How does one fail/ break their surgery?

@robs477 , you may not be getting enough carbs and that may be putting you in a starvation / retention mode. Step up the carbs a bit for two days and see what happens... It may kickstart your metabolism. Some people need a bit more to lose.

Also why do you think this isn't a stall? This is a pretty common point in the timeline for a stall.

Do they ever do DS to DS revisions?

We know that not all surgeons have equal results and we know bodies are all different. It seems like a re-sleeve and channel shorting surgery wouldn't be a HUGE deal and would work to drop the rest of the weight.

On the other hand, they say that people with BMI's between 25 and 35 live the longest, so although getting skinny might be satisfying, it probably isn't that healthy for you.
Yes, they do!

OMG, OMG, OMG. When I saw your post about who lives longer, I couldn't remember my BMI. I went out to the NIH and calculated. 151.xx at 5'6" this morning. I'm NORMAL!!!! OMG. Now if my personality made it there, I'd totally fit in LOL
Wish I could like this more than once...CONGRATS on losing all your excess!!!

This is going to be a book. Just fair warning. Lol

My metabolism wasn't broken when I had the sleeve back in 2010. That came after.

I got so fat by being more and more sedentary as my back issues got worse and being a volume eater...I was miss piggy. I loved food and he'll I couldn't do much else so I ate!

The weight came off super easy and fast after my sleeve. It was awesome. I totally changed the way I ate, what I ate, and obviously how much I ate. My body was shocked by the change and the weight just melted off.

I was working out with a personal trainer 3x/week to strengthen my core thinking that would help my back issues. Well that caused my problem disc to actually blow out and required surgery to fix it. Things were great for a while after that...I had NO pain and I could do more and I was still losing a bit.

A few months later I was asked by my good friend and the owner and founder of my company who was dying of cancer to take care of him in his last months and have medical power of atty and to make all of his end of life decisions. I was incredibly honored and it was a request I would never and could never have refused. A week before that my x husband and I decided to get divorced so I was dealing with that as well. That started about 4 months of very trying times. After several weeks in the hospital he decided no more doctors and he wanted to die in his home in Florida. So off to Florida we went where I stayed with him until he passed about 2 months later. That's a very long story, but there were people in the picture with ulterior motives and I couldn't leave him alone ever. That left me little options for food and eating decently. Plus with all the stress and volatility I didn't have much of an appetite. This was the fall of 2011.

This started my year of being sick. In January of 2012 I woke up one morning and after a little bit I started to feel really funny. My parents were visiting and I told them I needed to go lay down for a bit. I ended up passing out three times back to back. They took me to the ER and they ran a few tests and did some bloodwork and said everything was good...they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I specifically asked them if they had checked my iron, because I suspected I was anemic. They said they did and it was all normal. I had intended to go in a few days and get copies of everything from the hospital but I never did for some reason. As time went on, I never fainted or felt like that again, but I was feeling worse and worse. I was freezing all the time...like bad freezing, from the inside out. I had no energy, I couldn't sleep, I had terrible symptoms of RLS, and I had no appetite. I lived off of sonic ice, coffee, and pistachios for the most part. Oh every once in a while, I'd cook something or we'd go out to eat, but there would be days where all i would have were those 3 things. In the midst of this, my back started giving me problems again. I had pretty much contributed the way I was feeling to a reaction or response to everything that had happened with John.

I never saw a doctor during that year but I was having some female issues so that winter I saw my gyn. My uterus was prolapsed and he said I needed a hysterectomy. It wasn't urgent so he said to call him when I was ready to schedule it. In January I had two very very heavy periods..like hemorrhaging heavy. I went to see him again and he said ok let's schedule the surgery now. In the pre-op bloodwork for that surgery it was discovered that I was severely anemic. Out of curiosity, I went to the hospital and got my records from the year before. Bloodwork showed my h&h were low and they ran no iron tests. Had I gone and got the results right after the fainting episode I would have known what the problem was and could have saved myself a year of misery. I lost so much of that year...it's foggy and there are lots of things I don't remember.

After the hysterectomy, I was feeling even worse. Went back to my gyn and said something isn't right. I just feel BAD. he asked me if I needed pain meds...NO...I wasn't in pain, I just don't feel good! He finally said maybe your hormones are out of whack, let's draw some blood. I had asked him when I went in for the surgery if he was going to give me blood or iron and he said he didn't think it was necessary that since I wasn't going to be bleeding anymore, my levels should come up on their own fairly quickly. Well, we got the results back of the bloodwork and my levels had dropped even further. They said I was about 5 pints of blood short. He sent me to a hematologist. I had a 6 hour iron infusion and exactly 2 weeks later, I woke up and felt like a new person. I haven't eaten ice or a pistachio since!

Now that I was back to my old self and had an appetite again, I started eating regularly and on plan for my sleeve. I always stayed very carb conscious, but I did occasionally have stuff I shouldn't have. Not everyday by any means. But I started gaining weight. Nothing fast or drastic...but I was gaining. Then last summer I failed 15lbs quick and the only thing different in my diet was fruit. It was hot and the fruit was refreshing. Lots of watermelon, canteloupes, grapes, and apples. When I went for a checkup with my cardiologist and saw how much I'd gained, I about died. I cut out all the fruit and went back to basics. Protein, protein, protein, and low carb. Couldn't lose a lb. did that for about 2-3 months. Had actually gained a few more lbs. I was eating around 600-800 calories a day at that point.

That's when I figured my metabolism was busted. That's when I started looking into a revision to the DS. And here I am. The loss is super slow....but there was no shock to my system this time around. There was no big change to the way I eat, or what I eat, or how much....except that it's even less now because since surgery I've lost my appetite again. Eating is a chore...unless it's boiled seafood, then its a pleasure. Lol

So...that's my tale on how i broke or failed my surgery. I don't believe my sleeve failed me. I believe shit just happens..unplanned shit and what I got out of it was a broken metabolism.

I totally agree with you @star0210. @robs477, I'm about the same as you. 2 lbs/per week. I'm a revision from a VBG to a DS. Revisions are harder to lose. As are screwed up metabolisms.

Also, if you've been on starvation diets, it is harder to lose. Your body just works more efficiently. I did hCG for two years. 500 calories/per day max (I usually did 300) when I was on a 46 day round. And then I would immediately gain 10-15 lbs in the first week or two after the round. So I'd do another round. So I screwed up my metabolism. No recriminations though - it was an act of desperation and totally justifiable.

But by the time I started the hCG, I was 336 lbs. The lowest I got on hCG was 220 for five seconds. I was up to 250 within 4 weeks after that.

By the time I had the revision surgery, I was 325. I was 305 when I started looking into it. My weight was out of control and I couldn't stop gaining.

So the way I look at it is, if I keep losing the 2 lbs/week average, then I'm golden. I just hope my weight loss window stays open for a long time.

I know from @star0210's posts, she keeps her carbs really low, like 30 or less? When I was on 50 or less/day, I stalled. Nada loss. Zilch. So I lowered my carbs to 20. No loss then either. So I decided to be counter-intuitive and upped my calories and carbs. It's actually really, really hard to get in all the calories I need to get in to lose (I bet you're boo hooing right now ;)). At the moment, it seems between 65-90 carbs/140 + protein/and 100-120 fat is my sweet spot. For now anyway.

I'll lose 1.4 lbs one week, and then 2.6 the next. Overall, averaging 2 lbs. I've accepted this and hope it keeps going for as long as possible.

Work-wise, the oilfield majorly sucks right now, so I'm going back to my former career for awhile as a Massage Therapist until the oilfield turns around. I quit due to a shoulder injury so I hope my body can take it. BUT, it will be interesting to see what the added daily activity will bring. Will I have to up my calories? I hope not! Will it increase weight loss? I hope so. Will my abs be killing me where my surgical incision was when I start back next week? Oh yeah, they will be. Massaging is intense on the abs.

The main rule, as I've said before is YMMV. When someone is losing tons of weight, am I jealous? Yep :) But not in a hateful way. I'm happy for the person. I'm also grateful that my scale is steadily dropping. But I can't help the small attack of the green-eyed monster. But then I pat him on the head and put him away, where he belongs. I'm 90% happy for the person who, like me has been battling their weight.

We're all winning. It's not a race.
My 2 very long missive-like cents.

Reading some of these stories make me feel bad about losing fast. :(

Remember guys and gals, we would have punched a puppy to be able to lose two pounds a week before the surgery. Follow the plan, lose steadily, and get as physically fit (cardio wise) as you can. 100 lbs a year is nothing to sneeze at !! I'll be wishing y'all the best, and for fast weight loss :)

I totally agree with you @star0210. @robs477, I'm about the same as you. 2 lbs/per week. I'm a revision from a VBG to a DS. Revisions are harder to lose. As are screwed up metabolisms.

Also, if you've been on starvation diets, it is harder to lose. Your body just works more efficiently. I did hCG for two years. 500 calories/per day max (I usually did 300) when I was on a 46 day round. And then I would immediately gain 10-15 lbs in the first week or two after the round. So I'd do another round. So I screwed up my metabolism. No recriminations though - it was an act of desperation and totally justifiable.

But by the time I started the hCG, I was 336 lbs. The lowest I got on hCG was 220 for five seconds. I was up to 250 within 4 weeks after that.

By the time I had the revision surgery, I was 325. I was 305 when I started looking into it. My weight was out of control and I couldn't stop gaining.

So the way I look at it is, if I keep losing the 2 lbs/week average, then I'm golden. I just hope my weight loss window stays open for a long time.

I know from @star0210's posts, she keeps her carbs really low, like 30 or less? When I was on 50 or less/day, I stalled. Nada loss. Zilch. So I lowered my carbs to 20. No loss then either. So I decided to be counter-intuitive and upped my calories and carbs. It's actually really, really hard to get in all the calories I need to get in to lose (I bet you're boo hooing right now ;)). At the moment, it seems between 65-90 carbs/140 + protein/and 100-120 fat is my sweet spot. For now anyway.

I'll lose 1.4 lbs one week, and then 2.6 the next. Overall, averaging 2 lbs. I've accepted this and hope it keeps going for as long as possible.

Work-wise, the oilfield majorly sucks right now, so I'm going back to my former career for awhile as a Massage Therapist until the oilfield turns around. I quit due to a shoulder injury so I hope my body can take it. BUT, it will be interesting to see what the added daily activity will bring. Will I have to up my calories? I hope not! Will it increase weight loss? I hope so. Will my abs be killing me where my surgical incision was when I start back next week? Oh yeah, they will be. Massaging is intense on the abs.

The main rule, as I've said before is YMMV. When someone is losing tons of weight, am I jealous? Yep :) But not in a hateful way. I'm happy for the person. I'm also grateful that my scale is steadily dropping. But I can't help the small attack of the green-eyed monster. But then I pat him on the head and put him away, where he belongs. I'm 90% happy for the person who, like me has been battling their weight.

We're all winning. It's not a race.
My 2 very long missive-like cents.

I love your post!
I'm averaging about a lb per week.
What I'm most envious of you about is that you seem to have found what works for you....I haven't yet I don't think. I definitely don't think I eat enough. Some days I do really well and I get all excited but then the next few days not so much. I don't have much of an appetite...hell just taking my vites fills me up. I have to force myself to eat. Yesterday was not a good day. It was a stressful busy day. I had a whopping 410 calories...10g of fat, 4g of carbs, and 75g of protein.
On a good note, my 3 month labs look pretty danged good!

I live in South Louisiana...everything here revolves around the oilfield so I feel your pain. I'm really hoping things turn around and soon!

Remember guys and gals, we would have punched a puppy to be able to lose two pounds a week before the surgery. Follow the plan, lose steadily, and get as physically fit (cardio wise) as you can. 100 lbs a year is nothing to sneeze at !! I'll be wishing y'all the best, and for fast weight loss :)

I've joked before that I hate you...but truthfully I'm overly thrilled for you and your success! It's such a life changing thing. When I lost all the weight after my sleeve, it was like I entered a whole new world because there was so many new things I could do. Enjoy the ride my friend!

I Wasn’t going to get in on this post, mainly because I didn’t want to seem like a big ole ninny baby or because I was expecting too much too quick from my recent DS, stay of the GD scale lectures and all of that….BUT…I have an obligation to report what I see, think and feel. I am also going to create another thread when I get a chance called…”zero from zero still equals zero”.

Today I am at 6 weeks. For the last 3 weeks or so, I am back to losing just around 2 lbs per week, and I have come to the conclusion it is not a stall. @Munchkin is right about that whole bell curve thingy and one of my big fears was that myself, being a known previous self diagnosed “Super Absorber” was still going to be that way post DS. And, @Munchkin, unfortunately, that whole “man thing” phenomena, I don’t think will be applicable in my case. I am doing EVERY single thing as I’m supposed to. 60 g protein in drinks per day and about another 30 g in protein that I eat. If I said I was getting 25 carbs, that would be exaggerating, but it’s around 20 mostly from vegetables and I am getting 70 oz hydration.

If prior to the surgery I couldn’t lose weight by doing 500 calories per day, I FAIL to see how the DS malabsorption can help even if I double that amount to 1000 in protein which would still be 500? It’s just math, pure and simple. At this point, I’m not going to lie about this, I m starting to get a little bit down about it. I too was hoping for more. As in how I did in the first 3 weeks. I was hoping that “metabolic change” would last longer, at least 8 months or so. At least long enough for me to lose most of my excess weight.

But, as it stands right now, I think this is how it’s going to be. So, as @Munchkin also said, I/we need to go to plan “B”. I am going to have to work harder and get back in the gym (which I love to do anyway) and work to force those pounds off. Where the DS will benefit me and the other small group of “Super Absorbers” the most, I believe is in the maintenance phase. It CAN NOT let you re-gain the weight (in moderation of course, not going Carb crazy) simply because of the malabsorption aspect of it….But, if you have been an efficient absorber like I have been in the past and can survive on next to nothing, still having next to nothing is the same thing……”zero from zero still equals zero”.

Also, when I do get to the maintenance phase, and even right now, at least I can eat the foods I like and still NOT GAIN weight...HOPEFULLY. Pre-DS, that of course was NOT possible, so, I do understand and am grateful for what I have….I was just hoping for more and the first 3 weeks was like a big giant prick tease where it tricked me and I actually thought I had a chance of being more normal, that’s all.

Hey you...it's way too soon for you to be thinking like that! As long as you're losing you're not in a stall. I think as time goes on and you can eat more you will lose more. I think you and I have the same problem. We're not eating enough. But for being only 6 weeks out, I think you're doing great!
Because of your body's efficiency you may never lose as fast as some...but as long as you lose it...who cares?
Keep the faith my friend!

I 'snorted' when I read "punched a puppy"...thanks for the laugh!!!

I have averaged 5 pounds lost per month for about a year. So, really two pounds a week is fantastic!! I am almost at goal and it scares the shit out of me that I won't make it. I keep telling myself that I will be happy if I never lose another pound but, I really want to make it to goal. I am at the very scary juncture of my window closing. I will have to learn to live with my results and learn to maintain. That is why this surgery is such a journey. It is different and the same for all of us. We all must learn how our own body works with its new wiring.

@chevtow....You shouldn’t feel bad Chev, but that’s very thoughtful of you! I’m genuinely happy for you. I know what you mean though, I didn’t wanna post much when I was doing so well (recovery wise) in my first 3 weeks because others on here wasn’t and I felt bad for them.

Hey you...it's way too soon for you to be thinking like that! As long as you're losing you're not in a stall. I think as time goes on and you can eat more you will lose more. I think you and I have the same problem. We're not eating enough. But for being only 6 weeks out, I think you're doing great!
Because of your body's efficiency you may never lose as fast as some...but as long as you lose it...who cares?
Keep the faith my friend!
I Knooowww....sort of :D. It’s been 1 lb total for this week. I know I’m being a putz, a knob, a woos, a ninny baby, a rube, a dweebe, a wet blanket, a....well, you get the point.

I’m trying not to, and I am VERY thankful as good as I’ve done, recovery wise. I was just really digging on that pound per day thing and would now be happy with half of that!

Latest posts

Back