my job will almost certainly be going away

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I'd like this to be a rave because maybe the October 2019 changes to the way Medicare pays for rehabilitation is for the better: more quality, less cost to taxpayers. That is certainly the intent! But no longer paying by the "minutes" of therapy provided means there will be many fewer jobs, especially in OT and SLP, especially in SNFs, which is not only where my current job is but is most of my experience. (Also my current job is with an Evil Corporation who have been and will continue to actively prefer new grads to experiences therapists because less pay and willing to put up with more due to their student debt.)

but it's more likely a rant because I'd rather my needing another kind of job (not just another job) be voluntary!

feel free to make suggestions as to a brand new career. luckily there are a LOT of places on the internet to get free training. Just found Alison yesterday, for example. and free is what I will need, for sure.

I can learn again (since my brain has been recovering from going off lexapro) but not necessarily everything. I am not very good at math, for example, and I remember someone sharing a site where children can play a game to learn out to code and when I tried it, I didn't seem to be able to learn it at all. So, if it comes to tech I don't know what I'm capable of...but have always been more of a Liberal Arts person. I realize this is not a plus and, also, I am rusty at everything. :frown:

FYI I applied to Costco a few months ago and after finishing the application they basically said "don't call us". I would guess all the companies out there perceived as good places to work are flooded with applicants. :cautious:

does anyone know if learning "medical billing and coding" seems like a viable option? it seems to me that, like transcribing doctor's notes (I knew a woman who used to work at home doing that) those are jobs that have mostly gone away because since they can be done anywhere, they hire people overseas who can work for less. :unsure:

Last edited:
So sorry you are going through this. This may not help, but if your application to Costco was that long ago, you might want to apply again, as they probably keep applications only so long. You never know when something will open up.

Sorry to hear this! Seems like we have TONS of jobs but none of them pay enough to make even a basic living. You are still here, Nevada, right?

Go look on the state website for jobs. Apply for everything that's even close. These jobs do have long hiring cycles but they all pay enough to live on. Check out jobs at the local community colleges. They may be looking for someone to teach therapy classes. Any schools in your area for disabled people/children?

yes, I am still in Carson City but I'd be willing to relocate. I just applied to Costco in the spring. I was thinking of applying to Starbucks because I've heard even part timers can get benefits and I don't think the health insurance at evil corp (I'm not eligible for a few months anyway) is worth buying. I'm not sure.

also considering re-locating for another therapy job if it's somewhere I think I can make a living once the jobs go away. I was offered one in Klamath Falls a month ago but I think that is too rural. If I knew even ONE person there - even knew somebody who knew somebody - I'd have taken it, I think. I read the roommate wanted ads on Craig's list for K falls for a month solid, if I'd found an inexpensive place to live I'd have taken it, too.

Seems like we have TONS of jobs but none of them pay enough to make even a basic living.

oh, for sure, the Reno area is booming but housing costs have skyrocketed in the last few years and no end in sight.

plus I am going to be 57, in debt, and no savings. I need a decent job AND a cheaper way to live. and a second job, I suspect. :sick:

and since this is such a downer of a post, I'm going to add my size eight pants are fitting again. ;)

So sorry to hear of the job uncertainty. That sounds nerve-wracking. I know a few people who have had mid-career changes to become pharmacy technicians. There seems to be a high demand in that field. Anyway, best wishes. You are in my thoughts!

I’m not sure, but at least compared to San Jose, the cost of living seems reasonable in the Phoenix area, and there’s a lot of reasonably comfortable old people who spend some of their time in rehab. I also think there are older women who are living alone in nice homes with extra bedrooms who might want a roommate for safety and companionship.

Just a thought.

Grand Rapids, Michigan is booming, housing is around 900 mo. Chicago has endless jobs, but housing (not shared) is 2k mo. Shared, it can be had for 700 mo.

Silly woman! Medicare reimbursement for any sector improving? Dream on. Billing and coding may be an option, yet I agree that those jobs that can be done off-site are going overseas. Additionally, those programs that teach it give me the willies. I think, without proof, they are scams. I retired at 63 due to the changes in coding. Admittedly, being married to someone with two retirement accounts helps. He doesn't get much as a retiree from the Air Force, but the Tricare is a big help.

I believe in you and your resiliency. I'm sure everything will work out. Rural areas are dicey. Yes, costs are lower. Unemployment is higher because if the company/organization fails, it may take a while to get new jobs into the area. Besides being 57, wearing a size 8, and the rest, you are smart and resourceful. And you can come here and rant and/or rave and we'll support you.

I heard on TV today that the VA has over 30,000 job openings. Of course some are for folks like doctors and such, but there might be something that would fit with your qualifications and skill set, hopefully somewhere with a reasonable cost of living where you would be willing to relocate. You never know.

the cost of living seems reasonable in the Phoenix area
My first thought is no way I would move somewhere even hotter, after this month. :sick: but if you know anyone one specifically looking for a roommate I'd be happy to hear about it.

Grand Rapids, Michigan is booming, housing is around 900 mo. Chicago has endless jobs, but housing (not shared) is 2k mo. Shared, it can be had for 700 mo.
Reno is booming, also, and I have seen shared houses for around $700. I wouldn't have to move that far, in other words.

What do you do now?

I am a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant and have worked mostly in nursing homes but also in Home Health.

And you can come here and rant and/or rave and we'll support you.
thank you, I appreciate it.

I heard on TV today that the VA has over 30,000 job openings.
I have been on their site many times because every now & then they have a job for a COTA. I haven't seen anything else I qualify to do.

back when my oldest brother was in high school he went to the guidance councilor and said "what can I get in to and make a lot of money?" and was told "computers seem to be a good field with a lot of promise" and so he got a 2 year education (it was free, too, before community colleges it was a "vo-tech") and he ended up in charge of a team, all of whom had to have college degrees. (he was more than a little smug about that.)

so I was hoping y'all might know something like that. you know, the next computers. :rolleyes:

I don't know. honestly, there are so many things you can learn online it's overwhelming.

Oooh, have you tried applying to any school districts? Wait - do you like working with kids? OT assistants are in big demand in Ohio. Generally, the OT writes the plan and the assistant carries out the plan. You might think about checking Dept of Ed job websites in your state or where you think you might like to move. Your license should be enough to qualify for Dept of Ed certifications. If not, I would think the VA as Laura suggested would also be a great option. Have you checked therapy companies like Sunbelt Staffing, Procare, Soliant, etc.?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back