ANOTHER poop thread + a disheartening info session at Johns Hopkins

Pippin

Hello everyone. I have not posted here in a long, long time, but I read your posts often.

Just as a quick intro- I had the VSG in 2009. I lost 160 lbs. I've gained back 100. After researching a lot, I think the DS is right for me. I've waited to get moving on this because I wanted to be really sure that it's the right decision for me. Today I finally went to one of those required info sessions at the hospital where I wanted to have my surgery - I wanted to have my surgery with Dr. Michael Schweitzer at Johns Hopkins here in Baltimore.

At the info session, the presenting doctor didn't speak about the DS at all, just the lap-band, the sleeve, and the bypass. Afterwards I asked him why he didn't speak about the DS because according to their website, they perform the DS. He said that they no longer perform it, because of symptoms that DS patients have after surgery- extremely foul diarrhea and gas.

Is it really THAT bad? Could this really be the reason they decided to stop performing the surgery?

Guys, how bad is it? Is it manageable with careful eating habits and probiotics, or is it mostly inevitable? Is is caused by carbs only or also the malabsorbed fat? I have to admit it is a concern for me. (Any potential surgery is a long way away, but I'm already concerned about sharing the bathroom at work. I'm ALREADY a shy pooper and I have normal poops now!)

He said that they still perform the DS on patients that really need it (?) so hopefully when I have an actual consult with a surgeon I can speak more in-depth about it and see if he or she will give me the DS. I am not willing to get a bypass- I just don't think it's the right surgery for my needs.

What do you guys think?

I think you should have asked us about going to Schweitzer before you went. We could have told you this. Go find another surgeon and CHECK with us first before you waste your time and money.

The last few patients I know of who went to Schweitzer got sleeved instead of switched, with him saying all DSs should be two parts, and just before that, someone was "cheated" with a subpar surgery with a 350 cm common channel and what sounded like a lame excuse for it.

Last edited:
In addition to what @DianaCox said above, there were a few patients already approved for the DS WITH SURGERY DATES who were informed just a couple weeks before their dates that Dr. S would not do their DS's after all. Unless he was forced to stop doing the DS, which I doubt (though I have no information on his decision), IMHO he should at least have done the ones he had committed to do before he quit doing them.

No, the poop/gas stuff isn't that bad, unless you eat bad. You will learn what foods work well for you and what food don't. Forget Hopkins, no one has done a DS there, to my knowledge, since Dr. S quit doing them, which was several years ago. You need to go elsewhere, that's all there is to it. Assuming you are in or near MD, you could consider Dr. Elariny in VA or Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, or the guys in PA. You do have options, explore them and forget about Hopkins. That ship has sailed.

Wow, Diana. That is horrible. It makes me sick when I hear about doctors performing the wrong surgeries on patients without consent. I'm really glad I only wasted my time today and not anything else.

I'm looking through the surgeon reviews on the boards here. I would prefer to see someone semi-local. I'm looking at Dr. Elariny in Vienna, VA. There's only one review of him on the forum, though so I will look around for more info.

@Pippin Dr. Elariny has a good reputation and definitely does the DS. You could start a new thread asking for feedback about him.

Wow, Diana. That is horrible. It makes me sick when I hear about doctors performing the wrong surgeries on patients without consent. I'm really glad I only wasted my time today and not anything else.

I'm looking through the surgeon reviews on the boards here. I would prefer to see someone semi-local. I'm looking at Dr. Elariny in Vienna, VA. There's only one review of him on the forum, though so I will look around for more info.

Elariny has had a good reputation as a DS surgeon. I just haven't head his name in a while. If I were on that coast and had a DS issue, I'd go to him.

I became milk intolerant after surgery. If I have milk, it's that bad. If I stay away from dairy, it's really not bad (or I've just become immune). Milk for me = sewage plant ;)

Run away. Where do you live? I used Winchester Bariatrics in Winchester, VA. No issues and you get a real DS. Other choices in the 'general' area - Greenbaum in NJ, Bonnani in PA, Elariny in NOVA (but with big program fees since does not participate with insurance). Schweitzer is a no go in my book. He refuses to do the DS anymore.
The bathroom issues are completely manageable in my experience and most of us tend to constipation rather than diarrhea. Educate yourself and choose a different surgeon. No looking back.

I have had no bathroom issues - I take 1 Devrom every night and I won't say my S#&* don't stink LOL but it really doesnt. What I hear is if you eat wrong, then you pay for it that way. I choose not to find out. Don't eat like you did before your surgery and you should be fine.

I'm scheduled for a DS with Dr. Elariny on April 6. My experience with his office has been very encouraging. He is very personable and responsive to questions and concerns. Though I've been approved for the surgery by my insurer, Elariny is out-of-network for the DS, so I will be paying a hefty co-pay. He requires an upfront payment of $11,000, which may be more or less than the final co-pay. He will refund the balance if that is an overpayment and with require me to make up the deficiency if it is an underpayment.

I'm sure I'll have more to say after the surgery.

@OldBroad congrats on making this big decision, finding a good surgeon and making a surgery date!

Now that you are signed up, do you have any questions or concerns we could help you with? Have you hooked up with the MADS group? No matter how well educated we are pre-op, nothing can fully prepare us for the post-op experience, and having as many sources of support and knowledge you can find really does make a difference.

Latest posts

Back