I know I can't be the only one...

Mystrys

Walk in Beauty,Walk in Integrity
My DS surgery date was 4/24/2016 so I'm 7+ months out. At thi point I have gone from 243 SW to 188, that was my 49% mark and since September I haven't lost a single pound. :cry:

I've tried cutting back to almost 0 carbs. I've tried increasing my carbs. I've tried increasing my calories....and decreasing them again. But the scale will not budge!
I've read here about stalls. I've read about the carb pitfalls. The only thing I can think of is to go back to liquids and the 800 calorie pre-op diet. I will say I am not feeling that great and have no energy by the time I get off work. I have no real exercise regimen anymore and I wonder if that isn't going to be my sticking point.
I know others have felt like they broke their DS somehow....I had hopes I wouldn't be one of them.
I'm at a loss to be very honest.

#1-you have lost an average of what...almost 2#/wk for seven months;
#2--and your body is taking a time out;
#3--you are losing your mind because you have "failed" in the past;
#4--so certainly, you are "failing" again.
#5--STOP!

It COULD BE, not likely but could be, that your body HAS found a way to compensate for the massive insult it has suffered and you will never lose another pound. (Would that really be the end of the world? Granted, it isn't what you are seeking, but it is 55 damned pounds lighter!)

Or, you could go on 800 calories in some insane attempt to reach some magic number on the scale...insane being the operative word.

You are 55 pounds healthier. Your body is PROBABLY hanging on to every calorie because your brain thinks were in a famine. Used to be, we'd tell people to go eat a Krispy Kreme...or two. And relax.

Krispy Kreme or not...do relax.

I understand! It sucks to have the best WLS out there and still end up fat. There are some of us who will never be thin. Never. No matter what. All you can do is do the best you can. One thing I can almost promise you is if you go back to the 800 cal diet, and get to thin, the only way you will ever maintain that loss is to stay on that diet for the rest of your life.

I tend to think about this a lot. One positive way to look at it is simply how much would you weigh today if you had done nothing?

Wait a while and see what happens. Spiky may well be right and you will start losing again.

I am 7 months out too. I had about 2 months where I lost no weight. I was freaked out but then I started losing again. I think you just need to ride this out.

I know you guys are right. I'm about 43 pounds away from where I'd like to be. I am not one of those people that wants to weight 110 pounds AT ALL! It wouldn't look right on me and I'm just not that person. I will say that my biggest disappointmet would lie in undergoing THE MOST DRASTIC surgery,with a lifetime of possible uncertain nutritional issues, just to fail at getting there.
*Oh YEA...AND I've lost 2/3 of my hair to boot!!!
Now, that being said, I am no longer on any HBP meds, no insulin or diabetes meds and as far as I know, my high triglycerides are finally under control. That is a really big deal. I had lost 130# on my own but after keeping 90 of it off for 5 years, my glucose and triglycerides were all creeping back up to almost insulin required levels again. SO...that's the silver lining I've spent the last 3 months trying to focus on so I wouldn't feel so horrible.
I guess maybe I'm just whining and venting some. I don't know. I just don't feel that great and have no energy. I keep feeling like wtf did I do this for if I'm just going to be stuck here forever and never reach MY GOAL? As I write these posts I'm beginning to realize I might be a bit depressed. May be time to talk to my therapist.

Thanks for listening folks. I don't really have anyone who understands and the New Life FB community, in my opinion is useless.(not trying to insult anyone there at all. They are just ALL ABOUT ONLY the positives. That's just not real life!)

Last edited:
I stalled for 10 weeks about 9 months out. I Freaked out a bit I'm not gonna lie. I knew I was the one who would not get to "goal" I revised from RNY. So it would be me. But it wasn't I lost until I was almost under weight. I have since gained back to 130. I just let my body do what it wanted to do.

Try to relax.
Whit

You could be done losing, but I am 95% you are not and that you will lose the rest of your weight. It is natural to worry but you will be fine.

@Mystrys - 7 months is early and you will keep losing until about 18-24 months. You're doing really well!!!! :) Best wishes. Great things will happen.

When I hit a stall, I would change things up day to day to keep my body not thinking it was on a fixed diet - some high, some low carb days mixed together was what worked for me.

I don't know if you would consider this promising or not, but I am 13 years out and currently at my LOWEST post-op weight.
Actually, Diana, that DOES make me feel better. It shows that there is real world, long term,positive effects of my choice to go with the DS. I really wanted to be rid of my co-morbidities. I want to know that later on down the road, I can still expect relatively good control of all my issues.

I also stopped losing at about 9 months out (3 months ago). While I'm great on the exercise (walk 20 miles/week), I have been very bad on the carbs. I'm dissapointed because, if I'm being honest, I got the DS because I came to the conclusion that I was not capable of staying on a diet for the rest of my life. Now it appears I may need to if I want to lose the rest of the weight. I don't care how bad it sounds: I don't want to be held responsible for what I eat because my compulsion is so much fiercer than a normie's.

On the plus side, you're still early. I've read of your situation a lot and most seem to lose more weight later. I imagine that's not very comforting to you right now and that you probably feel you won't be one of them, but, the data says otherwise.

Hang in there....

M

I also stopped losing at about 9 months out (3 months ago). While I'm great on the exercise (walk 20 miles/week), I have been very bad on the carbs. I'm dissapointed because, if I'm being honest, I got the DS because I came to the conclusion that I was not capable of staying on a diet for the rest of my life. Now it appears I may need to if I want to lose the rest of the weight. I don't care how bad it sounds: I don't want to be held responsible for what I eat because my compulsion is so much fiercer than a normie's.

On the plus side, you're still early. I've read of your situation a lot and most seem to lose more weight later. I imagine that's not very comforting to you right now and that you probably feel you won't be one of them, but, the data says otherwise.

Hang in there....

M

But....sometimes we beat it and sometimes we don't. I visited my surgeon a few months ago (11 years post-op) and he casually made reference to a my 20# weight gain. I cleverly said, " "Huh?" And he turned my chart around, looked again and said, "Well...upside down it's a 20# gain...right side up, you've lost 20# since your last visit." (That visit was two or three years ago. No big effort to diet or eat carefully. It's just that SOMETIMES I decide that I will eat the carbs right after I eat a steak. And the protein intake helps with carb cravings.)

Thanks @hilary1617. Maybe mixing it up a bit will help. I kind of tend to be a mono-eater now. Just easier to log in my busy days if I don't veer to far from a regular menu.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's much appreciated.
And just for the record, if Boyce's office is suggesting my carbs be at 60g....would you all advise that to be NET or TOTAL carbs? I only ask because I know they say it should be total. I have done a strict Ketogenic diet in the past at a total of 25g a day and found I did well enugh in all areas except the bowels! Yes, high fat helps. But having no fiber after the surgery seems to cause me a great deal of major, painful constipation issues. I'm between 70-100g with fiber ranging in the 40-50g. That with at least 100 g fat and my 3 Colace a day have me right where I'm comfortable. But this brings to mind, again, that the carb count is possibly my issue.

Latest posts

Back