I know I can't be the only one...

Thanks @hilary1617. Maybe mixing it up a bit will help. I kind of tend to be a mono-eater now. Just easier to log in my busy days if I don't veer to far from a regular menu.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's much appreciated.
And just for the record, if Boyce's office is suggesting my carbs be at 60g....would you all advise that to be NET or TOTAL carbs? I only ask because I know they say it should be total. I have done a strict Ketogenic diet in the past at a total of 25g a day and found I did well enugh in all areas except the bowels! Yes, high fat helps. But having no fiber after the surgery seems to cause me a great deal of major, painful constipation issues. I'm between 70-100g with fiber ranging in the 40-50g. That with at least 100 g fat and my 3 Colace a day have me right where I'm comfortable. But this brings to mind, again, that the carb count is possibly my issue.
I always count total but fiber, while not digestible, does affect my blood sugar.
Now, with that said, during weight loss I kept my carbs between 70-100 (30 plus were dairy related carbs). In maintenance, I keep mine between 100-150.

I always count total but fiber, while not digestible, does affect my blood sugar.
Now, with that said, during weight loss I kept my carbs between 70-100 (30 plus were dairy related carbs). In maintenance, I keep mine between 100-150.

How is it that so many of you seem so good about staying on a low carb diet? If I could have maintained a low-carb diet I might not have needed the DS in the first place.

I am not that good at it - but I DO try to eat protein first, most of the time.

I'm just not eating enough ANYTHING these days, due to lack of appetite or something. So I'm losing weight, but more muscle than fat.

(But I'm trying, and I started exercising this week - swimming and bike riding, a little.)

Thank you, Ladies. I will try that. But I have to say, I can really pack it down, even after having the excessive fundus removed from my previous sleeve (one year ago yesterday - yay!). Relatable examples of what I can eat at once: 1/3 pound cheeseburger, 2/3 of a Chipotle burrito OR 3/4 of a Subway footlong. Then, if I just wait 15 minutes, I can eat about half that amount more. I also tend to eat at least every two hours. I hope I haven't stretched my sleeve again or that it wasn't still left too big after the last surgery. Dr. said it was removed to the Angle of His.

Last edited:
Thank you, Ladies. I will try that. But I have to say, I can really pack it down, even after having the excessive fundus removed from my previous sleeve (one year ago yesterday - yay!). Relatable examples of what I can eat at once: 1/3 pound cheeseburger, 2/3 of a Chipotle burrito, 3/4 of a Subway footlong. Then, if I just wait 15 minutes, I can eat about half that amount more. I also tend to eat at least every two hours. I hope I haven't stretched my sleeve again or that it wasn't still left too big after the last surgery. Dr. said it was removed to the Angle of His.

I can't eat that much, but there are a lot of carbs in all of those things. For example, have you tried having a salad from Chipolte as oppose to burrito? I would defer to others, but my understanding is that you really do need to watch your carbs. I know it's hard, I don't have a great solution.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you, Ladies. I will try that. But I have to say, I can really pack it down, even after having the excessive fundus removed from my previous sleeve (one year ago yesterday - yay!). Relatable examples of what I can eat at once: 1/3 pound cheeseburger, 2/3 of a Chipotle burrito, 3/4 of a Subway footlong. Then, if I just wait 15 minutes, I can eat about half that amount more. I also tend to eat at least every two hours. I hope I haven't stretched my sleeve again or that it wasn't still left too big after the last surgery. Dr. said it was removed to the Angle of His.
Just to clarify, Mark, you are talking of eating one of these examples not all three at once, right?

Eat a ribeye steak. Or a couple of pork chops. Or, get two cheeseburgers, protein style...no bun...they wrap it in lettuce.

Take most of the carbs off those examples (remove most of the bun/wrapper). Then put the food away, and don't eat the rest of it for an hour or two, rather than allowing yourself to eat more in 15 minutes. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should - you are NOT actually hungry 15 minutes after eating 3/4 of a footlong sub.

If you're hungry and have eaten enough protein first, I'd go with some better for you carbs than bread/wrappers. I'd eat egg potato salad instead, for example.

Take most of the carbs off those examples (remove most of the bun/wrapper). Then put the food away, and don't eat the rest of it for an hour or two, rather than allowing yourself to eat more in 15 minutes. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should - you are NOT actually hungry 15 minutes after eating 3/4 of a footlong sub.

If you're hungry and have eaten enough protein first, I'd go with some better for you carbs than bread/wrappers. I'd eat egg potato salad instead, for example.

Those were just examples of what I CAN do, not what I usually do do. Don't do Chipotle or Subway much, but I needed something that people could identify for comparison's sake. My big problem is actually the sugars and too much Diet Soda, which doesn't have any calories but seems to provoke the desire to consume them (amongst God only knows what other ill effects).

Mark, you are much further along with me on this journey, but ugh Sugar, that is my down fall on this new body. I have a bigger sweet tooth. I think you just need to suck it up on sugars. When I talked to the the guy I did a fast (like optifast) with twice and lost 120 pounds with what he said about the DS to me is it's a tool. What it will let you do is allow you to follow all the techniques we have taught you over the years. So, what I talked about with him is the following.

(1) Keep sweets out of the house to control access.
(2) I do have ice cream almost every day, but i order the kids size. I do get high calorie ice cream - stone cold creamery, ben and jerry's etc. But, I only have it out and I only get the kids size.
(3) If I eat chocolate, I get a small piece.

I stay away from cookies, cakes, etc. These are old diet tricks.

Not sure that will help, but it's really just keeping the portion size way down and avoiding it.

I drink a lot of ice tea and avoid diet sodas. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back