ANOTHER poop thread + a disheartening info session at Johns Hopkins

I'm scheduled for a DS with Dr. Elariny on April 6. My experience with his office has been very encouraging. He is very personable and responsive to questions and concerns. Though I've been approved for the surgery by my insurer, Elariny is out-of-network for the DS, so I will be paying a hefty co-pay. He requires an upfront payment of $11,000, which may be more or less than the final co-pay. He will refund the balance if that is an overpayment and with require me to make up the deficiency if it is an underpayment.

I'm sure I'll have more to say after the surgery.

That puts him in the same price range as Ungson in Mexicali, who is also very well respected. And who has the added benefit of no insurance bull needed.

So, I'm just gonna share a little bit of my own experience with you...

I posted a very similar question on an older website that many of us used to use, when it was a few weeks pre-op for RNY and my surgeon called me up on a Sunday to tell me he really thought the DS was a better choice for me in the long run. I started doing research and the threat of potty issues FREAKED ME OUT! When I posted asking about experiences, thinking it might be a deal breaker for me, I got my head ripped off by a few people. They told me that they would rather have chosen to resolve their serious comorbities, live a NORMAL life and deal with smellier poo any day of the week than live like they had been before. Now that I'm 19 months on the other side, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!!! I am thankful every day of my life that my Dr. told me about the DS.

First of all, shit stinks. Let's be real. DS poop stinks more, but worse if you eat crap. So you get extra strong air freshener, or burn incense, or keep the fan on extra long. It's not unmanageable.

As far as being poop shy, I was too. I was borderline phobic of going in public, esp at work. I would give myself a horrid stomach ache, then wait until everyone left so no one would know that I was pooping at work. Well, guess what? Everyone poops!!! It took me a little time to get comfortable with it, and I don't actually *enjoy* going in public restrooms, but I courtesy flush while I'm going (which masks the sound also!) and I keep a small can of concentrated air freshener in my bag at all times, and I can tell you, that while my shit stinks worse than others, I take more care than 99% of people out there to alleviate it.

I went from 436 pounds to, currently, around 170ish. I just got off a plane and I had to tighten the seat belt about 8 inches instead of leaving it open because I was too embarrassed to ask for an extender. I had my legs crossed the entire flight. Today was super hero day at work, and I wore a Supergirl costume. I walked in two 5ks in the fall. I am diabetes and sleep apnea free. I am normal for the first time in my life and all the poo in the world wouldn't make me trade that in :)

Latest posts

Back