic again at the next on site blood drive in November. It was around this time that I seriously decided to start the process of getting a revisional weight loss surgery. So, I did some research for a few days on what surgeries were out there and available and at the same time started searching surgeons in my area; then began researching which surgeons were available that did revisions and which surgeries they performed. Since I had already had the VSG, the decision of which surgery to revise to was pretty straightforward and simple....the best option would be for me to revise to DS, since I essentially already had the first half done.

I began reading and watching everything I could relating to DS. I was brought here by shrinkingmytiara from another forum, and continued reading posts here on the DS, etc. I soon found that there is the traditional DS and the SADI, so I also learned what I could about the differences between these two; and ultimately decided on the traditional DS. I think for me, DS is definitely the best way to go, and I decided on the traditional DS over the SADI because I wanted the best percentage of excess weight loss and long term maintenance. I'll be honest, at first, I figured I could possibly do the SADI, and if that failed to work well enough, I could revise from there to the traditional DS....only to get to my consultation and find out that my insurance would only cover 1 weight loss surgery per lifetime. So, this finalized my decision to go with the traditional DS over the SADI. I am in the pre-op process still at this time, and have a tentative surgery date set for March 26th, 2024.

I look forward to this choice being the best choice I've made. Back when I had my VSG, I didn't know about the DS....I only knew about the Lap band, RNY, or VSG.
Thank you for your reply, sorry just got back on the forum. I had my first nutrition meeting today and man oh man it’s so overwhelming but ik will be so worth it. I think I’m still sticking to the DS cause of so many success stories. I want something that will be a lasting process. Good luck on your journey

Latest posts

Back