leaving hospital Ama its BAD!

I was figuring she'd need a blood transfusion after seeing the blood in the vomit basin on the other thread and the absolute mess he made of her body in the picture posted in this thread. It looks like he tried ramming the tools through her from the inside out! I'm surprised it's taken this long to finally get the transfusion going, but figure I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm honestly not sure how to get another surgeon on the case either. Professional "courtesy" will likely have people in that hospital not going against the surgeon on record for her care. The only way I can see something happening is if Medicaid gets involved and forces the issue OR she gets discharged (not AMA) and gets transferred immediately to a hospital that doesn't sound like its a training ground for circus clowns.

In any case, Im glad glad glad she is getting a transfusion to at least replenish what has already been lost. I do hope they investigate thoroughly the potential active bleed situation...and a complaint gets filed with the state medical board too. I keep checking back here hoping for good news because I'm so worried for your poor cousin.

You've got some good insight from others here. Please let us know how things are going. Praying for your cousin. Hope you are keeping yourself healthy too.

@Charris Listen, keep calm and get her out of there. There is a way. You have great power as her advocate. The link I posted above for patient rights has a number for a "patient representative" @ Maryvale. Call it. See if there is a nurse advocate available at that number. Call all over the Medicaid offices until you find someone with a brain and a heart to help. Call the Attorney General's office: https://www.azag.gov/complaints

I am a caregiver for a family member with significant health issues and hear "no" all of the time. I stopped listening a long time ago, because there is always someone with a heart somewhere who can help find a back door. You just have to find them. Play whatever card you have to. It's a PITA to make a million phone calls, but someone out there has the information you need.

Now go kick some $$$.

OK, I think I found the wording for patient rights at Maryvale: http://www.abrazohealth.com/patients/patient_rights.aspx
I'm also wondering if she has rights under EMTALA to be transferred to a critical care unit which would give her access to the higher level of comprehensive care that she needs: http://www.ascensionhealth.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146&Itemid=172

Thanks Protein Snob,
I am searching that site now for a patient advocate contact informtion. If i dont find it i think I am going to call the social worker. Something has to be done especially since THEY KNOW SHE IS BLEEDING INSIDE AND ARE TRYNG TO BASICALLY WAIT IT OUT!!!!

You know what? Can you call the hospital that she wants to transfer to and ask THEM what the criteria for transferring is? Especially if you can't find anyone who knows the answer @ Maryvale. They will want her to be "stable"... It's good to call during the day, when there are more staff around. Knowledge is power, even if she stays put for now.

OK to be honest we just want the closest trauma center. The only thing is NO DOCTOR wants to be involved with this. Right now should i focus on getting her back in the OR since he knows there for sure is a bleed? Im thinking they are going to check her count every 4 hours is waiting too long? They give her the transufion and she continues to bleed out then she will need another transfusion before than can safely be taken back to surgery? Wouldnt it be better to get her back in the OR as soon after the transfusion as possible so she at least has a decent level going into surgery?

I don't know from a medical perspective at all. Maybe? But I don't trust them and so would want them doing the least invasive thing possible. Just get her stable enough to get her the hell out of there would be my instinct. Somebody with knowledge and experience may be along soon.

I apologize for being unable to provide concrete info and help with your situation. I am from Canada and a pre-Op with little experience, but I have been following your thread. Like everyone here, I am very concerned about your cousin. She is about a year or so younger than I am. The medical negligence evidenced in her case is absolutely sickening. You are doing such an excellent job as her advocate, and like more experienced members have said, please keep pushing. There must be a way, somewhere, to get her the help she desperately needs.

I am praying for her, and I am sending prayers your way and wishing you strength, continued composure and prompt success in this endeavour. I have been checking for updates today (or 2 days ever since you started posting), and I will keep dropping by and keep pushing and praying for things to start looking up for her.

I pray your cousin is safe and all is well. I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't trust Dr S. To ck my BP let alone do surgery. 6 months ago he was trolling OH for band patients, he himself was stating that if a bandster had a problem he would go in, UN-buckle the band then go back later and rebuckle. Seriously? Then he started promoting the sleeve. As a surgeon this man SCARES ME.
http://www.outpatientsurgery.net/su...8-million-for-gastric-banding-death--01-24-11

Annie I just actually read the article and I am freaked out right now. He has been just like OH no big deal just like he was with this patient who died. Im at work(first day back) trying to get shit done between clients and frustrated.

@ProteinSnob, No one at the patient advocate numbers will answer and yep you guessed right their answering systems wont accept messages. I feel like balling. But remembering what EN said I have 1/2 mama's DNA and I have to pull it together.

Last edited:
Is there a friend or family with her most of the time? I don't know how accurate they are, but you can get a wrist BP monitor at Walmart for not much more than $20. Not TOO expensive for peace of mind/or for demand staff check if it's really low.

Oh...and again, I know nothing about medicine, but most tires don't have a built in clotting mechanism. So my wild ass guess would be that they are hoping the body starts healing, which MAYBE (?) could happen?

I hope someone who took a science class other than Physics for Social Science Majors gets here in a hurry...to correct me if I am way off here.

Things are moving along. YIPPIE I got ahold to the patient advocate. She called the nursing director. Within 30 minutes the nursing director was in the room evaluating my cousin and the files. She called another bariatric doctor who is now I guess from what they said is going to do to the test where it something runs through you ad they can watch it on the monitor. Depending on what that says the other doctor will take her back to surgery.

I had to go off on my cousin. It was probably out of frustration but.... Everytime they ask her how she feels she says fine/ good. I told her stop saying that shit. I got really blunt and explained she WOULD DIE IF THEY DO NOT fix the bleeding. SHE WOULD GET SEPTIC AND DIE. sO I TOLD HER ALL THE WORK IM DOING TO HELP YOU TO LIVE AND YOU GIVE THEM SOME blanket ass answer. When I explained it to her she got it and realized she too should be worried and not down playing whats going on

Is there a friend or family with her most of the time? I don't know how accurate they are, but you can get a wrist BP monitor at Walmart for not much more than $20. Not TOO expensive for peace of mind/or for demand staff check if it's really low.

All of the TIME!

I am so so sorry to hear this, couldn't offer anything better than what you've had posted here so far, and the only other medical practitioner I ask questions of is our mutual surgeon. Just wanted you to know how terribly sorry I am and hope you/your cousin get resolution and she's ok.

Latest posts

Back