Ideas for a warm winter's healthy desk drink?

It might have been me, @Susan in Tennessee. Crystal Light has more than double the potassium citrate than a single tablet of Uricit at a fraction of the cost. It's a viable option to keep your citrate levels up to prevent the formation of kidney stones. (Unfortunately doesn;t do anything for ones already formed, like the 4mm that is sitting silently mid pole in my left kidney waiting to erupt when most inconvenient, like when I leave for Europe next week.)

I made a gallon at a time...usually took about 6 lemons (one I cut half of it into slices and added it to the container)
The other perk to this is the citrate in the real lemons help if you are a calcium / oxalate kidney stone former, which many of us are.

It might have been me, @Susan in Tennessee. Crystal Light has more than double the potassium citrate than a single tablet of Uricit at a fraction of the cost. It's a viable option to keep your citrate levels up to prevent the formation of kidney stones. (Unfortunately doesn;t do anything for ones already formed, like the 4mm that is sitting silently mid pole in my left kidney waiting to erupt when most inconvenient, like when I leave for Europe next week.)
Hadn't read this when I replied to Liz, but the citrate is attractive to us stone formers.

I will mention that I take a ton of urocit-k, and do think it has made my stones friable. While not able to dissolve them, enough citrate it does make a difference when they can break into smaller bits and come out as tiny bits instead of shards.

I get citrate in anything I can, because the urocit-k is expensive, even with a prescription.

Look at this @bearmom http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/price-of-potassium-citrate/

If it were me, I'd skip the pricey Urocit and drink crystal light lemonade!
if it were enough for me (and I'm sure it IS enough for some) that would be a better solution. Unfortunately, I can't consume enough without the urocit-k. I made calcium oxalate stones before my DS (likely genetic in my family) and it was worsened by my DS. I take more urocit-k than any other stone formers I know in the kidney stone groups.

Sometimes I just drop a bouillon cube in hot water in lieu of tea or coffee. I find it soothing and have low blood pressure so welcome the salt...

If you like coffee, but want less acid, how about Postum?

I don't think they make it anymore - I know because I used to drink it. wait, now a google shows "it's back!" so I could get it again!

from wikipedia:
Kraft discontinued production of Postum in 2007.[6][7][8][10] In May 2012, Kraft licensed the Postum trademark to Eliza’s Quest Food, with Postum sold through the Postum.com website.[11] As of January 2013, Eliza's Quest Food succeeded in returning Postum to a limited number of stores, primarily in Utah and other Mountain States.[12]

I don't think they make it anymore - I know because I used to drink it. wait, now a google shows "it's back!" so I could get it again!

from wikipedia:
Kraft discontinued production of Postum in 2007.[6][7][8][10] In May 2012, Kraft licensed the Postum trademark to Eliza’s Quest Food, with Postum sold through the Postum.com website.[11] As of January 2013, Eliza's Quest Food succeeded in returning Postum to a limited number of stores, primarily in Utah and other Mountain States.[12]

There is another brand -- Pero instant natural beverage available for about $6-7 for a 100/serving cannister.

Latest posts

Back