leaving hospital Ama its BAD!

Something else...I can be a bit persistent with a VERY CALM voice which scares some people. I don't know what I'm doing...but my inclination would be to find the phone number for Abrazo's corporate legal office. I usually VERY SWEETLY ask for the name of the officer of their corporation empowered to receive summonses and subpoenas on behalf of the firm.

More times than not...I'm in. And I'm speaking with someone high enough up the food chain to answer questions such as...

"Can you help me with this? My sister's surgeon seems to have much lower expectations for her recovery than most people would and your Patient Liason's phones aren't even being answered. So, from my perspective, the hospital--by not answering phones--is not allowing my sister to exercise her rights...you know, the ones you have listed on your website. Further...we understand that her surgeon is the decision maker regarding her care...but we would like whatever assistance you can provide in finding someone who will shadow him and feel free to disagree. Even on simple thing like checking her vitals. Since she hasn't stopped bleeding since surgery...we want her vitals checked far more often than the q4h her surgeon has requested. People have bled to death in less than four hours, haven't they? How can you help us turn this potential disaster into at least a healthy resolution? Is there anything the hospital can do to be 'the good guy' and help my sister survive."

Or something like that.

Something else...I can be a bit persistent with a VERY CALM voice which scares some people. I don't know what I'm doing...but my inclination would be to find the phone number for Abrazo's corporate legal office. I usually VERY SWEETLY ask for the name of the officer of their corporation empowered to receive summonses and subpoenas on behalf of the firm.

More times than not...I'm in. And I'm speaking with someone high enough up the food chain to answer questions such as...

"Can you help me with this? My sister's surgeon seems to have much lower expectations for her recovery than most people would and your Patient Liason's phones aren't even being answered. So, from my perspective, the hospital--by not answering phones--is not allowing my sister to exercise her rights...you know, the ones you have listed on your website. Further...we understand that her surgeon is the decision maker regarding her care...but we would like whatever assistance you can provide in finding someone who will shadow him and feel free to disagree. Even on simple thing like checking her vitals. Since she hasn't stopped bleeding since surgery...we want her vitals checked far more often than the q4h her surgeon has requested. People have bled to death in less than four hours, haven't they? How can you help us turn this potential disaster into at least a healthy resolution? Is there anything the hospital can do to be 'the good guy' and help my sister survive."

Or something like that.

Do U mind if I use your exact words. LOL?

Clearly the situation is concerning. If it's any comfort (it probably won't be, but I'll try) surgical bleeds in the stomach often DO stop with time, thanks to the body's clotting mechanisms. This assumes that your cousin has normal clotting mechanisms, and of course I can't possibly know that one way or the other. It also assumes the bleeding isn't so rapid that it just won't stop, and again, I can't know this either. But if she's stable, observing her while monitoring vital signs and re-checking her blood count is not unreasonable.

In addition to the transfusions, another option her doctors have is to MOVE her to a more closely monitored setting such as a step down unit, if the hospital has one, or ICU. That wouldn't solve the problem but she would be watched more closely, usually by nurses experienced in the case of patients who are either unstable or have the potential to become unstable, with more frequent checks of vital signs. Have you asked Dr. S or his colleague about this? Like maybe, pushed for it?

I am not a fan of this guy either, both because his attitude, at least at the start of this, seemed so cavalier and also from that thread on OH where he dissed bandsters for their failures and even for complications. I don't like the guy. But he MIGHT be doing the right thing at this point by observing your cousin, provided she is observed closely, that her vital signs remain stable, and that her blood count comes up appropriately with transfusions. And this is far better than taking her out of the hospital AMA, which would be dangerous at this point. She is very fortunate to have you and the rest of your family as advocates for her. It's very difficult to advocate for yourself when you aren't doing well. Hang in there with her! EN put it so well that you have your mother's DNA, and your own DNA is doing very well too.

Oh, and ask whether or not they have done tests to make sure your cousin clots normally. This means blood tests called PT, PTT and INR. Also that she has a normal platelet count, which is part of a routine CBC so surely that was done at some point. She didn't take any aspirin or NSAIDs within a week before her surgery, did she?

Things are moving along. YIPPIE I got ahold to the patient advocate. She called the nursing director. Within 30 minutes the nursing director was in the room evaluating my cousin and the files. She called another bariatric doctor who is now I guess from what they said is going to do to the test where it something runs through you ad they can watch it on the monitor. Depending on what that says the other doctor will take her back to surgery.

I had to go off on my cousin. It was probably out of frustration but.... Everytime they ask her how she feels she says fine/ good. I told her stop saying that shit. I got really blunt and explained she WOULD DIE IF THEY DO NOT fix the bleeding. SHE WOULD GET SEPTIC AND DIE. sO I TOLD HER ALL THE WORK IM DOING TO HELP YOU TO LIVE AND YOU GIVE THEM SOME blanket ass answer. When I explained it to her she got it and realized she too should be worried and not down playing whats going on

You are awesome and if I ever have another surgery, I am flying you here to be with me! Keep us posted as you are able. It looks like things are finally looking up, care wise!

Things are moving along. YIPPIE I got ahold to the patient advocate. She called the nursing director. Within 30 minutes the nursing director was in the room evaluating my cousin and the files. She called another bariatric doctor who is now I guess from what they said is going to do to the test where it something runs through you ad they can watch it on the monitor. Depending on what that says the other doctor will take her back to surgery.

I had to go off on my cousin. It was probably out of frustration but.... Everytime they ask her how she feels she says fine/ good. I told her stop saying that shit. I got really blunt and explained she WOULD DIE IF THEY DO NOT fix the bleeding. SHE WOULD GET SEPTIC AND DIE. sO I TOLD HER ALL THE WORK IM DOING TO HELP YOU TO LIVE AND YOU GIVE THEM SOME blanket ass answer. When I explained it to her she got it and realized she too should be worried and not down playing whats going on

I go through this with my DH all the time. The other night. We were both in pain...old people stuff. He uncharacteristically sniped, "You're not the only one here who is hurting." Next day, we're at his Pain Mgmt doctor dealing with his bad back. Medical Assistant asks, "Have you had any joint pain in the past week?" He says, "No."

"Then why the hell," I ask, "are we even HERE?"

Makes no sense to me.

I'm glad your cousin is catching on.

All I keep thinking is just how important it is to pick the best surgeon available. I understand complications can happen with any surgeon but there is damn sure a difference in the way they respond to them. So sorry your cousin is dealing with this but so happy she has you in her corner . Praying that she receives the medical care she needs.

MsVee

Charris,

Hang in there. Your strength and vigilance are your cousin's lifeline. I hope the bleeding stops soon and that her condition improves rapidly. Please keep us posted. We are worried too. So sorry she is going through this. Thank goodness she has you by her side.

If you have a leak inside slow or fast how is putting more substance in to leak out going to stop the leak? in my mind that just means she will have more to leak out like the other did?? He is making it seem like a fix a flat type fix he said to avoid going back in. They will check her counts every 4 hours and if she is still loosing go back in. Please help me understand if that is an appropriate option to this leak..

Okay. FINALLY something that makes sense. Yes, it does. What they're doing is FINALLY PAYING SOME FUCKING ATTENTION. They are now watching MAYBE closely enough to see what the fuck is going on. The concept is to give her body a bit of time to fix itself. Bodies are good at doing that when they can :). Going back in is not a wonderful thing, especially in a weakened state. So a bit of more conservative treatment (the transfusion/s etc.) is appropriate before flying back into surgery, IF her condition does not deteriorate.

@Charris Listen, keep calm and get her out of there. There is a way. You have great power as her advocate. The link I posted above for patient rights has a number for a "patient representative" @ Maryvale. Call it. See if there is a nurse advocate available at that number. Call all over the Medicaid offices until you find someone with a brain and a heart to help. Call the Attorney General's office: https://www.azag.gov/complaints

I am a caregiver for a family member with significant health issues and hear "no" all of the time. I stopped listening a long time ago, because there is always someone with a heart somewhere who can help find a back door. You just have to find them. Play whatever card you have to. It's a PITA to make a million phone calls, but someone out there has the information you need.

Now go kick some $$$.
WAHOOO RIDE 'EM COWBOY!

EXCELLENT EVEN BETTER. Sorry I've just replied all in a line when I could have edited one reply, I'm going through quickly. The transfusion made sense. The scan is another important piece. Keep ProteinSnob's info in your pocket and STAY BALLISTIC, but CALM. Your cousin was saying "fine" because she is not in her right mind. You must continue to run interference, because she's not going to be in her right mind for quite some time.

Pardon my wondering aloud, WHERE THE FUCK IS HER WIFE IN ALL OF THIS?! Makes me worried that the wife is not capable of running interference.

I'm going nuts wishing I were close enough to come help be mama bear on the hunt. *sitting on hands here*

Ok GOOD NEWS, The charge nurse got everything in order. Simpson is the doctor but Dr. Morales has basically taken over. Now Simpson has been in her 5 times today. Dr. Morales comes in every hour. They did the scan and she has stopped bleeding. You would think she was the president. Her nurse is the charge nurse! She is as we speak getting 2 units of blood. White count is going down but still high 12.3 down from 17. Rbc is 2.35, hgbis 7.8 , hct is high 23.1, mch is high 33.4.

@Larra no, no insaids she is allergic to insaids.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR WALKING ME THROUGH THIS. SHE'S GOING TO MAKE IT BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS, the entire environment and level of care changed when I call the advocate and spoke with the director and stole Spiky Bugger's verbage. Even the urgency changed.

EN yes her wifey is here but very passive. She had her surgery, RNY, 6 months ago in Vegas. To me honestly she didn't seem invested enough to me either. Her wifey is my actual blood 1st cousin. The sick cousin is my in law. They got married in Canada 10 years ago. But I feel responsible because they started wanting WLS after I had my rny in 2000. Then when I told them I was doing it again that's when they started to pursue it also. plus I didn't have anyone to advocate for me when I was scared and knew I was dying with my revision so I know how it feels to have that feeling that no one cares.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME I CAN NEVER THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR WALKING ME THROUGH THIS STEP BY STEP. I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

I am so glad to hear that you got them to pay attention. It was pretty scary there for a bit. She is fortunate to have you in her corner!

All I keep thinking is just how important it is to pick the best surgeon available. I understand complications can happen with any surgeon but there is damn sure a difference in the way they respond to them. So sorry your cousin is dealing with this but so happy she has you in her corner . Praying that she receives the medical care she needs.

MsVee

MsVee you are so right about surgeons.

En is this one of the cases where I have 1st hand knowledge about Dr X and could do a dr review. I know there was some different opinions as to if you should or should not if he was not your actual surgeon? because I have a word to say once this is all done.

And on top of all this, your first day back at work. Ayayayayayayay....

Do you even know how your day went? If not, I repeat my broken record to take care of yourself, especially drink drink drink drink because this is taking/has taken your reserves.

Latest posts

Back