Covid Vaccination?

Because of a misunderstanding…and good connections…MrSue and I got our first vaccines this morning.

MiniSue’s office is a room behind my garage. She called, breathlessly, about half an hour ago. Our same connection called her to tell her that their vaccine appointments had come and gone and they had a few leftover doses that, if not used today, would be destroyed. Could she, and MrMiniSue, get there before 5:00 pm? You bet your sweet ass they can get there. (Right this second she called and asked where to park...building or tent. Building.)

So we will all, except for the almost-11-years-old person, be on the same schedule. Pretty soon—if you consider six weeks to be soon—we can HUG! It’s been a looooooong time.

Because of a misunderstanding…and good connections…MrSue and I got our first vaccines this morning.

MiniSue’s office is a room behind my garage. She called, breathlessly, about half an hour ago. Our same connection called her to tell her that their vaccine appointments had come and gone and they had a few leftover doses that, if not used today, would be destroyed. Could she, and MrMiniSue, get there before 5:00 pm? You bet your sweet ass they can get there. (Right this second she called and asked where to park...building or tent. Building.)

So we will all, except for the almost-11-years-old person, be on the same schedule. Pretty soon—if you consider six weeks to be soon—we can HUG! It’s been a looooooong time.
Lucky you. It's near impossible to get an appt. around here. We're waiting for some of the hospitals to get their supply as they said they'd contact us then.

That is great news. If I had that chance I would drop everything and show up too. Hell, I would go in my jammies if I had to! Good for you.

There is a CVS in my neighborhood. I wonder if they have a some sort of list people can get on if they are willing to drop everything and come get the shot? I should check and see.

In the paper yesterday they said they were taking appointments for 75 and over. So I guess it won't be my turn for quite a while yet.

Lucky you. It's near impossible to get an appt. around here. We're waiting for some of the hospitals to get their supply as they said they'd contact us then.

Once they have the supply, the “gamble” DianaCox first mentioned…going late and hoping for leftovers…is a fairly good bet.

Each Moderna vial, for example, contains ten doses. The vials can be outside their refrigeration for six hours; then they go in the trash. So, if there are two or three “vaccine stations” that each scheduled 100 people—but there were a couple of no-shows, and a couple of folks were running a fever, and someone who HAD had COVID-19 w/in the last 90 days, but thought the cutoff was 60 days, they could have up to 27 doses of the vaccine headed for the trash.

MiniSue just asked MrMiniSue’s ex-wife, who lives close to the hospital we used, if she wanted to be on the VERY unofficial “stand by“ list. Ex said yes and is delighted. That would tidy things up because all the adults around the 11-year-old will have been vaccinated. (One real grandma is close enough for occasional visits and I think she’s 75 and able to get the vaccine soon.).

Meanwhile, we have a family dinner tentatively scheduled for the 27th or 28th of February, at which point we should all have 94% immunity.

(Also, it makes MiniSue look like a real mensch to try to help the Ex, right?)

That is great news. If I had that chance I would drop everything and show up too. Hell, I would go in my jammies if I had to! Good for you.

There is a CVS in my neighborhood. I wonder if they have a some sort of list people can get on if they are willing to drop everything and come get the shot? I should check and see.

In the paper yesterday they said they were taking appointments for 75 and over. So I guess it won't be my turn for quite a while yet.
You MIGHT consider asking what hours they vaccinate, and then show up like, half an hour, before the last one. Then say, “In the hospital where my ___ (insert name of imaginary BFF/relative) works, they often have leftovers they have to destroy. Do you folks have any leftovers today?”

Once they have the supply, the “gamble” DianaCox first mentioned…going late and hoping for leftovers…is a fairly good bet.

Each Moderna vial, for example, contains ten doses. The vials can be outside their refrigeration for six hours; then they go in the trash. So, if there are two or three “vaccine stations” that each scheduled 100 people—but there were a couple of no-shows, and a couple of folks were running a fever, and someone who HAD had COVID-19 w/in the last 90 days, but thought the cutoff was 60 days, they could have up to 27 doses of the vaccine headed for the trash.

MiniSue just asked MrMiniSue’s ex-wife, who lives close to the hospital we used, if she wanted to be on the VERY unofficial “stand by“ list. Ex said yes and is delighted. That would tidy things up because all the adults around the 11-year-old will have been vaccinated. (One real grandma is close enough for occasional visits and I think she’s 75 and able to get the vaccine soon.).

Meanwhile, we have a family dinner tentatively scheduled for the 27th or 28th of February, at which point we should all have 94% immunity.

(Also, it makes MiniSue look like a real mensch to try to help the Ex, right?)
Sounds like the airport, lol.

I went to our county department of health's web page and learned I'm not a priority since one has to be 75 or in a high risk group. Of course I want the higher risk people to get first priority, yet waiting to hear when I'm eligible hasn't eased my anxiety. The Serenity prayer hasn't helped much either.

Thankfully, it was a slow day at work so I could keep going back onto the appointment pages. Error messages, getting kicked off, etc., and finally got an appt. for my mother. (Only took 4 hours :oops: ). Hopefully, her doctors will come through with an earlier one (if supplies increase) but at least she’s on the books.

Latest posts

Back