Dr. Alejandro Lopez @ VIDA Hospital in Tijuana, Mexico???

windyridge4mom

Captain FV Cast Away
Hi All-

Scheduled with Dr. Lopez on 11/2/15. Have been in contact with the Doctor himself as I have a large abdominal hernia that my surgeon up here (Washington) does not want to fix until I get some weight off. My surgeon up here was very supportive of my decision to go to Mexico for surgery and has seen a lot of really good work come out of Mexico. Sent MRI results to Dr. Lopez for review and he believes he can remove my lap band and perform a DS around the hernia via scope. If he can't, he says he will repair the hernia (open procedure) and perform the DS at the same time. In speaking with him and his staff, he seems very caring and knowledgeable. His staff claims he has done several hundred DS procedures. Dr. Lopez is very easy to get a hold of and prompt to respond to his clients as well. (Too bad we don't get the same consideration up here sometimes!)

Other than the folks I've been able to find on other boards and FB groups, just wondering if anyone else has used this facility. There is one bad review for VIDA from several years ago but that person did not respond when I reached out for more info. They were happy with the care from the Dr. just not the clinic staff.

I have yet to hear of any DS surgeon in Tijuana that I'd dare to go to. The things you mention are all nice, but secondary to experience with the DS and a good safety record, including the hospital.

I'd go to Dr. Ramos Kelly if I wanted a SADI. He's FACS/ASMBS certified. He's the only one I'd consider though, and at his price point (I forget what it is honestly...), you might as well go with a true DS surgeon. Dr. Ramos won't lie to you, he'll straight up tell you he only does the SADI as well. For what that's worth. He also only has 1 person that does his scheduling. Not a coordinator-type service.

I went and did some reading. He is certified in plastics too. And a member of the ASMBS. How many DS has he done? And who proctored him? I found several patients discussing mostly the VSG. Didn't find anything about him doing SIPS so chances are good it's a real DS.

I didn't find anyone I trusted in TJ to do a DS, mostly because DS seemed to be an afterthought with the ones I found. Or they "save you money" by operating in a clinic. Or they do it in a decent private hospital but then boot you out after a couple of days to recover in a hotel or "recovery condo" which scared the crudola out of me. It was ok when I had my crap band but holy moley, a DS is an entirely different thing. I don't know this doctor so I can't say anything as to his experience and skill...All I can say is do your research, find out who trained them, how many DS surgeries they've done as the main surgeon, how long you're in the hospital, where you recover, etc., and then make an informed decision.

I'd go to Dr. Ramos Kelly if I wanted a SADI. He's FACS/ASMBS certified. He's the only one I'd consider though, and at his price point (I forget what it is honestly...), you might as well go with a true DS surgeon. Dr. Ramos won't lie to you, he'll straight up tell you he only does the SADI as well. For what that's worth. He also only has 1 person that does his scheduling. Not a coordinator-type service.

I didn't know Dr Ramos did SADI... but that's probably because when I was doing my research, I ruled out anything but a true DS. That's interesting to know.

Latest posts

Back