Covid Vaccination?

Thankfully, it was a slow day at work so I could keep going back onto the appointment pages. Error messages, getting kicked off, etc., and finally got an appt. for my mother. (Only took 4 hours :oops: ). Hopefully, her doctors will come through with an earlier one (if supplies increase) but at least she’s on the books.
:clapping:

Thanks Spiky Bugger Now we're waiting to hear back from her PCP. A friend told her if she keeps this appt. in April through the NYS website, she won't be eligible to get one earlier from her Doctors and/or Hospitals who keep emailing her to tell her they'll be contacting her soon about an appt. It's a never-ending thing. :wall:

So her PCP said to keep her April appt. With the shortage in NY and the canceling of appts. because of it, it may be a good thing her appt. isn't till April.

Last edited:
In an exercise of privilege, they have just arranged for all staff in my kids' school district to get vaccinated - the first shot will be brought to them all on Feb 14.

Meanwhile, despite scouring the jewel and Walgreens' websites frequently for a possible opening up to 50 miles away, still can't get Mom an appointment.

ETA: Their school is where Ferris Bueller's Day Off was filmed - i.e. well-funded. They created a "pod" for so other schools in the area with less financial resources would also be able to have their staff vaccinated on the 14th too (too give a feel of equity), but it still has the feel of jumping the line for a scarce resource (ahead of elderly, etc. and before Chicago Public Schools). I really want the teachers vaccinated because they're being pressured to risk their lives (not for my kids benefit - they will stay remote all year). I'm not stepping in to challenge the decision and feeling a bit too relieved that the call was out of my hands, so maybe I need to check my own moral compass and privilege too. This should be a case study for ethics classes - lots to think about.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, WV is first in something, lol.
West Virginia First State to Launch Everbridge COVID-19 Vaccination Pre-Registration System
We will be getting a POBox to start with settling here and becoming residents. Once we have our POBox, we can both sign up on the system. WV has already started vaccinating 65 and older, esp those with underlying issues. Since I’m 66 and diabetic/asthmatic, I get put further up the list than another 66 year old without any condition.

Last edited:
In an exercise of privilege, they have just arranged for all staff in my kids' school district to get vaccinated - the first shot will be brought to them all on Feb 14.

Meanwhile, despite scouring the jewel and Walgreens' websites frequently for a possible opening up to 50 miles away, still can't get Mom an appointment.

ETA: Their school is where Ferris Bueller's Day Off was filmed - i.e. well-funded. They created a "pod" for so other schools in the area with less financial resources would also be able to have their staff vaccinated on the 14th too (too give a feel of equity), but it still has the feel of jumping the line for a scarce resource (ahead of elderly, etc. and before Chicago Public Schools). I really want the teachers vaccinated because they're being pressured to risk their lives (not for my kids benefit - they will stay remote all year). I'm not stepping in to challenge the decision and feeling a bit too relieved that the call was out of my hands, so maybe I need to check my own moral compass and privilege too. This should be a case study for ethics classes - lots to think about.

Same situation here. We’ve had our first “shots.” He is 68 and has a hx of MI—full-blown widow-maker heart attack at age 47 and and a family hx of cardio issues. I’m 74 with COPD, asthma, CHF (plus various non-respiratory issues). There ARE sicker people.

But, in addition to our kid and her partner having HAD the virus, we have an “intermittent son,” a hospital RN who sometimes works with COVID patients at work, who had a round of it himself and who, when the mood strikes him…such as during really busy long shift weeks at work…shows up and says something like, “I hope you people don’t have any crap on my bed.”

In his mind, that makes us “Health Worker Family Members,” and keeps him from the long drive to his other home.

But, Hilary, you grew up Jewish and I grew up Catholic, so we’d probably be doing guilt if we were the last two vaccine recipients in the country.

:unsure:

Same situation here. We’ve had our first “shots.” He is 68 and has a hx of MI—full-blown widow-maker heart attack at age 47 and and a family hx of cardio issues. I’m 74 with COPD, asthma, CHF (plus various non-respiratory issues). There ARE sicker people.

But, in addition to our kid and her partner having HAD the virus, we have an “intermittent son,” a hospital RN who sometimes works with COVID patients at work, who had a round of it himself and who, when the mood strikes him…such as during really busy long shift weeks at work…shows up and says something like, “I hope you people don’t have any crap on my bed.”

In his mind, that makes us “Health Worker Family Members,” and keeps him from the long drive to his other home.

But, Hilary, you grew up Jewish and I grew up Catholic, so we’d probably be doing guilt if we were the last two vaccine recipients in the country.

:unsure:
Your intermittent son is correct. I am thrilled you are vaccinated.

And you make a very fair point about the guilt. Actually, I grew up with and am carrying forward both Catholic and Jewish guilt. As an adult, I've added recognition of the inequity of my privileged existence, making it a guilt trifecta. ;)

I just hope production is ramped up and everyone can get their jabs soon.

Last edited:
Charles and I will get our first shot on 2/6. Dad had his on 1/19, but I can’t get an appointment for his second. Since he had Pfizer at the Maricopa County site, and they’re using Pfizer at the AZ state site where Charles and I are getting ours, we’re going to bring him with us and hope they will give him his second shot at the same time (it will be 3 days early, but the CDC says that’s OK).

Charles and I will get our first shot on 2/6. Dad had his on 1/19, but I can’t get an appointment for his second. Since he had Pfizer at the Maricopa County site, and they’re using Pfizer at the AZ state site where Charles and I are getting ours, we’re going to bring him with us and hope they will give him his second shot at the same time (it will be 3 days early, but the CDC says that’s OK).

Yes but, while CDC says it’s okay, mix-and-match vaccines haven’t been studied and, as yet, are not “ideal.” Apparently, going a few extra weeks between vaccine #1 and #2 is also okay. Do you feel comfortable going a bit early and with a different vaccine? I may be a bit too neurotic to try that, so it’s cool I don’t have to.

Yes but, while CDC says it’s okay, mix-and-match vaccines haven’t been studied and, as yet, are not “ideal.” Apparently, going a few extra weeks between vaccine #1 and #2 is also okay. Do you feel comfortable going a bit early and with a different vaccine? I may be a bit too neurotic to try that, so it’s cool I don’t have to.
am I missing something? Doesn’t she say her Dad had Pfizer and they are using Pfizer where her she and Charles are getting theirs?

My guy gets his second Moderna Monday morning. I’m so happy!

The CDC said that people with developmental disabilities were high risk but they’re not on the high risk list here in Texas. They’re still on level 1 a and 1b. I guess it doesn’t matter since my son still won’t be going to school until we all get the vaccine and maybe not even after that. He still needs to wear a mask all day and that’s just not possible for him with his sensory issues.

On a positive note, my 77 year old mom with congestive heart failure, hbp and on oxygen got her Covid vaccination today!! This was quite a feat because she was VERY suspicious of any vaccination and the medical establishment period because of Tuskegee syphilis experiment and also her own experiences with the lack of medical consent and abuses that happened a lot in the past to Black people. She also got the pneumonia vaccine last week which is great because she had pneumonia two times the summer of 2017 and it almost killed her! I have been trying to convince her for a long time to get that one!! That both of these vaccines weren’t the live virus but antibodies for the viruses. I am very relieved about this. I have been afraid this virus would kill everyone who was over 60 in my family.

Latest posts

Back