leaving hospital Ama its BAD!

[quoplateletarra, post: 4076, member: 8"]Clearly the situation is concerning. If it's any comfort (it probably won't be, but I'll try) surgical bleeds in the stomach often DO stop with time, thanks to the body's clotting mechanisms. This assumes that your cousin has normal clotting mechanisms, and of course I can't possibly know that one way or the other. It also assumes the bleeding isn't so rapid that it just won't stop, and again, I can't know this either. But if she's stable, observing her while monitoring vital signs and re-checking her blood count is not unreasonable.

In addition to the transfusions, another option her doctors have is to MOVE her to a more closely monitored setting such as a step down unit, if the hospital has one, or ICU. That wouldn't solve the problem but she would be watched more closely, usually by nurses experienced in the case of patients who are either unstable or have the potential to become unstable, with more frequent checks of vital signs. Have you asked Dr. S or his colleague about this? Like maybe, pushed for it?

I am not a fan of this guy either, both because his attitude, at least at the start of this, seemed so cavalier and also from that thread on OH where he dissed bandsters for their failures and even for complications. I don't like the guy. But he MIGHT be doing the right thing at this point by observing your cousin, provided she is observed closely, that her vital signs remain stable, and that her blood count comes up appropriately with transfusions. And this is far better than taking her out of the hospital AMA, which would be dangerous at this point. She is very fortunate to have you and the rest of your family as advocates for her. It's very difficult to advocate for yourself when you aren't doing well. Hang in there with her! EN put it so well that you have your mother's DNA, and your own DNA is doing very well too.

Oh, and ask whether or not they have done tests to make sure your cousin clots normally. This means blood tests called PT, PTT and INR. Also that she has a normal platelet count, which is part of a routine CBC so surely that was done at some point. She didn't take any aspirin or NSAIDs within a week before her surgery, did she?[/quote]

Her platelets count is 171. Normal is 130-450

This is what happens when a real community embraces a member and has their back. This is but the first demonstration of how this community is going to grow and thrive.

And Charris - thank you for trusting that you could get help here, listening to the various suggestions, and keeping us out here in cyberspace informed of how you and your cousin were doing.

And tell her that when she gets well enough, she has a whole community already invested in her well being waiting to support her on her journey!

Charris, 171 platelet count is just fine.

Hgb and Hct are low, but should rise with the transfusions. It sounds like the new doc is on top of things. Great job with the patient advocate! Now don't forget to take care of yourself. If you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else either.

Yay!!! Finally a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sooooooooo glad to hear that these people realize you are not one to be screwed with and your cousin-in-law (Im going to keep calling her your cousin though because you have her back like she is blood family) is finally getting the quality care she deserves. I'm still steamed that Dr. Simpson let her suffer like he did and it had to take you going all warrior on everyone there to extract heads from asses. My opinion of course, but you sound like one hell of a badass :)

Yay!!! Finally a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sooooooooo glad to hear that these people realize you are not one to be screwed with and your cousin-in-law (Im going to keep calling her your cousin though because you have her back like she is blood family) is finally getting the quality care she deserves. I'm still steamed that Dr. Simpson let her suffer like he did and it had to take you going all warrior on everyone there to extract heads from asses. My opinion of course, but you sound like one hell of a badass :)

Paula,
I'm not really a badass. But I will drive someone crazy and worry someone to death about something im passionate about. I'm just glad she is getting help she needs. By any means necessary. it's usually peoples/children's rights stuff. This medical stuff is out of my legue bht I knew the people on this site would know what I should do.

And on top of all this, your first day back at work. Ayayayayayayay....

Do you even know how your day went? If not, I repeat my broken record to take care of yourself, especially drink drink drink drink because this is taking/has taken your reserves.
Cello
My first day back was great. It was very very slow day. So I was able to harass people on the phone between clients. I only had 2 bathroom issues. Lmao. Forgetting that the ds fart is known as the silent killer. Well I let one out in my office so quiet NO ONE WOULD NOTICE. WRONG so stinky thank goodness there was no one in there I also killed myself with Lysol. lmao. Then 2nd incident I had to go ran out office with lysol to bathroom mulitiple stalls. Seems everyone in the world need to go at the same time. I literally held the flusher for 7 minutes straight so it continually flushed as I sprayed Lysol. So it didn't stay smelly too long I guess cause it was literally being flushed as it came out.Oh lord.

I called a meeting with my 4 office partners immediately after. I was like look im trying to retrain my stomach when I say I have to go I have to go right then. Theres no waiting a minute or finishing with a client it means that second and its number 2 not 1. Lol they understood and agreed they wouldn't leave me alone to work until my bowels get truly trained. Lol

This is what happens when a real community embraces a member and has their back. This is but the first demonstration of how this community is going to grow and thrive.

And Charris - thank you for trusting that you could get help here, listening to the various suggestions, and keeping us out here in cyberspace informed of how you and your cousin were doing.

And tell her that when she gets well enough, she has a whole community already invested in her well being waiting to support her on her journey!

Yes I for sure have faith In the people on this site. Every time I got some new info I was getting on my tablet updating. Finally yesterday my cousin was like who the hell are you texting? I was like the people on the site so the can tell me what I need to do. I was like they know everything some of these people are the actual people who supplied information for dsfacts.com. she just looked at me like yea ok thinking I was crazy.lol

Her and her wife need well developed sites because they have no clue what their surgery consisted of or what the did to them or the expectations for postop. This cousin had the sleeve and the wife had the RNY and now wants a revision to the ds. Has lost almost 100 poubds eats whatever the hell she wants and cant figure out why she hasnt lost weight in months..... lord. I told her she cant get a DS she refuses to be med compliant she has taken maybe a weeks worth of a multi vite in her 6 months post surgery. I was like you will die. But she is dedicated to getting the DS. IM REFERRING her to dr K. I plan on going to their meeting so I can tell him SHE WILL NOT COMPLY with the requirements.

This is SUCH wonderful news! I am so happy to hear that things are looking up, and I wish you guys continued success. Charris, you've been such a trooper! With an advocate like you by her side, your cousin was in very good hands from the start in this situation.

And, it's so truly heartwarming to see the community support one of our own so diligently and consistently.
Like @Cello said, do take care of yourself too! That's very important, and I hope you'll have a great day at work.

I, too, am glad we could help. And, from now on, I'm pretty sure you will be one of the loudest advocates for using the list of vetted surgeons.

When you hang out on boards like this for years and years, you hear stories. And when you hear the same stories, about the same doctors, over and over, you get to the point that...in some cases...you know what the complications will be before the doctor in question even scrubs for surgery.

I'm so sorry you had you learn THIS WAY, but your cousin is likely in good hands, recovery is just around the corner and her life will be much better.

Sue

This cousin had the sleeve and the wife had the RNY and now wants a revision to the ds. Has lost almost 100 poubds eats whatever the hell she wants and cant figure out why she hasnt lost weight in months..... lord. I told her she cant get a DS she refuses to be med compliant she has taken maybe a weeks worth of a multi vite in her 6 months post surgery. I was like you will die. But she is dedicated to getting the DS. IM REFERRING her to dr K. I plan on going to their meeting so I can tell him SHE WILL NOT COMPLY with the requirements.

Definitely keep your cousin away from the DS until she grows up enough to act like a GROWNUP....pardon my redundancy. Where the FUCK has she been all this time for her wife fergawdsakes?

Definitely keep your cousin away from the DS until she grows up enough to act like a GROWNUP....pardon my redundancy. Where the FUCK has she been all this time for her wife fergawdsakes?

Sitting right next to her. They would tell her something and she would call to tell me to see what I was gonna do or if what they were saying was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin went home. She is doing much better. He gave her another transfusion because I complained that 8 was not good enough especially with her finally starting her cycle after 6 months of none. He said they don't give transfusions unless your score is 7 or under. But eventually he gave her another 2 units. She is very swollen but the black bruising is looking much better. If anything funny happens I told her go to a hospital that he has NO Privileges at. LOL

Thanks for all you guys help! You are awesome!

Latest posts

Back