Creon?!?

Spiky Bugger

I’m still losing weight without trying. Slowly.

[And then I recently learned that the reason my childhood friend Bob had stopped responding to me was NOT that I had pissed him off—we’d often do that…we were two years younger than our classmates and kept acting OUR age, instead of THEIR ages. As adults we realized that we were socially awkward at least because of skipping grades and all, and we still messed up— but that his failure to respond was because he had died. Cirrhosis of the liver. His sister told me that he continued smoking and drinking until the end, but his first symptoms were that his clothes were getting too big.]

And then I keep producing #6 or #7 on the Bristol Stool Chart. Flagyl and Lomotil make it stop. But about 2-3 days after I complete the course of treatment, it starts again. It isn’t c diff. (BTDT and MrSue can ID the odor from a mile away.) My GI doctor says I can try this and if it works, we don’t have to go on to imaging and stuff.

I don’t ACTUALLY want to gain weight. @hilary1617 and others with Creon experience, what do you think?

CCE5C747-95E4-4D7F-BE81-2090B4C90930.jpeg

Last edited:
I was put on Creon after distal pancreatectomy and liver resection (for cancer), so a very angry pancreas and extreme rate of loss that I don't think a standard DS patient would see. It definitely worked well to reduce the undesired loss. However, it did lead to burning #7, which was then addressed by taking welchol along with the creon.

There are some papaya-based alternatives to creon which might be worth trying first. Creon's pretty difficult to tolerate.

I was put on Creon after distal pancreatectomy and liver resection (for cancer), so a very angry pancreas and extreme rate of loss that I don't think a standard DS patient would see. It definitely worked well to reduce the undesired loss. However, it did lead to burning #7, which was then addressed by taking welchol along with the creon.

There are some papaya-based alternatives to creon which might be worth trying first. Creon's pretty difficult to tolerate.

It had better be a miracle drug, because I’m starting at Bristol 6 & 7. My gastroenterologist thinks that my diarrhea situation may be due to an inability to produce those enzymes.

I’m, of course, not bothered by the weight loss…just the diarrhea.

My hero is picking up the Rx now, after he goes to MY pharmacy to get MY drug. He called from HIS pharmacy, agitated that it wasn’t there. A moment in life with “mild” cognitive impairment. His doctors say he’s okay to drive because those neuropathways have been there for 56 years. I agree that he can operate the car. I’m just not sure about his reactions to sudden challenges.

But I’m looking up Welchol right now. (I remember the name of that drug but don’t recall WHY I remember it…lol)

I started with a #7 too. The creon didn't impact the texture very much, but did make it BURN. Welchol is a bile salt sequestrant.

@hilary1617 !!! Must you ALWAYS be right? (Actually, I was glad for the heads-up.)

The Creon was great, for a whole day. And at 5:00 am today, it announced, “See? You thought maybe Hilary had a one-off reaction and you were just fine. Well, try THIS on for how to poop a burning torch.”

So, Creon is on hold. I’ll contact my GI guy Monday and ask about Welchol AND the papaya-based stuff. (There are so many!)

Had you not warned me in advance, I might have become hysterical.

@hilary1617 !!! Must you ALWAYS be right? (Actually, I was glad for the heads-up.)

The Creon was great, for a whole day. And at 5:00 am today, it announced, “See? You thought maybe Hilary had a one-off reaction and you were just fine. Well, try THIS on for how to poop a burning torch.”

So, Creon is on hold. I’ll contact my GI guy Monday and ask about Welchol AND the papaya-based stuff. (There are so many!)

Had you not warned me in advance, I might have become hysterical.
Yep, it's like being on fire! Sorry you had to experience that too. Welchol definitely will help.

Latest posts

Back