Hello from the Delaware Watergap

Denis, after reading your story on OH I understand you better. Hurry up and get over the diet thing because you need the DS now. Not later. Your quality of life has/is already diminished and quite honestly there is no way way you can lose enough weight and keep it off to rejoin the real world any time soon. You have too many physical limitations and your mobility is impaired.

Now I will tell you a little story. I met a man at my surgeon's office who had the DS at 800+ pounds. He had been a very active farmer. He was in an accident and suddenly confined to bed for a long period of time while he was healing. His activity level changed and he never adjusted his intake to the level of just a bit above nothing. He knew he had gained but had no idea how heavy he really was. By the time he had healed enough to drive, he no longer fit behind the wheel. He could no longer do his job and take care of his family so he had the DS. When I met him, he was down to about 250, still walked with a cane, and the leftovers were not pretty but he was going to get some plastics done to further improve his mobility. I would guess he was late 50's or early 60's. But pretty much in the same boat as you, he HAD to lose weight to live and he couldn't really do significant exercise. The DS worked for him and it will work for you too.

You can rationalize till the cows come home and the bottom line is not going to change.

I still agree with what everybody has said.
You need the DS and nothing but the DS.
Especially with your back and knee issues. Not being able to ever take NSAIDS ais reason enough to NOT have RNY.

So, Im late to the party as usual. But for what its worth, At 560 I was able to lose down to 480 with weight watchers because ya know, WLS was butchery and surgically induced bulimia and all the jazz. I was 480 and doing it "proper". Then life happened.....and in a couple of years I was 560 again. A few years later I moved to the UK and got married. Did a 1200 calorie low GI diet and got down to 480 again. In my adult life I had never ever been able to get below 480. After the trauma of moving countries, getting married and an ectopic pregnancy all within 3 months, I had a bipolar episode and had to be put on rispiridone...a known weight gainer. That got me to my high weight of 644lbs by 2010.

It was then that I had a sleeve as the first part of a DS. I was too heavy and too much of a risk for the full shebang. I am rare, not special by any means, but rare. I have a will that won't quit and Im stubborn as a mule. I did lose over 200lbs with just a sleeve, but it took a long time. The NHS waiting lists meant that I had a 4 years wait between sleeve and the DS. By the end of the 4 years I was struggling with all my might not to gain, just like before the sleeve.

I too was terrified of the DS. Just thinking about it made me heave. I dunno why, its not really a big deal if you are clever enough to take care of yourself, do your own research and advocate for yourself. I have now lost 320lbs and still losing. You can read my story at my blog where I ummmmmmed and awwwwwed about going to RNY from the sleeve despite all the research, because I was scared. Very scared. But my surgeon, who is now a Professor, is one of the best of the best DS surgeons in the UK told me he would do as I wished but that I should be aware I wouldn't lose more than another 25lbs with RNY on top of sleeve. So, I went with DS and haven't regretted a second of it.

So yeah, had I pulled my head out of my arse in 2001 and had the DS instead of being a smug arse and "doing it myself", I would be done with this journey and still really young!

Good luck to you in whatever you do. In this life we only get one chance to use the time we have.

Latest posts

Back