Second Reclast infusion today....

You more or less have to do something. I'm older, so I factor that into the cost-benefit analysis, just like with plastic surgery, which I have pretty much eliminated as a choice. Not sure how many years I will enjoy the results kind of thing.

With the osteoporosis issue...I'm at the -penia level at the spine and -porosis level at the hip, so
I should probably do something. But a friend had a family member whose jaw evaporated on Fosamax, so
I'm still a-feared. I just have to see how rapidly things progress.

Meanwhile, we have a pool now and although it isn't ideal, I can get some walking in that way. If it starts to go south really fast, I may have to go to drugs. Damn!

You more or less have to do something. I'm older, so I factor that into the cost-benefit analysis, just like with plastic surgery, which I have pretty much eliminated as a choice. Not sure how many years I will enjoy the results kind of thing.

With the osteoporosis issue...I'm at the -penia level at the spine and -porosis level at the hip, so
I should probably do something. But a friend had a family member whose jaw evaporated on Fosamax, so
I'm still a-feared. I just have to see how rapidly things progress.

Meanwhile, we have a pool now and although it isn't ideal, I can get some walking in that way. If it starts to go south really fast, I may have to go to drugs. Damn!
The Fosamax appears to have this problem more frequently than does the annually infused Reclast.

So glad to hear how it's going. You give me hope.

According to my 2012 Dexa scan I have osteopenia and osteoporosis. BTW, EN, I had the most osteoporosis in my left arm, too. However, the blood tests my endocrin. did this past April showed a marked decrease in bone loss (that's approx. 1 year after the first Reclast infusion). No matter what this 2014 Dexa scan shows, she says she likes to do 2 consecutive years of the Reclast infusion and then one can generally skip a year or two.

BTW, I asked her what happens after the skipped year(s)? Is it like the first time (which was dreadful for me) or is it more like the second? She said all subsequent Reclast infusions are nothing like the first. I was happy to hear that.

I'm still a bit funky today, but nothing horrible. I decided to put off loading the pickup and going to the dump for another day, as I didn't feel up to doing any weightlifting. So I think the verdict is: MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than last time.

My PCP told me about one of the infusion meds that actually builds bones.

There are 4 available for infusion but to get the one (Forteo) that will build bones, most insurance companies (including Medicare) require that you "fail" one of the other three first.

http://www.forteoforsurgeons.com/Pages/index.aspx
For what it's worth, my BCBS/TN paid a good portion of my Forteo. My co-pay was $25. Then my employer changed our plan and my co-pay was $100. Now I'm on Tricare and my co-pay is $13. I went from Boniva to Forteo without any problems from my insurance company. Boniva did slow down my bone loss and in a few weeks I'll find out if the Forteo has built any up.

For what it's worth, my BCBS/TN paid a good portion of my Forteo. My co-pay was $25. Then my employer changed our plan and my co-pay was $100. Now I'm on Tricare and my co-pay is $13. I went from Boniva to Forteo without any problems from my insurance company. Boniva did slow down my bone loss and in a few weeks I'll find out if the Forteo has built any up.
The key is that you did the Boniva first.

HRUMPH. And you dare to say that without ever partying with me? I think you need to buy me a plane ticket so I can come torment you for a few days.
Hrumph back atcha! The sheets are in the dryer from the last visitors. I must recuperate!

And I should buy? Haaaaahahaha! I'm a pensioned off old civil servant...YOU have earning power!

Latest posts

Back