May I have a bit of a pity party?

Terri

I know we all lose at our own pace. I also know do measurements and not to pay so much attention to the numbers. I know STAY OFF THE SCALES, which I have. I weighed at 4 weeks follow up and didn't weight again for 3 more weeks. I also am aware that some people who lose huge amounts right out of the gate are losing water and not fat.

We all think we are going to be the one that the DS doesn't work on. Well it may be me. I am 7 weeks out and have lost 29 pounds. Yes that is 29 more pounds than with the DS. I am just seeing people who are only a month out who have lost 46, 60, and even 75 pounds. It is somewhat disheartening.

I have been doing what I am supposed to do getting my fluids, 50 and under carbs, 90+ protein. I haven't gotten the fat that I should because tummy is not liking it, but I am working on getting more in each day.

Ok pity party is over. Chin is up. Big girl panties are on.
We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

Where is the (friendly) sarcasm font when you need it?

Oh, poor baby! You've only been losing an average of four pounds a week. How will you ever survive this massive failure?!

Returning to regular font...hang in there. Faster than that might be impressive, but I don't know that it is in any way "better."

75 pounds in less than 2 months is scary, that's more than a pound a day, don't compare yourself to that. I think you're doing just fine. And like you said, I think we all think we're going to be the one to be a big failure, but you're not! Pity party OUT! ;)

I lost somewhere around 27 pounds in 2 weeks and did not lose 60 pounds until 3 1/2 months. At a year out I had only lost 80 pounds, at 3 years out I had lost 110% of my excess weight. At 9 years out I am holding at 100% EWL. It will happen, just keep on, keeping on. Oh, and stop feeling sorry for yourself, it doesn't make the scale go down any faster.

Don't fret little darlin'. I lost 34.2 pounds my first month but, I was very swollen. Since then, I average a little over 2 pounds per week or 9 pounds a month. Still freaks me out! I am afraid that it is just going to stop well before I reach goal. Then I realize that I can only continue to do what I know is best for my DS. The carbs still creep into my diet. I might lose a bit faster if I cut back to 50 grams per day like I know I should but I do eat pretty good carbs so I allow myself a few extra plus, I am exercising quite a bit.

We have to work hard to maintain our common sense about all of this. You are doing fine! Slow and steady will win this race!!

Thanks y'all! I know it is a marathon not a sprint and that it is coming off even if it is at slower pace than I want. I was having one of those hormonal days and need to feel sorry for myself for a minute. I am really seeing some changes. I see it in my face and I noticed a pair of pants got longer and most of my shirts are longer. So I am looking at the positives as well.

I know we all lose at our own pace. I also know do measurements and not to pay so much attention to the numbers. I know STAY OFF THE SCALES, which I have. I weighed at 4 weeks follow up and didn't weight again for 3 more weeks. I also am aware that some people who lose huge amounts right out of the gate are losing water and not fat.

We all think we are going to be the one that the DS doesn't work on. Well it may be me. I am 7 weeks out and have lost 29 pounds. Yes that is 29 more pounds than with the DS. I am just seeing people who are only a month out who have lost 46, 60, and even 75 pounds. It is somewhat disheartening.

I have been doing what I am supposed to do getting my fluids, 50 and under carbs, 90+ protein. I haven't gotten the fat that I should because tummy is not liking it, but I am working on getting more in each day.

Ok pity party is over. Chin is up. Big girl panties are on.
We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

OH NOEZ!!!!!!!!! She's only losing FOUR POUNDS A WEEK!!!!!
:whistling:
Honey, we all understand, I promise. But you gotta get a grip on this mind game stuff. There will always be another mind game to come along. (Which reminds me, I was going to start a thread about that last week and got distracted.)

According to your stats, you started with 165 pounds to lose. You are down a total of 39 pounds, which is almost 24% of your excess weight. You have lost 17.5% of your excess weight in seven weeks.

At seven weeks out, I had lost 16.7% of my excess weight. At four months out, I was down 40%. At one year, it was about 85%. At two years and two months, I reached 100% EWL.

Now, at almost 8 years out, guess where I am? Floating just a little higher than I would "like" to be (but not so upsetting that I'll forego my Montana microbrews to low-carb *g*) at 85-90% EWL.

RELAX. You're doing great and all will be well.

At the same time, I'm going to remind you that WLS "success" is defined as 50% EWL by the medical establishment. 100% or more, maintained long term, is not realistic at all.

If the numbers in your sig line do not take that into consideration, then I hope you are not utterly wedded to those "magic numbers."

Thanks y'all! I know it is a marathon not a sprint and that it is coming off even if it is at slower pace than I want. I was having one of those hormonal days and need to feel sorry for myself for a minute. I am really seeing some changes. I see it in my face and I noticed a pair of pants got longer and most of my shirts are longer. So I am looking at the positives as well.

If this is slower than you want, then the problem is with what you want. REALITY CHECK TIME hon, k?

yes, you may have a pity party. as long as it is temporary, and I think it will be.

meanwhile, here is an otter for you

seaotterface_v1.jpg

And if you are seriously worried, cut the carbs to 20 or less. Just like Atkins Induction. I get this. There is nothing wrong with your weight loss, you are just worried you will run out of window before you hit goal. If you are worried, you know what to do.

I have given out the same advice forever. Just lose the weight and don't even think about a carb till you are 10% under goal. You will have the rest of your life to experiment with carbs. Lose while you can and it's relatively easy. Everyone's DS is not created equal.

No one loses 75 lbs in one month unless they have a leg chopped off. I think what you are seeing is that some people include their pre-op weight loss in their total weight loss at 1 month post-op. Lost 40-50 lbs pre-op, which some people actually do, then add in what they lose in the first month, and the total looks like a lot. Well, it is a lot! But they didn't lose all of it the first month post-op.
You are doing just fine. Your DS is working. Just keep eating your protein, drinking your water, exercising as best you can at this early point, get in more fat when you can, and the DS magic will happen for you.

I knew you guys would tell me what I needed to hear. @Larra I think in my head I knew that this must be some pre op loss included. I am definitely feeling better this evening.

You guys really rock. I am not one that usually needs stroking and encouraged, I am usually everyone else's cheerleader, but today I did and you guys were here. Thanks!

Go right ahead and whine if you need to. Meanwhile, are you eating ENOUGH? While I think your weight loss is excellent, it might be the same for you as it was for me at first. I wasn't getting ENOUGH calories in a day. I was only eating 700 calories because of my effing tight sleeve. When I got in more calories, my pants started falling off every time I turned around.

Which reminds me. Have you went shopping at Goodwill or Salvation Army lately? Their stuff here is CRAP all of a sudden. Like somebody is hoarding all the good shit and not giving it to the second hand stores any more.

@Terri I had exactly the same starting weight as you. At one month out, I had lost 22 pounds. At two months out, I had lost 37. Pretty close to your results, huh?

This afternoon when I got home from vacation, I weighed 117.5

Don't fret, honey! It's happening for you! :)

Latest posts

Back