Covid Vaccination?

k9ophile

I'm happy to see progress is being made, BUT I'm curious to know who will be the first ones to get it.

The main reason I'm asking this community is because of all the flak that was thrown attend me when I said I was my surgeon's first DS. I never questioned his ability. I was a bit irked to see all the comments about no one should get a DS from anyone who hasn't performed at least 100. How do they get to 100 if no one wants to go first?

Give me you pro's and con's about getting one as soon as it comes out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
I have no qualms about getting vaccinated as soon as a CDC approved vaccine is available. BUT I think it's going to be a gradual roll-out, with medical/hospital personnel and first responders at the head of the line, followed by those at highest risk for severe illness/death, followed by the rest of us. And I don't know exactly how "highest risk" will be defined, I would include anyone in or working in a nursing home or assisted living, older folks, those with the worst comorbidities.
It's going to be a long winter.

I can't argue with that. Especially the long winter summation. TN more or less mandates flu shots for hospital employees. Now that I'm retired, I keep up with it. I had the flu in the late 90's and would not like to repeat it. While serving in the military, flu shots were not a choice. I remember getting one with a thank you for volunteering to take this experimental vaccination.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m going to wait a bit to see the data. Pfizer’s vaccine sounds effective from the news reports, but to say the data supporting it is thin would be an understatement.
  • The time period that was measured was literally a week:
    • “According to the trial’s protocol, the vaccine comes in two doses, which are given three weeks apart. The researchers waited at least seven days after the second dose had been administered to see who contracted COVID-19 in real life, assuming each group practiced comparable risk-taking behaviors.”
  • What ages does it work for? At what dosage? Old people like me need a 4X flu shot.
  • How long is it effective?
  • What do they MEAN by effective? It apparently doesn’t mean preventing infection:
    • “It’s also unclear if the vaccine simply prevented symptoms in mild or moderate cases, or if it reduced severe outcomes.”
  • Are vaccinated infected people contagious, even if not seriously ill or even asymptomatic?? This is really critical information.
One other major concern I have: the Pfizer vaccine is the first ever mRNA vaccine. I’m not a fan of being a guinea pig if I have other options. There are “regular” protein antigen vaccines right on Pfizer’s heels. And at least one is a single injection with no special storage requirements like Pfizer’s -70°C.

Imma gonna wait for the data.

I’m going to wait a bit to see the data. Pfizer’s vaccine sounds effective from the news reports, but to say the data supporting it is thin would be an understatement.
    • “According to the trial’s protocol, the vaccine comes in two doses, which are given three weeks apart. The researchers waited at least seven days after the second dose had been administered to see who contracted COVID-19 in real life, assuming each group practiced comparable risk-taking behaviors.”
  • What ages does it work for? At what dosage? Old people like me need a 4X flu shot.
  • What do they MEAN by effective? It apparently doesn’t mean preventing infection:
    • “It’s also unclear if the vaccine simply prevented symptoms in mild or moderate cases, or if it reduced severe outcomes.”
  • Are vaccinated infected people contagious, even if not seriously ill or even asymptomatic?? This is really critical information.
One other major concern I have: the Pfizer vaccine is the first ever mRNA vaccine. I’m not a fan of being a guinea pig if I have other options. There are “regular” protein antigen vaccines right on Pfizer’s heels. And at least one is a single injection with no special storage requirements like Pfizer’s -70°C.

I was sure you'd give us a lot of information. Thank you for your research.

Let us know when your waiting is over. :)

I’d be inclined to be vaccinated at the earliest opportunity as I am an essential employee who is working every day with other public servants. I dislike needles though so I’d prefer one shot vice 2 but beggars can’t be choosers.

By the time it becomes available for me, I am pretty sure I will know if it's safe. Literally millions of people are going to be a higher priority so they are all going first!

I am very encouraged to learn people still have antibodies multiple months after being exposed or actually getting sick. Right now, I would love to have an antibody test so I could know if I have already had it! Been exposed. Whatever!

By the time it becomes available for me, I am pretty sure I will know if it's safe. Literally millions of people are going to be a higher priority so they are all going first!

I am very encouraged to learn people still have antibodies multiple months after being exposed or actually getting sick. Right now, I would love to have an antibody test so I could know if I have already had it! Been exposed. Whatever!
Ditto for me!

I'm seeing more articles about the advancements being made and I am becoming cautiously optimistic. My age puts me at a higher risk and my activities outside the house are minimal. I'm fine with waiting while allowing higher risk groups go before me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back