Hello from the Delaware Watergap

I am always torn as to what to write when new comers or anyone for that matter ask for opinions and then immediately become offended when confronted with the unpleasant facts. While your situation is personal to you it is not one we have not heard before.

Admittley I stopped reading when the IQ was posted. I am of average intelligence and hormones have me seriously wondering what has happened to my cognitive functions. My attention span is also questionable long posts and I are a no go.

I revised from RNY to DS and it's no joke. I was half the weight you are and never got close to a normal BMI. It is not the best surgery period. IMO you should not consider it. You will need a second surgery. If sleeve or RNY are your only options then sleeve. But you will still need a second surgery.

Support, advice, and compassion are given freely on this site. Nothing is sugar coated here.
this board is what you make it I wish you luck.

I wasn't offended by the facts, I was offended by the manner in which it was presented by Dr. Cox, there is an extreme difference. Questioning my resolve and choosing to use vulgar language or sarcastic meme's in order to get her point across are not things I'm going to shine to. It is obvious that you haven't read the whole conversation or you would know that Sleeve and RNY were not my only options, and while I said I was concerned about the DS I never said I ruled it out, I was simply Introducing myself and explaining what I had been doing so far. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't to learn and seek encouragement in my journey.

Keep in mind, I volunteered my IQ only after she questioned it

she's talking hormones - and having just spent a decade in peri-menopause I hear what she is saying. I am even raising a fist in salute.

so my post was not actually about you.

If it weren't for these ladies I probably would be dead. If you think that was vulger EN has probably not posted. "Buckle up for Candor" It's not just a tag line on this site.

Good luck

I understand that you don't like the way Diana delivered free advice to you but, in no part, of any of her posts, in this thread was she vulgar.

I remember when I was first posting. I knew the next step for me was death or total disability if I didn't do something. I needed to feel like I had control and the knowledge to determine my future. I really NEEDED to be empowered over my destiny. I, had at least, given up on the idea of discipline. I knew that wouldn't work over time. If it would work, I'd have done it long before I go so sick. Obesity is a disease not a weakness, often society treats it as such.

I remember I thought you guys were really mean, I didn't like it but I swallowed my fear and listened to what I could. I made mistakes but I heard what you guys said. If I had tried on my own, I'd have been back here in a year or two. If I'd gone with the sleeve or RNY I'd have been back here in about 5 years begging for help with a revision.

The biggest impact of what I heard was what my life was going to be like after surgery. Today, 3 years out, I can go out with friends and participate in meals, I can eat with my family and I eat a normal portion. If I'd had the RNY, I would have been limited to low cal, low fat 4 oz meals for as long as I could do it. Then I would have had the inevitable weight gain and doctors would have blamed me for their lesser surgery. If I'd had the sleeve, it would have stretched by now, my diabetes wouldn't have resolved and I'd be in worse shape than where I started. You guys weren't always the kindest but you were smarter than I was. You knew what I needed before I did. My big ego was a way of hiding my fear but I was willing to do anything to see my baby girl grow up. Anything! So I swallowed my pride and mostly listened.

Whit, I don't think (and this is just my opinion) you are ready. You have to struggle more before you understand how powerless you are over this. You are using logic to attempt to feel like you are in control of a disease. Obesity is like cancer, you can't outsmart it. You can't bully it. You can only fix it long - term with the best information (from those that have been there) and make the best decision for you once you realize the demon it really is.

Take care, Whit. This is actually the best place for accurate information that will lead you to a successful and hopefully long life. Just think of our old bad cop as a grumpy drill sergeant that knows all the ropes ;)

@MyNewLife I think you meant to address your heartfelt comments to @Denis Korb and not to @Whit. Whit has already had her RNY to DS revision and is doing great.

Woops. It's Sunday and I'm trying to talk my college age daughter, who is home for Spring Break, into making me bbq wings for dinner :) I guess I'm distracted but she makes the most awesome wings!!! Sorry, Whit. Attn: Denis :)

@MyNewLife....Not sure if I’ve ever seen a better post. That pretty much sums it up. When I first came here about 8 months ago, I was a little bit “Cocky” too and thought I knew everything. After all, I know SO much, I’m even in a book about nutrition written by Lee Labrada and Keith Klein. My before and after pictures are on page 10, the FIRST and most successful example in the book. For those of you who don’t know who that is, Lee is one of the world’s most well-known and celebrated bodybuilding legends. Lee Labrada holds 22 professional bodybuilding titles, including the IFBB Mr. Universe. He is one of the few pro bodybuilders in history to consistently have placed in the top four at the Mr. Olympia competition (the “Super Bowl” of bodybuilding) for seven consecutive years; a feat he shares with Arnold Schwarzenegger. He has appeared on the covers of more than 100 bodybuilding and fitness magazines and has been featured on CNBC, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and ESPN as a fitness and nutrition expert and has his own nutrition company with worldwide fame.

I also worked at NASA for almost 20 yrs on the Shuttle contract and have also run my own multi-million dollar business, ALL VERY successfully. Point being….As successfull as I have always been and as much as I know and thought I knew or know, I had to humble my GD self and start completely over when I came in to this group also. They are in a league all of their own Denis and I was smart enough to recognize that right from the beginning. That is why they formed their own website. You should feel SO grateful that you tapped into this plethora of knowledge….It literally can be your “Golden Ticket” if you stop being so stubborn and defensive. You will get to live your life again if you do as I suggested, LOOK, LISTEN and LEARN.....AND, they ARE very kind and sweet, that’s why they spend SO much of their own FREE time to try to help people. It’s not about ego. Everyone that posts here is very confident and great at what they do and EXTREMLY brilliant all in their own unique and different ways. They are awesome alone, but when combined, their synergy is un-paralleled in any group I’ve ever been around and that includes being around the best of the best, Astronauts and Shuttle crews.

Let’s ALL start over Denis. I extend to you a “Cyber-Olive branch…My name is Robert, Rob, and we ALL want to help you.

Okay, I don't believe I ever questioned anybody's, credentials, and I define vulgar language as using a four letter word to get your point across. As an adult I don't need to curse in order to define a point. implying in any way that someone may be less intelligent by posting a meme, or suggesting its necessary to have an IQ test in order to get a DS, whether intentional or otherwise is offensive. I have been relatively respectful of Dr. Cox even with all of her assumptions that I was not open to a discussion on the DS, or unwilling to hear what she had to say. It is apparent that there are some who have read this entire thread and some who have not, so I will sum it up...I don't "hate" Dr.Cox her initial post made many assumptions that are/were un-necessary, and the fact that she felt it necessary to discourage me rather then encourage me in what I considered to be a vulgar manner initially offended me. My initial response to Dr. Cox who I'm positive had the best of intentions was to clearly define that I am not the type of person who appreciates being cursed at in any way. I don't use the word hell, or ass, or the F word as someone else posted to get my points across. I also hold no illusions as to whether or not I would achieve 250 pounds by Christmas, which is why I defined it as a goal that I would like to attain. As for my diet I clearly stated I like my diet, its not something I haven't done before while I was in the military, I will not have any problems staying on a high protein diet, I understand that the calorie bar is going to lower as I lose weight and I'm prepared for that. Yes I'm open to listening to everyone's Ideas. I haven't even spoken to my Surgeon yet so I'm here to learn what and how to ask. I get that everyone is Passionate, assuming that I am not equally passionate is on you. Once I have met my Surgeon and know what he wants to do or is capable of doing I will happily relay that information or lack thereof after I have consulted my "Social Worker" which has helped me fine thus far. Like I said, I hit my Rock Bottom, I am very determined, and I appreciate the information from those who are truly trying to be encouraging and helpful.

@MyNewLife....Not sure if I’ve ever seen a better post. That pretty much sums it up. When I first came here about 8 months ago, I was a little bit “Cocky” too and thought I knew everything. After all, I know SO much, I’m even in a book about nutrition written by Lee Labrada and Keith Klein. My before and after pictures are on page 10, the FIRST and most successful example in the book. For those of you who don’t know who that is, Lee is one of the world’s most well-known and celebrated bodybuilding legends. Lee Labrada holds 22 professional bodybuilding titles, including the IFBB Mr. Universe. He is one of the few pro bodybuilders in history to consistently have placed in the top four at the Mr. Olympia competition (the “Super Bowl” of bodybuilding) for seven consecutive years; a feat he shares with Arnold Schwarzenegger. He has appeared on the covers of more than 100 bodybuilding and fitness magazines and has been featured on CNBC, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and ESPN as a fitness and nutrition expert and has his own nutrition company with worldwide fame.

I also worked at NASA for almost 20 yrs on the Shuttle contract and have also run my own multi-million dollar business, ALL VERY successfully. Point being….As successfull as I have always been and as much as I know and thought I knew or know, I had to humble my GD self and start completely over when I came in to this group also. They are in a league all of their own Denis and I was smart enough to recognize that right from the beginning. That is why they formed their own website. You should feel SO grateful that you tapped into this plethora of knowledge….It literally can be your “Golden Ticket” if you stop being so stubborn and defensive. You will get to live your life again if you do as I suggested, LOOK, LISTEN and LEARN.....AND, they ARE very kind and sweet, that’s why they spend SO much of their own FREE time to try to help people. It’s not about ego. Everyone that posts here is very confident and great at what they do and EXTREMLY brilliant all in their own unique and different ways. They are awesome alone, but when combined, their synergy is un-paralleled in any group I’ve ever been around and that includes being around the best of the best, Astronauts and Shuttle crews.

Let’s ALL start over Denis. I extend to you a “Cyber-Olive branch…My name is Robert, Rob, and we ALL want to help you.

Hello Rob, thank you for the Olive Branch, yes I appreciate the information, and while I appreciate your sentiment, I'm not being stubborn and defensive, I am being resolute.

Latest posts

Back