Which surgery to get

Firewife204

Hello all, I had my first appointment today and was introduced to all the surgeries and will have to decide on which to get. I am currently at 270 lbs at 5’3, which is my heaviest weight I am leaning towards the bypass or the switch, pros and cons and any advice is appreciated, thanks all.

Also, there are not many surgeons who do the ACTUAL DS. The place you went does both bypass and DS?

If you are on FB, there is a revision group just for RNYers wanting a DS ( or a Distal if the DS isn’t possible).
Back when I had my surgery almost 13 years ago, we were told, choose your surgery, then your surgeon. Don’t let your surgeon chose for you as they don’t have to live the rest of your life with their choice.

choose your surgery, then your surgeon. Don’t let your surgeon chose for you as they don’t have to live the rest of your life with their choice.

so good it's worth quoting!

I chose the VSG and since my metabolism works fine (or it did and I hope it still does) it's been enough.

If you are on FB, there is a revision group just for RNYers wanting a DS ( or a Distal if the DS isn’t possible).
Back when I had my surgery almost 13 years ago, we were told, choose your surgery, then your surgeon. Don’t let your surgeon chose for you as they don’t have to live the rest of your life with their choice.
That’s why my surgeon has told me to pick, he hasn’t said I think you should get this one. He wants me to pick and even told me to check around places and see what’s best for me.

I'm very impressed with your surgeon for not trying to pick for you or to direct you to what is easiest or most lucrative for him. We don't always see that.
I chose the DS because it has the best results for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (a major problem with other surgeries) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. I have never regretted my choice. I hope you will learn everything you can about all your options and the post-op diet and lifestyle you will need to live with and make a well informed choice that is best for you.

I'm very impressed with your surgeon for not trying to pick for you or to direct you to what is easiest or most lucrative for him. We don't always see that.
I chose the DS because it has the best results for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (a major problem with other surgeries) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. I have never regretted my choice. I hope you will learn everything you can about all your options and the post-op diet and lifestyle you will need to live with and make a well informed choice that is best for you.
I have seen so many good responses on this type of surgery. So far this is the way I’m leaning towards.

DS.... a wonderful surgery.. resolved my T2 diabetes after more than a decade of T2, and the weight just fell off, and stayed off for the most part.

I would never choose anything else

On the down. side are matters of the downside.... poop in all its forms The farts are un believably noxious. Some suffer explosive diarrhea, and are chained to to the nearest toilet. This problem may die done after a few years, it did for me, but what uncomfortable years

Before you decide..search this forum for farts. I remember one post from a woman of dating age who despaired of ever going out again

What lasts forever are the nutritional deficiencies. I thought no problem, i had been taking a handful of pills for obesity comorbidities for a decade. Well, it's not that simple. The mix of vitamins that works one year has to be readjusted for deficiencies that pop up later. One woman forgot to closely monitor vitamin A and was well on her way to night blindness, fortunately reversible she caught it early

Search on PTH (parathyroid) blood test.. the way we monitor the hormone that leaches calcium from bones

A,E,D,K and Calcium and iron are the big problem

Iron is a big problem, for some pills no longer work and infusions are necessary.

Doesn't seem to happen often, but one guy was so worried about calcium deficiency and bone loss, he considered, or maybe had, a reversal of the common channel length. His DEXA scans showed his bones heading to critcal frailty. Some older women here suffer osteoporosis. It's a risk in that age group and gender, but is made worse by the loss of calcium absorption that comes with DS. The meds that help osteoporosis are not fun. One, Fosamax ( * ), can rot your jaw bone

Other surgeries have their own problems, be informed

DS. I would not choose anything else.. but there are downsides

*"osteonecrosis of the jaw, a condition in which bone tissue in the jaw dies, causing pain and the possible collapse of the jaw bone. This is why elective dental work is not recommended while on Fosamax."

Last edited:
I'm 5'3 and stated at 264. I've been below 150 pounds for 7 years with the DS. I'm now happy and stable at 125. Look at the PDF I just posted.

By-pass does not work well long term. In fact it's pretty bad

Attachments

• comparing-options-for-WLS - comparing-options-for-WLS.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 9
DS.... a wonderful surgery.. resolved my T2 diabetes after more than a decade of T2, and the weight just fell off, and stayed off for the most part.

I would never choose anything else

On the down. side are matters of the downside.... poop in all its forms The farts are un believably noxious. Some suffer explosive diarrhea, and are chained to to the nearest toilet. This problem may die done after a few years, it did for me, but what uncomfortable years

Before you decide..search this forum for farts. I remember one post from a woman of dating age who despaired of ever going out again

What lasts forever are the nutritional deficiencies. I thought no problem, i had been taking a handful of pills for obesity comorbidities for a decade. Well, it's not that simple. The mix of vitamins that works one year has to be readjusted for deficiencies that pop up later. One woman forgot to closely monitor vitamin A and was well on her way to night blindness, fortunately reversible she caught it early

Search on PTH (parathyroid) blood test.. the way we monitor the hormone that leaches calcium from bones

A,E,D,K and Calcium and iron are the big problem

Iron is a big problem, for some pills no longer work and infusions are necessary.

Doesn't seem to happen often, but one guy was so worried about calcium deficiency and bone loss, he considered, or maybe had, a reversal of the common channel length. His DEXA scans showed his bones heading to critcal frailty. Some older women here suffer osteoporosis. It's a risk in that age group and gender, but is made worse by the loss of calcium absorption that comes with DS. The meds that help osteoporosis are not fun. One, Fosamax ( * ), can rot your jaw bone

Other surgeries have their own problems, be informed

DS. I would not choose anything else.. but there are downsides

*"osteonecrosis of the jaw, a condition in which bone tissue in the jaw dies, causing pain and the possible collapse of the jaw bone. This is why elective dental work is not recommended while on Fosamax."
Thank you for being so honest, this is the only thing that worries me. I don’t wanna take a chance on something like any of that to happen. We also travel a lot so the carts may be an issue as well lol. Those factors may be the reason I don’t get this type, thank you so much.

Thank you for being so honest, this is the only thing that worries me. I don’t wanna take a chance on something like any of that to happen. We also travel a lot so the carts may be an issue as well lol. Those factors may be the reason I don’t get this type, thank you so much.
I lived in an RV on the road for over five years post DS. Most of my gas and fart issue after the first year are completely controlled by what goes in my mouth. Carbs are not your friend, actually for me, neither are artificial sweeteners of ANY KIND. I have to use real sugar so I use very little.

Back when I had mine almost 13 years ago, I only had three options based on having Medicare insurance. Lap bad, oh hell no, I didn’t want a belt around my esophagus. The RNY, I would have stayed fat first. And the DS. Unlike private insurance companies, Medicare didn’t yet cover the VSG. That didn’t happen until July 2012. And the variants hadn’t made an appearance yet when I had mine. The farts and BM stories weren’t as bad as we were told. Actually a poll on FaceBook of over several thousand DSers show constipation is far more common. Yes, we get farts that can peel paint in the early years but honestly, shit stinks. Invest in a really good fan for your bathrooms. And avoid carbs. My husband’s were horrid preop and they aren’t any better post op.

Diarreah is very common in the first couple of weeks so be aware of that. You will wonder what you have done to yourself. Lactose intolerance is extremely common post op. I was drinking whole milk before my DS. The first protein shake I made post op was with whole milk. OMG, I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE. And the stink was horrendous. Even Lactaid pills didn’t help that early out. But I survived. I used water to make my protein shakes after that. Even now, I still can’t handle milk or ice cream but I can handle yogurt, cheese, etc.

I lived in an RV on the road for over five years post DS. Most of my gas and fart issue after the first year are completely controlled by what goes in my mouth. Carbs are not your friend, actually for me, neither are artificial sweeteners of ANY KIND. I have to use real sugar so I use very little.

Back when I had mine almost 13 years ago, I only had three options based on having Medicare insurance. Lap bad, oh hell no, I didn’t want a belt around my esophagus. The RNY, I would have stayed fat first. And the DS. Unlike private insurance companies, Medicare didn’t yet cover the VSG. That didn’t happen until July 2012. And the variants hadn’t made an appearance yet when I had mine. The farts and BM stories weren’t as bad as we were told. Actually a poll on FaceBook of over several thousand DSers show constipation is far more common. Yes, we get farts that can peel paint in the early years but honestly, shit stinks. Invest in a really good fan for your bathrooms. And avoid carbs. My husband’s were horrid preop and they aren’t any better post op.

Diarreah is very common in the first couple of weeks so be aware of that. You will wonder what you have done to yourself. Lactose intolerance is extremely common post op. I was drinking whole milk before my DS. The first protein shake I made post op was with whole milk. OMG, I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE. And the stink was horrendous. Even Lactaid pills didn’t help that early out. But I survived. I used water to make my protein shakes after that. Even now, I still can’t handle milk or ice cream but I can handle yogurt, cheese, etc.
Well it sounds like the issues I have now honestly lol ever since I had my gall bladder out I constantly have to go the bathroom and it’s always loose. I’m sure I can’t drink milk now but I do and instantly regret it lol. Well still doesn’t sound to serious then as that can be prevented it sounds. I just wanna do what’s right the first time around lol thanks again

Latest posts

Back