Checking In.

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all!
I just wanted to say hello! I have been keeping to myself a lot since my surgery, but I kindof miss y'all!
I was swtiched on the 1st of June, and I've had a hard time since then. Nothing I can't handle, but it's definitely been a challenge. For the whole first week, I couldn't hold down any protein. At all. I threw up every ounce I drank. I tried all the different brands and different protein sources. Nada. After the first week, I was able to hold down one protein drink per day. I was still being active, and doing most of my daily life stuff, just on about 200 calories a day. I was starving the whole time. The NUT told me to eat eggs and cottage cheese and yogurt. Had my 3 week checkup yesterday. They said to go ahead and try other soft foods. Lately, I'm nauseous all of the time. I haven't been coming online, because I don't want to bitch and moan, or ask the same questions that I've read the answers to archiving back to the very beginnings of this site. I know I just have to wait it out, and eventually, it will get better and better.
I just wanted to touch base, because I always hate it when my friends only talk to me when they need something, and I don't want to be that guy!
Hope y'all are doing well!

I don't know how you do it - are you working through all of this? How can you get through the day on 200 calories! Do you tolerate the soft foods better than the protein shakes? *sending my best wishes to you and your digestive system*

@GenJones No Ma'am, I haven't been working. I'm a chef, and I run restaurants, but we're fairly new to this area, so I cater occasionally, but haven't gotten back to full time work yet. I have to sit and catch my breath a few times, but I just push. There's been a couple times when my legs tried to give out, or I felt like I was goi ND ro pass out, but I just sat and rested and drank fluids until I felt better. When I eat, so etudes I feel awesome, and sometimes I have to sit really still for an hour so I don't vomit. LoL.
@Spiky Bugger Miss Sue told me that for the first 3 months, she felt like this was the worst decision of her life, and then it started getting better. That has really helped me, knowing that what I'm going through is normal, and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It'll keep getting better.

Sorry you had a rocky start. Are you on a PPI?
They just put me on one yesterday. I had never had heartburn or acid reflux a day in my life before surgery. When I started soft foods, relux and heartburn started. I feel so bad for people that have dealt with this their whole lives. It's Awful! Miserable! Torture! I started taking the prescription yesterday, and while my symptoms are still present, it's better. Hoping the more I take the meds, the better it'll get.

They just put me on one yesterday. I had never had heartburn or acid reflux a day in my life before surgery. When I started soft foods, relux and heartburn started. I feel so bad for people that have dealt with this their whole lives. It's Awful! Miserable! Torture! I started taking the prescription yesterday, and while my symptoms are still present, it's better. Hoping the more I take the meds, the better it'll get.
Make sure you take it properly per instructions. And if it stops helping, ask for a stronger dose or a different one.

So it's time to change things up. When all the RIGHT things don't work try some of the wrong things. Try some ice cream. Or mashed potatoes. Find something that goes down well and stays down. Nausea begets more nausea so find something that works. Do it for a few days to break the cycle!

Sorry you have had a rough time. I found the first few weeks pretty hard. My Doc had me on https://www.unjury.com/ for two weeks. It stayed down. Nothing else really did. And no other protein drink worked.

Ice cream might work though. Eggs, yogart, etc....all that stuff took me a month.

Being 10 months out and down 115 pounds, just know, it's worth it.

Try different soft foods, hopefully something will work. Don't worry about protein, just find something that works. And ditto to the advice about about the PPI.

I have no real advice, but I can commiserate. I was nauseous for 6 weeks, all day, every day. I tried protein drinks, soft foods, liquids and solids. I ate or drank more, less, hot and cold. Nothing but time and multiple prescription anti-nausea meds helped.

It went away one day. Suddenly I felt somewhat human. I could eat/drink enough calories to not feel weak and dizzy. I went back to work tired but healthy. Since that day I have had only 2 iffy days in 2 months.

I hope time brings you the same relief it finally brought to me.

Cheers,
Mermaid.

PS. I also didn't come online because I didn't want to be the negative downer of the group. I wish I had. You are awesome for getting back here so much sooner than I did!

PS. I also didn't come online because I didn't want to be the negative downer of the group. I wish I had. You are awesome for getting back here so much sooner than I did!

We all went through it. It's really hard. We have so many Vets here that demonstrate how awesome the DS is, but recovery for me was horrible. The first few weeks were hard. But it was 7 months before I adjusted to everything and recovered. I still struggle a little bit some days with food, but would not trade this for the world.

Thank you all so much. @Mermaid, that's exactly how I felt... Everyone is so positive, and I didn't want to be the one asshole that couldn't cut it. That's not my style.
Y'all are so damn supportive, and I genuinely appreciate all of you. Thanks for encouraging me to feel less sucky.

Sorry it has been so rough. Not sure if this is a bad idea, but have you tried ginger? Eating small bites got me through past nausea better than anything else.

Latest posts

Back