Hello from California

Zaxarooey

I'm Zach I had DS surgery 20 years ago nearly.. when I was 19 I'm 39 about to be 40.

Went from 455 to 180.

Currently I'm just trying to get gain muscle and it's hard because no one understands my surgery and my surgeon plays it safe he tells me stuff that seems false like he doesn't want to recommend anything dangerous or risky so he just tells me to play it safe but playing it safe doesn't work. I need to gain muscle and I'll take any help I can get. Thank you

Hi, Zach!

I'm glad to see you are posting specific questions in the DS forum. the more you tell us about you and what you have been doing, the more we can help. and long posts are fine, but you might want to slow down and edit for typos, etc, and this will make things more clear.

my surgeon plays it safe he tells me stuff that seems false

like what?

there is a ton of info on this sight so please read, read, read! you are in the right place.

:welcome2:

Hi, Zach!

I'm glad to see you are posting specific questions in the DS forum. the more you tell us about you and what you have been doing, the more we can help. and long posts are fine, but you might want to slow down and edit for typos, etc, and this will make things more clear.

like what?

there is a ton of info on this sight so please read, read, read! you are in the right place.

:welcome2:
He told me 120 grams of protein is all I need a day.
He told me to take enzymes to gain ten pounds of weight but he told me if I can gain muscle that would be better then fat.
Which doesn't make sense because enzymes will make me gain fat...
He told me I can gain plenty of muscle eating 120 grams of protein even though I'm eating 250 grams right now and my protein is 6.1 almost low..
Plus I think enzymes are great too gain fat but I don't see how I can take them every day forever. Last time I used them I over gained by 60 pounds. So I'm weary to take them again. Just some added information. I'm try to watch my spelling and grammar but I'm using my cell phone for these posts and it doesn't always grammar check out spell check correctly. But I'll try very hard.

Welcome Zaxarooey
First don’t fret over spelling. The software will let you know if something is spelled incorrectly most of the time. As mentioned in the other thread, it’s about lab level for protein and at a 6.1 you have a right to be concerned. I focused on protein waters when mine dropped last spring after surgery and it helped raise mine.

Do you have an idea of your current macros, protei, fat, carbs? And have you had a full DS lab panel done recently?

We have others in California so if you can give us an idea of region, that may help to get you help with doctors who might have a clue.

My doctor is in SF he wants me to take enzymes. I'm 176.7 weight. I'm trying to get to 185 so I think my new plan is to start taking enzymes starting tomorrow 3 a day 36000 strength..
I should be gaining weight with how much I eat. So it's kinda crazy to me but things changed recently I'm working full time from part time and I'm going to the gym 3x a week up from two times a week. So maybe it's normal because a year ago I was 167 and brought my weight up with just food and less then I'm eating now.
Also I have Hypoglycemia no idea why. Doctor's don't know why
So I'm eating 4200 calories a day roughly 250 carbs, 250 protein
I have all my macros going back a year maybe longer. I record them.
Here a photo.
I live in the Bay area in Concord. I have doctor's but basically they all tell me don't worry the thing is a few years ago I was very dangerously low in like 23 blood tests now I'm low on 4-5 blood tests. But like things like copper were at 6. But certain things just won't improve. Bun low, my blood is low platelets and stuff like that that I don't understand unless that's from not absorbing enough. I'm scared to take the enzymes because I'm scared if I use them then stop my body will lose even more weight. And I haven't lost weight but in my last body scan I had lose a pound of muscle in my chest though over all I gained five pounds of muscle. If that makes sense. So I dunno maybe that's a lack of protein. And my body is using muscle to build muscle because that happened once before to me and I lost ten pounds of muscle in the blink of a eye but I'm eating more.

I used to consume 2500 calories a day compared to 4200 today I used to consume 100 protein max! Now I'm consuming 250.
And my trainers slow to increase anything and my doctor pushes the enzymes. I just wish I could do this naturally. I think I need a dietitian or a nutritionist who knows about DS does anyone know how I find one that takes Medicare? Google?

But I tend to get scared easy. I've had a very rough last few years I spent a lot of time in a hospital. Had a car hit me, my heart stopped, hernia repair and after all that I take working out and my health dead serious only I feel like none of my doctor's understand what I'm dealing with and my ds doctor told me 120 grams of protein was enough to gain muscle which it wasn't so I don't trust him anymore..

Still I'm thinking I'll take the enzymes for a month and just see what happens... I dunno. It can't hurt me right?

I just want to be healthy. Normal and healthy.
I'm a waiter btw and I'm so busy at work I use meal replacements like soylent and weight gainer to get enough calories... But please give me your thoughts. Thanks

How many calories do you think I need if 4200 a day isn't doing it? If I take enzymes and gain ten pounds would that be cool? Does me gaining weight mean I won't lose muscle or is this a protein issue and I shouldn't worry as much about the calories. I'm a little confused I don't want to lose muscle again just because I'm working way more and working out way more.. 50 grams added of protein be enough?

My hypoglycemia makes it hard to eat because I have to always worry about 20 grams of sugar or 30-40 grams of protein at once might trigger a low.. though normally I just ignore this and except I'll get a low because I need to eat so much. So like I'll drink a protein drink then get a low.. just my life now I've tried to get used it.

Whos healthy with DS here what is your macros? So I may compare.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_120320.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_120320.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have reactive hypoglycemia not caused by weight loss surgery.

Many are developing hypoglycemia due to extremely low A1C levels post op. It’s more common in RNY but there is a fair amount of DSers developing it as well.

Are you seeing Dr. Rabkin?

I have reactive hypoglycemia not caused by weight loss surgery.

Many are developing hypoglycemia due to extremely low A1C levels post op. It’s more common in RNY but there is a fair amount of DSers developing it as well.

Are you seeing Dr. Rabkin?

I see him once every year. Well how do you raise your a1c yea mines 2.4.
Maybe my calorie counting is the problem and I need to ignore numbers and eat as much as I can? He thought gaining weight would help but when I couldn't gain weight he said I should I take enzymes... Maybe I'm scared of enzymes for no reason but things are ok right now and I'm just scared to upset my system.. couldn't going on and off enzymes mess with my metabolism?
I email him if I need something just he's very judgemental. His dad was a surgeon to and his dad did my surgery, he was much nicer. His son's a little forceful about things doesn't like questions ‍♂️ not complaining just facts. But anyways thanks.

Honestly I don’t know how to raise it but have you seen an endocrinologist?

Creon might help and you don’t have to stay on it forever.

Yes I have a appointment with her today in fact.
All my doctor's kinda say the same thing. That this is what it is... Hey used to it and make the best of things and try your hardest to do this this this and you know.. basically I'm fine

Yes I have a appointment with her today in fact.
All my doctor's kinda say the same thing. That this is what it is... Hey used to it and make the best of things and try your hardest to do this this this and you know.. basically I'm fine
I’ve been dealing with reactive hypoglycemia since 1991 and yes, it is what it is….you learn to eat often about every two hours, protein and fat with a tiny bit of carbs. You want it stable.

I'm thinking I'll take the enzymes for a month and just see what happens... I dunno. It can't hurt me right?

I have zero experiences and had to google to see what you are talking about, so no idea of trying them will help, hurt or just waste money!

I can tell you this for sure: it's important to know and work on your lab numbers and your macros and you should continue to learn about this.

BUT: how do you feel? how are your pants fitting? are you feeling healthy?

you say you want to "gain muscle" but, honestly, if you can go up a flight of stairs maybe take a moment and feel grateful for that. but clearly it's been a rough couple of years so it's understandable you are wound up.

and I couldn't post half so well if it was from my phone - I hate doing things on my phone. :rolleyes:

I'm a waiter btw and I'm so busy at work I use meal replacements like soylent and weight gainer to get enough calories.

aha! a waiter is a very physical job, good for you!

can you also eat real food at work? fast things that are good for you, maybe string cheese or nuts?

His son's a little forceful about things doesn't like questions ‍♂ not complaining just facts.
any doctor who won't answer questions and in a respectful manner needs a swift kick. :mad:

I hope the endo can help (and understands the DS)

Zaxarooey I think you can get a lot of good suggestions at Dr Rabkin's monthly support group. The next one is this Wed. Here are the details

No reservations required! JustZOOM in this coming Wednesday night to the PacLap monthly virtual support group.

Share your struggles, successes, and suggestions for navigating post-op life. Learn what’s worked for other post-ops and what may help you!

Time: January 10, 2024, from 06:00-7:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6353163769?pwd=UWMrZ09KOTFNaWw3b0E4NTM4VUNFdz09

Dr. Rablkin will be there. He is a world class DS surgeon

Hey there, welcome and I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you are going through.

My first thoughts are working on the labs first and then work on building muscle. You can‘t build a house without a strong foundation.

I think you are on the right path with your eating and tracking, but I think you may need to tweak WHAT you are eating.

1) How much fat do you get? You mention carbs and protein but not fat.

2) You mention Soylent, is this the only protein shake you drink or do you drink others too? Whey isolate shakes are going to be better for us (in general) and may help your lab numbers moving in the right direction. Soylent, in particular, is higher in carbs and sugar and combined with soy based protein, this may not be working for you. How much of those 250 grams of protein and food and shakes?

3) Your labs tell us one story but what are your actual supplements and daily vitamin routine?

As others have mentioned, enzymes like Creon don’t need to be permanent. It’s possible you’ve just reached the point where your body needs a little help. If you do an audit of your eating and vitamins and are functionally doing everything “right” it may be time to try tweaking things and Creon may be one of them.

It’s OK to gain a little weight if it makes you healthier. If it helps you get on track you will be able to work towards building more muscle.

Well I drink 2x soylent for 800 calories on days I work. I drink 1 500 calorie weight gainer a day. I am now taking 2x protein scoops a day for 50 grams of protein.

So I would say nearly half my calories come from drinks. I use huel also the instant meals but it's more a affordable problem for me. I don't know how to cook yet. I can cook too live but I'm not good at cooking anything except eggs. I also eat 8 eggs a day easily..

I can't log everything I eat but roughly I get 150-200 grams of fat a day right now..

So maybe I should ditch the soylent and huel and find a different meal replacement to use that uses whey?

I take what my doctor tells me to take. Vit d 50k every other day, 6 calcium pills a day, iron, copper, adek, l-carnitine 3xa day.
Fiber..

I could post my DS labs? That lab is from my endocrinologist it doesn't include my duadenal switch doctor's labs.

I have work right now so I'll come back later and post a more detailed response.

I was thinking my issue might be that a lot of my calories are from fat and I don't absorb much fat so maybe that's the problem. I'm maintaining my weight but I'm worried because I've been exhausted recently that something's off but it's hard to tell because I have a lot of excuses. Not made up excuses but I mean I can blame my problems on my accident or I can blame everything on my heart stopping my doctor's so that all the time. They say you damaged your self and this is just the new you. But I don't believe them I think I can be normal and healthy.

Yes I've come a long way but I'm still on the low end of muscle I have to keep building muscle and I swear it's like my body needs more protein I think..

But that's the problem I think I think. I don't know. And my doctor's all say take it slow your fine don't worry..
But I'm happy I just want to make sure I'm on the right path.

Thanks for responses.
I don't eat a balanced diet either. I don't really eat veggies often unless someone else cooks them. I eat a lot of restaurant food and lots of meal replacements like soylent and huel.

What do you guys use for meal replacements that you can recommend?

Latest posts

Back