Revision from VBG to DS, Dr. Greenbaum

Hello everyone.

I have been researching VBG to DS revision for the last 6 years and finally have enough money to self-pay with Dr. Greenbaum.

They are faxing my script to me for an upper GI, so my question is this: where do I go to get an upper GI and do I just call to make the appointment and bring the script to the place? I've usually done all this through insurance in the past for surgeries, but my health insurance doesn't pay for the treatment of morbid obesity, so I will probably be self-paying for the upper GI.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Sincerely,

ThanksgivingGrrl

Updated to add: my insurance will cover the upper GI, according to the doc's office, but I have a $6K deductible, so eventually I will still pay for the upper GI in the end until my deductible is met, so I will still need to shop around for the best upper GI prices. I know I read a post somewhere that hospitals are usually more expensive and radiology/imaging centers are less expensive for cash prices. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

I hadn't met my deductible either for some of my pre-op testing but I still sent them all through insurance bc they will be adjusted by your insurance co and you'll only have to pay the portion your insurance allows to be billed for each procedure.

I don't know what kind of insurance you have or whether in network vs out of network applies to you but you can ask your insurance co for the name of an imaging center in your area that accepts your insurance.

I was a self pay w Greenbaum too. Good luck!

Ohh thanks so much, Jen. I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely put the stuff up til surgery through my insurance. I will definitely look and see who's in-network for me for the upper GI. How long ago did you have your surgery? How are you doing so far?

Hi! glad you are here & love the cute dog, too. that your dogger?

I'm not good with insurance/money questions but others will be. meanwhile, :welcome2:

Ohh thanks so much, Jen. I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely put the stuff up til surgery through my insurance. I will definitely look and see who's in-network for me for the upper GI. How long ago did you have your surgery? How are you doing so far?
I'm 2 months out. My surgery was February 2nd. It was a rough road in the beginning but I'm doing much better now. Down 40 pounds so far.

Btw as long as the pre-op tests aren't coded as related to your weight loss surgery then those out of pocket expenses will at least be applied toward your deductible which may help you later if you have more medical costs this year.

I forgot to say welcome to the board!

Welcome!
Do you have any specific complications from your old VBG? If so, maybe you could get your revision covered as treatment for a complication rather than as treatment for morbid obesity.

Hey Larra,

Oh yes, these are my comorbidities: I am a severe asthmatic and have been since I was 7 years old (29 years). I go through 1 ventolin inhaler a week. Migraines since I was pregnant with my daughter... so 11 years with migraines 2-3 times per week. Joint/hip/knee issues. My knees slide in and out and pop if I take a wrong step. An orthopedic surgeon told me I need to lose weight and they won't do that anymore. I have had 2 miscarriages, I believe because of my weight. I may have sleep apnea. I wake up about every 2 hours to use the restroom. I get skin rashes very easily. I get yeast infections maybe 2-4 times a year. I get bronchitis 1-2 times per year. In addition to all of this, I am a homebody. I used to go out a lot, but I have been made fun of through the years, so I have started to stay home more the last few years. I have a little bit of depression, but usually push right through it. Also, where the VBG is concerned: food gets stuck when I eat. I eat a lot of slider foods. I have to vomit if something gets stuck. I would like to reverse that so things don't get stuck and I'm not in pain.

My insurance plainly says they won't cover bariatric surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity. I am prepared to self-pay. But knowing that running things through insurance will help price-wise, I will definitely be doing that to save some money.

Next week I'll be calling to set up a time for the upper GI, so that will tell me if Dr. Greenbaum will even do the revision or not. Then I can go from there on getting everything else in the works.

I'm so glad to have you guys here who have been through this already to help guide us newbies through it all. I've been pretty obsessed with the research for the last 6 years and watching all of your stories, so I really appreciate you sharing with me. I will be sure and share my story with you.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

@JackieOnLine ... I wish that was my dog. You can actually look up the gif on that dog. He's dancing. Dancing chihuahua gif I think is how you find it on google images. So cute!

@aaa thank you so much

@newanatomy thank you for the warm welcome

@Larra thanks a bunch.

I look forward to reading more of all of your nuggets of wisdom.

Sincerely,

ThanksgivingGrrl (My favorite holiday)

@ThanksgivingGrrl what I mean by complication is something CAUSED BY the VBG, not your comorbidities related to being morbidly obese either now or in the past. It is possible that your upper GI may show something technically wrong with the VBG, such as a stricture, or some other complication, and that fixing that complication (by revising to a different bariatric surgery) MIGHT be covered by your insurance. It's clear that your comorbidities won't help you get coverage, because that would fall under the heading of treatment of morbid obesity, which apparently isn't covered.
I'm sorry you're having so many problems and hope revising to the DS will make a big difference in your life.

Latest posts

Back