lunch ideas

Rhondajs

So when I go to work, I often pack my lunch. The cafeteria usually only has heavy carb options and salad bars gross me out. Anyone have lunch ideas other than leftovers? I'm getting bored with my normal choices.

One that I do often is lettuce wrap tacos. I make taco meat with ground beef and all the taco fixings. Then I put it on butter lettuce instead of a taco shell or tortilla.

So when I go to work, I often pack my lunch. The cafeteria usually only has heavy carb options and salad bars gross me out. Anyone have lunch ideas other than leftovers? I'm getting bored with my normal choices.

One that I do often is lettuce wrap tacos. I make taco meat with ground beef and all the taco fixings. Then I put it on butter lettuce instead of a taco shell or tortilla.
Unless you just want to waste lettuce, just stick the filling in a container and use a fork.

For lunches at home (I work from home several days per week), I tend to cook lunches in "bulk" and keep in the freezer or fridge. For example, I might make several burgers (any type of ground meat) and eat those during the week. I like a turkey burger with feta cheese and tzatziki sauce. You could do the same with chicken (pack a chicken leg or few wings), a slice of meatloaf, or bring meat salads (chicken salad, ham salad, etc). I also like the chicken/apple sausages available in the fridge section of the store. Those are quick and easy to microwave.

After much experimentation, when I go to work, I find it is easier for me to just pack snack items such as yogurt, meat roll up, cheese, nuts, etc., and munch all day long rather than try to eat a regular "lunch." I also tend to have a better weigh in at the end of the week when I eat small frequent meals like these.

OMG, there's so many! I always have a rotisserie chicken on hand. If you take 2 pieces of sliced ham lunchmeat and slightly overlap them, spread some shredded chicken breast in the middle and top with Swiss cheese and roll it up. I also top the chicken with cheddar cheese and bacon and roll it up. Microwave for 45 seconds, and it's pretty satisfying.
I also take chunked chicken and top with Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, and Queso fresca. It works cold, has good fats and only 2 carbs.
I made my son Nachos. Had ground beef, pico, cheese, sour cream, and Guac and packed pork rinds on the side for him to scoop with.
I'm a big fan of leftovers, too. I just made dirty "rice" (riced cauliflower) the other day. It was pretty good, and it reheated so well!! Super protein loaded.

I make chicken salad at home and just put it in a container to bring to work. That being said, this week alone I've had taco fixings in a container, chicken chow mein without chow mein noodles, baked steak, and a bunless hamburger--all made at home, all low carb, and all delicious. I freeze left-overs in individual containers and bring them whenever I want. I just grab a premeasured meal and go. It always meets my dietary criteria and it's always good. Plus, by freezing them, I don't have to eat them immediately.

I looked for EN's Hunk of Critter and couldn't find it. Basically it's a hunk of any kind of meat, butter, and onions in a crockpot. I haven't made it in a while so I forget the details. I take a 3# (more or less) pot roast, a stick of butter, and cram the rest of the crockpot with onions. You can also add herbs like oregano, Cook for the day on low. I ate on that for days.

I looked for EN's Hunk of Critter and couldn't find it. Basically it's a hunk of any kind of meat, butter, and onions in a crockpot. I haven't made it in a while so I forget the details. I take a 3# (more or less) pot roast, a stick of butter, and cram the rest of the crockpot with onions. You can also add herbs like oregano, Cook for the day on low. I ate on that for days.
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/ens-hunk-o-critter.39/

love leftovers for lunch. I intentionally cook more meat than needed, so I always have choices in the fridge.
Hunk of critter is excellent. I make it very plain, then use different sauces and accompaniments for variety

I liked to wrap turkey around a pickle.
I also love a good chicken Ceaser with tons of parmesan. Chef salad, tuna salad with capers, onions, fresh tarragon and mayo. Cold meatloaf with dill pickles.

My new "jam" is to order a hamburger...immediately toss the buns!! Avoid temptation!! I eat it like that or i order a side salad and place it on top of that. Cheeseburger salads are THE best!

I'm not a serious carb counter, but for 22g carbs, one of my favorite quick lunches is a quesadilla. White flour tortilla stuffed with cheese, leftover chicken/steak/pork, and salsa. Fold over and nuke for a minute or two until the cheese melts. You can easily get 30g protein, and one is enough for lunch as well as an afternoon snack. If you have some avacado or guacamole lying around, even better. Needing so much meat can get expensive. I make a pot of meat-heavy chili that lasts for several lunches. And I am big on homemade soup. I make a chicken vegetable soup using a whole chicken so it is very meaty or a split pea soup heavy on the ham. Better than canned soup and much higher protein the way I make it. Not when it is this hot outside, of course!

Latest posts

Back