I am officially one of you!!

I'd ask why he made the limbs so unconventionally long. And whether he measured your entire small bowel. Who was your surgeon anyway?

Your pyloric valve is intact, but that would be true with either DS or SADI. That and the sleeve gastrectomy are elements that both operations have in common. The big question is did he do a RNY configuration with your small intestine, which means dividing the small bowel and making 2 anastomoses (one of ileum to duodenum, the other of ileum to ileum) OR did he do a loop connection of the small bowel to the duodenum, which is what a SADI involves, and that would be the only anastomosis.
I'm sure that no matter what wording you use, your surgeon does know the difference between a DS and a SADI (aka SIPS, aka loop DS) and should be able to tell you which he did.

Larra said it....that is the big one then if he did do the DS I would ask ask what the lengths of you CC, AL and BPL are.

Well when I had talked to him he said that he wants to do 200 centimeter common channel because I'm a lightweight and he's concerned about malnutrition I asked him if he could do shorter, he said we'll see when I get in there

Thank you guys for all your help I'm going to write down some of this stuff so I can ask him when I see him.

And it was Dr TEXIXARA
With Lenox hill hospital in NYC

Well when I had talked to him he said that he wants to do 200 centimeter common channel because I'm a lightweight and he's concerned about malnutrition I asked him if he could do shorter, he said we'll see when I get in there
I would have asked him if he was going to pay for the revision to shorten your channels if you don't lose enough weight. That being said, without knowing the length of your BPL I really don't know how he could get your channel lengths set for optimal weight loss/maintenance. It will be interesting to hear what he tells you about all our lengths.

I'm a lightweight too...my surgeon said either 175 or 200. The day of surgery, I made him agree to 175. I have been very happy with mine.

I would have asked him if he was going to pay for the revision to shorten your channels if you don't lose enough weight. That being said, without knowing the length of your BPL I really don't know how he could get your channel lengths set for optimal weight loss/maintenance. It will be interesting to hear what he tells you about all our lengths.
Scott, some of us with longer common channels do very well. Mine was not done Hess method but it seems to be working just fine for me.

I'm a lightweight too...my surgeon said either 175 or 200. The day of surgery, I made him agree to 175. I have been very happy with mine.

Scott, some of us with longer common channels do very well. Mine was not done Hess method but it seems to be working just fine for me.
Liz, I do understand that some with longer channels can and some do very well. The same for some with shorter channels. I know I am preachy about this but I see absolutely no reason that the DS is allowed to be performed without measuring the SB and making the decision on channels based off that measurement.....that way the Dr and patient will know that the DS was performed to the best of their ability. A longer channel very well may be the right thing to do, but all information should be known.

BTW, it would be interesting if we had some statistics about stabilized weight/BMI of lightweights vs middleweights vs heavyweights correlated to the channel lengths....all limbs not just the CC. As you know I am a believer in the AL cm + CC cm = BPL cm provides optimal end weight. It is my completely unscientificly backed up hypothesis that if that configuration is done, regardless of starting weight, that the body will come into equilibrium and maintain at a healthy weight assuming relatively proper diet is followed. It sure would be nice if we had a study looking at this very easily gatherable data. To me it is a travesty that there are so many DS patients out there and this simple type study hasn't been done.

BTW, is there a rough definition of what constitutes a lightweight? Compared to some I was a "lightweight" at 6'2 roughly 350 but I would not call that I lighweight. I know you weighed much less...thinking around 200?

BTW, is there a rough definition of what constitutes a lightweight? Compared to some I was a "lightweight" at 6'2 roughly 350 but I would not call that I lighweight. I know you weighed much less...thinking around 200?
VERY rough definition: Someone who is under a 45 BMI or has less than 150 excess lbs. MOST of us have to have a comorbid to even have WLS.

At 6'2", your starting BMI put you in the lightweight category. And yes, I was much closer to 200. In fact, the day of surgery (even after being told not to lose a single lb and eating everything in site until the night before surgery, I STILL lost 3 lbs and pushed myself to 199 the day of surgery).

@Kittykatkris I want to refer you to the thread @Marquis Mark posted, where he posted his operative report. Of course it would never be identical to yours because he had a revision from sleeve to DS, different surgeon, etc, but this report has the kind of precision and detail that I expect to see in an operative report. the surgeon goes over every detail, every type of suture and stapler, and even a lot of his decision making process. If you couldn't see how inadequate your surgeon's report is, I mean we can't even figure out what operation he did let alone how he did it, well...
Surgeons are required to dictate an operative report for every operation. If they don't, someone from medical records gets after them. But I've never seen any hospital rules as to the quality of the operative report.

VERY rough definition: Someone who is under a 45 BMI or has less than 150 excess lbs. MOST of us have to have a comorbid to even have WLS.

At 6'2", your starting BMI put you in the lightweight category. And yes, I was much closer to 200. In fact, the day of surgery (even after being told not to lose a single lb and eating everything in site until the night before surgery, I STILL lost 3 lbs and pushed myself to 199 the day of surgery).
Thanks Liz

I list my weight at the beginning as 361 and BMI of 46.3 because I was 350 - 360 for most of the prior 6-12 months and it wasn't actually getting any better as my A1C was sky rocketing and insulin resistance was causing me to balloon. Due to the 5 day clear liquid diet I was actually and artificial 338 or BMI of 43.4 the day of surgery, so I was technically a light weight.

The lightweight subject is interesting to me because Dr K would tell you that BMI/weight should not indicate channel lengths, but instead height (and subsequently total small bowel length) should be the main indicator of channel lengths. I am not saying your channel lengths are incorrect because they are obviously working for you, Dr k would just say that determining those lengths would be correlated to height and not BMI. In this presentation he actually shows that it was Scientifically proven by a researcher that small bowel length is not correlated to BMI (fat people do not have bigger small intestines).

This is the presentation and it is towards the end where he discusses this point. (BTW, I don't mean to hijack this thread so if you want to move this discussion to another thread please do so).

http://blog.dssurgery.com/2014/11/november-5-group-meeting-and-webinar.html

Well i was 240 when i started the whole 6 month insurance dance. I was 231 day of surgery. And 3 weeks out i am 214.
Im 5'5".
It seems to be working for right now. But that could be cause im barely eating.
I just can't eat the thought of almost everything going in my mouth sounds so unappetizing.

I also wanted to ask i know we don't absorb that much fat and have read you know you ate too much fat when it looks like an oil slick. Basically my poop has looked like ive been taking Ali pills. But the weirdest thing is that i haven't even being eating that much never mind anything high in fat.
What could this be?

Well I have no idea what Ali looking poop would look like, but your stools are going to be on the loose side early on because you aren't eating any solids.

Poop will look weird for the first few weeks, and every poop will be different from the last as your body adjusts. Mine were sort of tar-like -- and several days apart.

Latest posts

Back