Short ribs!

Jo777

Aug 2017
Not too much action here, so figured I'd start occasionally posting my daily eats. Today: 2 packs of short ribs.. one from the old side we got- one from the new.

Here's the inspiration: http://southern.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-short-ribs-32147

What I actually did, so far as I can recall:

no flour, browned meat & fat on a scorching cast iron skillet till crispy bits formed..
Chopped a couple onions, 4-5 cloves of garlic..
into the "sauce" I put: prob 1/4C ketchup, a tsp or so salt, a tb or less brown sugar, a couple glugs Worcestershire sauce, pepper, a dash of ground cloves, cinnamon, chipotle chili powder, a goodly amount red wine vinegar, a couple glugs french onion soup from a box (it was in the fridge, and I have no beef broth.. all about using leftovers).. several tbs of hot pepper sauce from a bottle- yay! one more less condiment bottle in the fridge, always a good thing! And, for good measure, a glug of fresh apple cider we got yesterday that's on top of the fridge fermenting for as long as it will last.. along with a half stick of butter for good taste. All zapped and melted together, and it tasted good! Tangy, slightly sweet, and spicy!

Meat got loaded into the crock-pot, layered with the onion & minced garlic, and covered with the sauce.. on high for a few hours, then on low.. if it's not tender by 8pm I'm calling a sushi night. My glasses had the wonderful haze of standing in front of a hot pan spattering beef fat everywhere. I needed a shower after browning the short ribs.. granted I was wearing my pj's and an apron while doing this greasy business so that was not a biggie.. :)

This sounds fabulous. I was going to make Diana's pork-n-pine tonight but I'd rather have this.

Pork-n-pine, also known as Swineapple.

Pork loin or tenderloin, pineapple and I don;t know what as there wasn;t an actual recipe. I think Diana's was where the tenderloin is inserted in a whole pineapple, wrapped in bacon and grilled.

I found a recipe with swiss chard, shallots, garlic, chopped pineapple tied up in a pounded tenderloin, brushed with a mixture of soy, grated fresh ginger, oil and garlic, and grilled over medium heat. (The key is to stuff tenderloin just before cooking or the pineapple starts to "digest" the pork and makes it gummy.) My grill is broken so I'll just broil it in oven. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Mine was notsomuch a visual success, but it was delicious nonetheless:
11120589_10152923340866173_5632091201311684024_n.jpg

11295743_10152923340221173_4957495884254045865_n.jpg

11224693_10152923340381173_6794498961106002780_n.jpg

The tenderloin was too big for the pineapple. But it was yummy.

Sliced up:
11060887_10152923340451173_3166866941231537715_n.jpg

@DianaCox What am I looking at? Did you spear hunks of pineapple to the tenderloin? Where was the braided bacon placed?

NEVERMIND. YOU POSTED MORE PICS WHICH EXPLAIN.

Mine was ok, not great.

Chard, shallot, garlic, pineapple filling..
Pork Pineapple filling.jpg

Hot filling in pounded pork tenderloin, rolled and tied. Really hard as tenderloin does not have a lot of surface area. In the end it looked like @DSRIGGS bowel pictures.

Pork Pineapple raw.jpg

Brushed with mixture of soy, grated fresh ginger, garlic, olive oil. Then broiled on low.

Pork Pineapple cut.jpg

Not the prettiest, but oh boy good.. I don't normally take pics of my food- but the pre-cooked meat & bones were impressive. I made a side of mashed cauli with cream cheese, butter & cream in it to sop up juices.. It was one of those meals where my stomach was done before I was. I love short ribs.

nzg7jr.jpg

That stuffed tenderloin looks amazing! I found the swineapple idea after googling, saved it as I love grilled fruit and that sounds like the perfect combo of sweet & salty when I need to make something impressive and not just a pile of tasty stewed bits.

Your short ribs look wonderful. Costco has beef short ribs sporadically. I'll have to be on the lookout for them.

thank you all! these all look great. I am going to be trying them. I have cooled more since surgery than in a long long time, and I am enjoying it.

I am still laughing about the rolled pork tenderloin looking like Scotts bowel. Hopefully won't be thinking that when trying to eat it. :)

I'ma comin' over to ALL Y'ALLs houses. But I'm going to have to poke out my mind's eye about that pork roll looking like Scott's bowels ....

Latest posts

Back