Hi from Houston

Welcome to the losing team! My only advice would be to read alot of the revision forums on all the WLS sites. There are alot of people that had the sleeve and then end up having the revision to the DS and a re-sleeve due to stretching. I would hate to see you have 2 surgeries when one would suffice. Do you have any medical issues such as diabetes? I decided to go with the DS in Nov 2014 due to comorbid conditions. Cured my diabetes, my HBP, my cholesterol is just about down to normal. My knees are so much better too. I had about 125 lbs to lose and I am down 65 so far in 17 weeks.

@marissamast wow!! Congrats!

I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, or anything else along that line. I am insulin resistant (PCOS, but no issues with facial hair/testosterone) but no other issues. My fasting glucose is on the low side of normal, it's just insulin which is consistently high. Triglycerides and everything else are normal.

Last edited:
I should add that I'm really hesitant about gut surgeries in general. I have family who've had so many complications in that arena, and I just do not want to mess with intestinal rerouting in any way. There are a multitude of reasons, but I just don't think it's necessary in my case. I've read great things about how helpful it can be for many people with many comorbidities but I don't think it's the best choice for me.

@cake as long as you are making an informed decision...go for it. But find a way to at least use a surgeon who does the DS so you can get the full scoop on all the surgeries.

I do know lightweights who have done well with the sleeve...and then others didn't.

@southernlady thanks so much! I'm trying really hard to get all facts before I make any decisions and that's what led me here! ☺️

I know a few people who've done well on the sleeve, but to be fair it's not a big list. I feel like if I'm able to resolve the insulin issue, I'll be okay; I work out pretty consistently, lift weights, and am okay with eating low carb. I have been for quite a while as an adult and have had great success with it.

I know someone, I think @Larra mentioned not knowing many surgeons in Houston, but If anyone happens to know some good ones, I'd appreciate it ☺️

I've been looking up licenses and malpractice claims on the Texas Medical Board site whenever I find a surgeon I'm interested in, but one I know for sure has had malpractice claims didn't show any on their site so I'm not sure how reliable it is. If there are any recommendations on where best to find this stuff, I'd love to know! I feel like I'm missing something.

Another issue which complicates the surgeon hunt is that I have a bariatric exclusion in my insurance policy, so Ill have to be cash pay. This hinges on being able to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time, for which I DO have surgical coverage, and paying cash for the sleeve.

@Munchkin you're a saint! I can't imagine that commute. I'm pretty close to the med center currently; it's grown like CRAZY in the last 10 years or so.

Welcome to the board! Good luck w your decision and search for a good surgeon.

Speaking of Houston...my kids and I ate at Perry's Steakhouse during our TX girls' trip. Best meal we had in TX!! Wish we had one in PA. The kids still rave about it. :)

Speaking of Houston...my kids and I ate at Perry's Steakhouse during our TX girls' trip. Best meal we had in TX!! Wish we had one in PA. The kids still rave about it. :)

I know the place well and am friends with the owner Chris Perry. He has yet to give me anything free though :D....good businessman though :D

Latest posts

Back