Fiddle-ity D

k9ophile

I never thought I'd have to adjust my Vitamin D downward. The upper level for my lab results is 75 pg/mL and mine is 138.5. PCP told me to cut my intake in half. Thank God Vitalady has the doses to make that easier. My ALT (SGPT) was also I, yet I did just finish up 90 days of anti-fungals for my toenails. It was 48 IU/L with an upper high of 32.

My PCP doesn't want to see me for 6 months, but I think I'm going to consult with Dr. Google to see if I should re-test sooner. Wish me luck.

I was taking 75,000 IUs, yet I've read of people taking more just to get to an acceptable level. I think this is a great example of everyone being different. We must be vigilant and responsible for ourselves.

@JackieOnLine , according to Dr. Google, searching for "vitamin D toxicity" did result in this http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...xpert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108 as well as other articles. Or:

What is vitamin D toxicity, and should I worry about it since I take supplements?
Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
Vitamin D toxicity, also called hypervitaminosis D, is a rare but potentially serious condition that occurs when you have excessive amounts of vitamin D in your body.
Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by megadoses of vitamin D supplements — not by diet or sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur. Treatment includes the stopping of excessive vitamin D intake. Your doctor may also prescribe intravenous fluids and medications, such as corticosteroids or bisphosphonates.
Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor and only for a short time.

Although vitamin D toxicity is uncommon even among people who take supplements, you may be at greater risk if you have health problems, such as liver or kidney conditions, or if you take thiazide-type diuretics. As always, talk to your doctor before taking vitamin and mineral supplements.

It was a little scary for me due to all the calcium I take and my history of kidney stones. I've scaled back to 35,000 IU, but I'm a little nervous. I really need to read up on thyroid levels and how this all interacts. It's been a while and I don't remember all the intricacies of what affects what.

Another reason to stay connected to some support system is all information shared benefits me as well as others. I hate to think what shape I'd be in if I followed the NUT's recommendations.

If the worse thing about too much vitamin D is a build up of calcium, I would not be too worried.

I take 50,000 D per day and maintain well. But I know it can drop quickly if I reduce my level. I would suggest you retest in three months to be sure. Test your D, calcium and PTH at the same time due to their relationship.

If the worse thing about too much vitamin D is a build up of calcium, I would not be too worried.

I take 50,000 D per day and maintain well. But I know it can drop quickly if I reduce my level. I would suggest you retest in three months to be sure. Test your D, calcium and PTH at the same time due to their relationship.
Thanks!

@k9ophile , I once had my D up to 348 with no ill effects. My surgeons office nurse almost had a stroke, but I just called Vitalady to get the straight scoop. She told me that she had heard of a man who got his (accidentally) up in the 900's who also had no ill effects.

With that being said, I now KEEP my D around 125, on purpose. It was difficult for me to raise my D, and after over-shooting it that one time, I now find I feel best where it's at. When I overshot my D, I had been taking the same dosage for 18 months, with little change. The only thing I did differently was add in tanning in a tanning bed. I became a super-absorber of D with tanning only 6 minutes a day, 3 times a week. Simultaneously, my PTH was 12.

Take from my story what you will.

I appreciate your two cents worth, Sheanie. I'm inclined to think I'd rather have it a bit on the high side rather than let it tank and try to get it back. Yet it the mean time, while looking for lower doses, I found a very nice and easily dissolvable form from Vitalady. I've had some problems with some capsules, so at least with a sublingual, I know I'm getting all of the benefits of the supplement. This may be TMI, but I've found a few capsules floating in the toilet.

I appreciate your two cents worth, Sheanie. I'm inclined to think I'd rather have it a bit on the high side rather than let it tank and try to get it back. Yet it the mean time, while looking for lower doses, I found a very nice and easily dissolvable form from Vitalady. I've had some problems with some capsules, so at least with a sublingual, I know I'm getting all of the benefits of the supplement. This may be TMI, but I've found a few capsules floating in the toilet.
LOL.. Floating in the toilet! I do know one person who took all the different forms of D she could find, sublingual, anything. She even took some in the middle of the night in efforts to raise her dismal D and get her PTH down. Just make sure you gauge according to your LABS which form works best for you. Because your labs will always show the truth.

Vitalady once told me that capsules easily dissolve. You can just let them sit in your mouth and they will turn to mush. So how you could find one in the toilet is a mystery to me. But strange things happen.

Sometimes I don't keep them in my mouth long enough to get mushy, but still I'd like to think it would dissolve somewhere in digestive tract. Sheesh,

My Vitamin D came back high at 130 (range 30 - 100). I also take 50,000 D per day but, am reducing to 6 times per week instead of 7 to see how that works. My calcium is 9.7 range of (8.7 - 10.2) so it is not high.

Last edited:
I just took a wild ass guess and lowered myself from 150k to 100k IUs because we moved and have a pool now and it's summer and I am spending A LOT of time in the sun. I'm almost due for more labs but want to change to my new doctor first.

@Sheanie, how about that ferritin? Mine is running high 436 (15 - 150) but, all of my iron panel is fantastic middle to mid-high in range!

Latest posts

Back