Fiddle-ity D

How the hell did I do that?

Repeat: Ferritin levels that high can indicate an infection somewhere. What was it on your last labs?

@newanatomy , did you have iron infusions recently? How has your ferritin been trending? And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, what does your doctor say about that? Like @SHales said, high ferritin can indicate an issue, but NOT if you've just had iron infusions. My ferritin was in the thousands for 18 months after my iron infusions, my hematologist said not to worry, it would float back down. Which it has. But why is yours high?

@newanatomy , did you have iron infusions recently? How has your ferritin been trending? And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, what does your doctor say about that? Like @SHales said, high ferritin can indicate an issue, but NOT if you've just had iron infusions. My ferritin was in the thousands for 18 months after my iron infusions, my hematologist said not to worry, it would float back down. Which it has. But why is yours high?

Thanks guys! No infusions, I have tolerated the iron supplements well and have great levels. My PCP is unconcerned about the ferritin and there were no other markers or symptoms of infection. I read through pages and pages of old posts about high ferritin on OH, nothing remarkable there or helpful really. I am not worried about the ferritin at this point, just wondered if you had any experience with it.

I am not a D S r yet but many years post R NY . Just got my Vitamin D level done. It was 8. My doc recommends 5,000iu daily. Is this enough or should I take more? Want to get my level where it needs to be as best I can.

I am not a D S r yet but many years post R NY . Just got my Vitamin D level done. It was 8. My doc recommends 5,000iu daily. Is this enough or should I take more? Want to get my level where it needs to be as best I can.
Barbara, do you have a revision date yet?

Okay, what I did and I am not recommending this to you but I started this about 4 months before surgery. I started taking the dry D3 50,000 (Vitalady brand) daily. But by then I had a surgery time frame (not an exact date) and wanted to get mine as high normal as I could.

I do know that Vitalady who is also a RNY'er takes 50,000 each and every day.

Thanks!' No date yet. Don't see Dr. Greenbaum til 12/12. Just want to get my ducks in a row. Early so there is no unnecessary delay. Will order vites today and start taking. Want to be prepared.

Isn't Vitalady an ERNY? Basically having much more malabsorption that the regular RNY'er. Maybe you can contact her and see what her recommendations are for the regular RNY. I would hesitate taking a mega dose for an extended period of time without finding that out first.

Isn't Vitalady an ERNY? Basically having much more malabsorption that the regular RNY'er. Maybe you can contact her and see what her recommendations are for the regular RNY. I would hesitate taking a mega dose for an extended period of time without finding that out first.
According to her Proximal RNY list, the dosage is a total of 20,000 daily in two sets of 10,000 each.

Yes, Vitalady is a Distal but when she wrote that list in 2010, the range for D was lower than it is now. Even NOW, Mayo is listing anything above 80 as POSSIBLY toxic and saying that between 10 and 25 is only MILDLY deficient. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories..../transcripts/2009/2009-1b-vitamind/1b-14.html

I was a normie in Oct 2010...my surgery wasn't until Jan and it took every bit of that time to raise my woefully low D of 8 to a reasonable 35 even with my taking 50,000 Dry D3 each and every day.

Latest posts

Back