my job will almost certainly be going away

o you like working with kids?

I haven't since I was in school and did one clinical in an elementary school. I got strep and, despite endless rounds of antibiotics, kept it until I got a job with health insurance (over a year later) and had my tonsils out. :frown:

Have you checked therapy companies like Sunbelt Staffing, Procare, Soliant, etc.

yes, I have been checking out all the options. Right now, there are plenty of jobs if I will relocate. But I would like - for maybe the first time ever - to think more long term and have an actual plan. I have not been good at this! :poop:

please, anyone out there, keep me in mind over the next year or two if you over-hear someone say they would like to rent out a room in their house or are looking for a live-in caregiver for their parents, anything like that. I need the stars to align so I can find someplace specific for my little dog and I to live for less money that is also in a place I can earn money. :banana:

I haven't ruled out living in a travel trailer, either. it's all on the table! :sm shades:

And if you're willing to go in an entirely different direction, we have a huge problem here in CA with the DMV and my paper says they have been authorized to hire about 200 more people to staff their offices, and may be authorized for an additional 400. OK, it's not the greatest job and you would need to relocate to somewhere in CA, so it would need to be somewhere not too unpalatable yet with a reasonable cost of living, but it's a job, and it wouldn't necessarily be forever.

And if you're willing to go in an entirely different direction, we have a huge problem here in CA with the DMV and my paper says they have been authorized to hire about 200 more people to staff their offices, and may be authorized for an additional 400. OK, it's not the greatest job and you would need to relocate to somewhere in CA, so it would need to be somewhere not too unpalatable yet with a reasonable cost of living, but it's a job, and it wouldn't necessarily be forever.

And guess what is legal here!

it's legal here, too, but since going off lexapro? it's not the same. as with gambling and binge eating, it isn't the same.

so I do much less of all of them except gambling which I gave up completely. :geek:

also? since giving up lexapro I have more restriction in my sleeve. not kidding.

I have interviewed with home health job and Monday they are going to make me an offer. I'm hoping for a good one, of course, but talked to a co-worker who said they gave her a "low ball" offer first.

I got a pep talk from another co-worker who reminded me that companies just don't give raises anymore - doesn't that suck? - but it's true, in this business they don't so what you sign on for is what you get and if you want more money you have to change jobs.

so it's really important I don't take a low offer and I'm not in a good negotiating place right now. I worked hard at not saying it, but I feel desperate to get away from the current job ASAP and this weekend is stressful because my dog Bunny is having what I assume is a pancreatitis flareup. she's fine now but only because she is fasting, and I will probably take her to the ER vet in Reno later today after I get a call back from my vet's office.

so I need some good NEGOTIATION vibes from all you smart practical people! I need to not just take the first offer because it will be a relief to get ON with it.

JackieOnLine , first I am sorry Bunny is unwell and I wish her a speedy recovery. You are awesome and you are worth it.

I have toured 5 different memory care facilities in the past three weeks. The number one criteria I have for entrusting my dad to anyone's care is the quality of the staff. It is the item most mentioned in reviews and the item that will make or break a home health care business. We all want our loved ones to be surrounded by attentive, kind souls who will treat them with compassion, dignity and respect. The ones that will treat our parents as if they are family, and that will stick around for the long haul. They will have a bargain getting you at any price and you have the upper hand here.

Do what you would advise your best friend to do in a similar situation. Go in strong and looking forward, not back. What is a fair price? Ask for it. If they say they have to consult with others because it is a high number, say fine, let me know how it goes after the consultation - don't waver. If they say no, say what is the most can they do and you'll think about it. Leave room for a second discussion at a later date. You can always come back and say you've thought about and are willing to accept a lower number.

You've got this. Be strong! You deserve it!

it's difficulty to know what would have happened, but at the moment I feel like I made two mistakes in a row. First was going back to the nursing home last July - which turned out to be incredibly stressful - and now the Home Health job which I started before Christmas, but at which I have only have been on my own (after training) for 3 weeks now.
I knew that my caseload would vary some, but it has been ridiculous and I am getting paid by the visit and have almost no control of how many visits I get. I won't make enough money to live on this week and next for sure and it's very hard to tell how often that will happen. but it takes me so long to do everything (and fix mistakes) that I don't end up with any more free time like a job where you get paid by the hour.

some other things are wrong with the job but I won't share since they are dull. it IS better than the nursing home, but anything would be. this week I agreed to go back to the nursing home to work some on Friday (if I don't have any home health visits) or Saturday if I do. I don't expect it will be too stressful as I am not full time and don't have to care about a lot of the crap like "productivity".

pretty sure I need to find another job ASAP*, while I have a little cushion in the bank. I was broke last summer so I am better off now, but with the horrible weather (so much more snow here than usual and they don't plow the side street, such as where I live, and I don't have snow tires let alone 4WW like my co-workers all do) and rising anxiety, it's hard to keep that in mind.

since this is the first winter in decades I have not been taking an SSRI, I was expecting some challenges but assumed it would be depression; instead it has been anxiety.:eek:

I have been reading/posting on a wonderful forum for people getting off these drugs and have learned a lot of coping skills. (which should have happened decades ago!) I have hopes this current wave of anxiety will recede, as did the bad insomnia I had last November. the key is really not to fight it, but accept and let time pass while trying to take care of yourself with healthy habits.

if anyone wants to send sympathy/encouragement, I'd appreciate it.

* I realize this could be the anxiety talking and I need, instead, to try harder to make this job work.
(I was so excited to sign up for benefits (like a real person) but they won't start until March. :( )

but my best guess is, no, this job won't work and I need another another one and NOT in healthcare because I am so burnt out. so, starting over at something else (what??) and at low pay.

as long as it has benefits, I really need to know I have health insurance for a change!

I'm sorry this post is so long and needy, but I am not in a great place right now. it really was worse last summer but then I could get out in the sun and walk my dog, the poor thing has only had tiny little walks in the cold and on the ice and none today with it pouring rain. :frown:

I know this will pass!

Having anxiety and (rage) depression myself, I feel your angst in stopping meds. Every once in a year, I get cocky and try to go off mine. It has never ended well. I DO hope you are successful.

Have you ever thought about working for the insurance industry? As in, an office job, reviewing claims?

I dont know where you are, but it sounds like you have winter blues on top of all this. I know Feb is my very worst time of year.

I do offer you support and sympathy. And I wish you better days.

Still on my first cup of coffee...but whenever “a job with insurance” comes up, I immediately think of Starbucks.

Gotta go pee in a bucket now....aaaargh!

My dtr works in food safety. They are in constant need of smart workers. She is in Grand Rapids.

Latest posts

Back