Smoking after surgery?

No, but how far post op are you? The surgeon wants you to not smoke for good reason, as it impedes healing and circulation. I wouldn't ever suggest going back to smoking, but for a fresh post op, it's an especially bad idea.

I only needed to be off the cigs for 6 weeks before my surgery. Not to be too preachy but, I am doing this for my health. I quit 7 months prior to my surgery date. I hope I never see a cigarette again. I want a healthier life and I am going to do everything I can to achieve that.

I watched a woman nearly die several times over because she couldn't/wouldn't let the smoking go after her DS. She might be dead now, as it's been over six years since I last saw her. She developed one pulmonary embolism after another. Then other lung problems. Then other stuff. Did I mention she had a couple of kids who were still minors and was a single mom?

You're trying to save your life, here, right? Make getting the tobacco out of your life part of the package.

The first few weeks of quitting are the hardest part, if you've already made it past that and broke the physical addiction it's just plain stupid to go back. I've quit (or tried to quit) a bunch of times and it took me getting pneumonia a few years back to really wake me up and scare me into not starting again. And after surgery the smell was the grossest thing in the world to me. Are you pre or post op? If you need it for the mental addiction part (which, IMO is much harder to break) get a nicotine free ecigarette or ehookah. I really like the flavored ehookahs, and it totally works for feeling exactly like a cigarette, but without the, oh, um, DEATH.

I smoked before and after surgery with no ill effects...yet. Yes, it's bad for you and you shouldn't. People tend to get really worked up about this but people who smoke have been having surgery and surviving for decades. Are there increased risks? Yes. Should you quit? Yes. Should I quit? Yes.

No, but how far post op are you? The surgeon wants you to not smoke for good reason, as it impedes healing and circulation. I wouldn't ever suggest going back to smoking, but for a fresh post op, it's an especially bad idea.
I've been operated 2 months ago...

I have smoked on and off for years. I remember when I was in High School and my Dad asked me "Sis are you smoking" I said no dad. Meanwhile there were ashes along the window frame of my VW. He looked at me very seriously and said I wish you would drink instead.

Anyway I quit years ago- ciggies anyway. While I do not drink like I used to I still like a good glass of wine or the occasional Manhattan.
Good luck on what ever you decide.
Whit

One of my aunts smoked her whole life. Then in her 40s, she found out she had lung cancer. It metastasized to her brain. She left behind a 16 year old daughter.

If you quit for the surgery, why start back?

I have a DSer friend who is now dead, and I'm pretty sure her smoking contributed to her death. She had several post op complications and surgeries, and smoking impedes healing. Most plastic surgeons do not operate on smokers for that very reason.

I smoked right up until my surgery and had my first cigarette the minute I got home from the hospital. I did finally quit about 5 years ago (6 years after surgery). Obviously smoking is bad for you and you should try to quit because it can impede healing.

I quit using Chantix. It worked for me because I was ready to quit smoking.

My surgeon required me to stop 4 weeks before surgery or no surgery. I did it and stayed smoke free for 3 1/2 months after. Stopped again to have plastic surgery, started again. It's tough and I know I'm healthier not smoking. One day I'll be in the mindset to stop and never "have just one". The have just one has bit me in the butt more times than I can count.

Your surgeon may test for nicotine. Your recovery will be easier without smoking. Please try your best to not pick up that one cigarette again.

Definitely try to follow what your surgeon says. My surgery was almost 12 years ago - things were definitely different back then. I was never "threatened" with no surgery if I didn't quit. If I had been, maybe I would have quit.

Please try your best to not pick up that one cigarette again.

I could never have "just one". I just came back from a cruise and I really, really, really wanted a cigarette, even though the smell now makes me sick. Never did because even though I want one every day, I don't think I could become a regular smoker again.

Latest posts

Back