Another 3 week stall :(

heyclementine

I just searched the forums, and remember reading about this prior to surgery, but once the 3 week stall happens to you it's totally different. It's infinitely worse. I'm a little over a month out and I've been in a pretty constant stall (even gaining some weight back) since around 3 weeks and I swear the only thing keeping me from completely losing my mind is this forum!

I'm going through the "this surgery isn't going to work for me" emotions, even though, rationally, I know that's impossible. Even if I don't lose all of my excess weight, I will not stay in the 300 pounds for the rest of my life!! Right?! (I started at ~355 and am down to 325, but according to the "on track to lose it all" calculations I'm 'supposed' to get down to 306 by August 2, and I'm very afraid it's not going to happen at this point.)

Anyway, I guess this is just a vent. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear them. I eat between 500-1000 calories a day, very little carbs. Mostly meat, eggs and cheeses. Occasionally some veggies with butter. I'm still struggling to get 64 ounces of water a day but my PCP checks my electrolytes regularly and I'm still okay. I guess I need some encouragement, like many who've come before me, that I will start losing weight again and that this is just a phase. I would hate to think I did this to my body and soul for 30 pounds.

Thanks!

I just searched the forums, and remember reading about this prior to surgery, but once the 3 week stall happens to you it's totally different. It's infinitely worse. I'm a little over a month out and I've been in a pretty constant stall (even gaining some weight back) since around 3 weeks and I swear the only thing keeping me from completely losing my mind is this forum!

I'm going through the "this surgery isn't going to work for me" emotions, even though, rationally, I know that's impossible. Even if I don't lose all of my excess weight, I will not stay in the 300 pounds for the rest of my life!! Right?! (I started at ~355 and am down to 325, but according to the "on track to lose it all" calculations I'm 'supposed' to get down to 306 by August 2, and I'm very afraid it's not going to happen at this point.)

Anyway, I guess this is just a vent. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear them. I eat between 500-1000 calories a day, very little carbs. Mostly meat, eggs and cheeses. Occasionally some veggies with butter. I'm still struggling to get 64 ounces of water a day but my PCP checks my electrolytes regularly and I'm still okay. I guess I need some encouragement, like many who've come before me, that I will start losing weight again and that this is just a phase. I would hate to think I did this to my body and soul for 30 pounds.

Thanks!
Sounds like you are doing good. One thing I WILL suggest is to stay off the scale. If you can not stay off it, hide it, give it away, lock it up. For the next month, you are ONLY to weigh at doctor appts. If none scheduled this month, you may weigh again one month from now.

Focus on the NSV's. One of my favorites was the day I wrapped a standard bath towel around me.

As far as
but according to the "on track to lose it all" calculations I'm 'supposed' to get down to 306 by August 2, and I'm very afraid it's not going to happen at this point
Do NOT put a date on all of this.

Sounds like you are doing good. One thing I WILL suggest is to stay off the scale. If you can not stay off it, hide it, give it away, lock it up. For the next month, you are ONLY to weigh at doctor appts.

I'm not obsessed with weighing, but I DO do it too much. I'm gonna try to take this advice! I think I mainly weigh to make sure I'm doing everything right and don't need to change anything, but little good that's doing me right now. Thank you for the challenge!

Stay off the scale and it sounds to me like you need more food. I know it is weird, but you have to eat to lose weight.

Stay positive!!!

I've thought about that too! I do have a few days where I was getting closer to 1200 cals. I need to focus a little more on eating for sure.

I'm at the same place. Some days I can't get in enough cals, others it seems like too many and my "stall" seems to have been lasting almost a month. Weight fluctuates across about 5 lbs, up and down but never really lower.

I have tried really hard to stay off the scale as well but it doesn't always work (I think I'll take the batteries out).

I've started wondering why it doesn't seem like it's working. I hope it's only me being impatient :093: and not giving my new metabolism time to adjust.

And don't be fooled by that ticker down below, all but 40 lbs was pre-op weight and I still have another 60 to go.

I'm at the same place. Some days I can't get in enough cals, others it seems like too many and my "stall" seems to have been lasting almost a month. Weight fluctuates across about 5 lbs, up and down but never really lower.

I have tried really hard to stay off the scale as well but it doesn't always work (I think I'll take the batteries out).

I've started wondering why it doesn't seem like it's working. I hope it's only me being impatient :093:

And don't be fooled by that ticker, all but 40 lbs was pre-op weight and I still think I have another 50 to go
Dave, how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs are you eating now?

I've started wondering why it doesn't seem like it's working. I hope it's only me being impatient :093: and not giving my new metabolism time to adjust.

And don't be fooled by that ticker down below, all but 40 lbs was pre-op weight and I still have another 60 to go.

Dave, I hope you're able to get out of your stall. Like you, I have close to 200lbs to lose total. You are much closer to it than I am, but I know that doesn't make a stall any more tolerable! What week out from surgery are you?

STAY. OFF. THE. SCALE. You're making yourself crazy for absolutely NO reason.

I understand that logic completely, but it's hard to go through this process and not, at least initially, feel inclined to check that it's "working" - even if the scale is not the best way to do that. It's just had to get past wanting to do it.

Heyclementine, i totally get it. I think it is easier for vets who have come out the other side to provide wisdom, but being 3 weeks out, i can totally relate to that panicky feeling and the desire to check in on the scale. i have the same thoughts at night-- what if i am the only one for whom this thing doesn't actually work, what if my metabolism is so screwed up from dieting and regaining too many times, etc etc.

Hang in there and keep us posted. You should focus on how your clothes are fitting and perhaps if your exercise tolerance is increasing etc. You will get through this!!

While I honestly think your focus should still be entirely on recovery and healing at this early stage, I do understand your concern. Let me ask you this: are you in ketosis? Buy some urine keto strips for $5 at any grocery pharmacy and check to see. Your diet should be HEAVILY protein based to promote healing and with your greatly diminished intake ability you really can't/shouldn't waste stomach space on carbs. It's the perfect opportunity to do an Atkins type diet. Again, I'm not a huge fan of focusing on the weight loss issue this early post op. You are a baby still and your body is still in shock. But if you are worried....knock off the carbs and eat what your body really needs anyway, which is protein + fats. Watch out for some protein shakes which can have sneaky amounts of carbs in them. And, as always, drink more water! It's critical for slushing your wastes out as your body breaks down fats, and even slight dehydration can muck up the works. If your urine is dark and you can smell it-you are dehydrated!! Good luck girl. You are doing great! Right on target. In my experience I ALWAYS had slight stalls right before the big drops. No clue why...but it was a noticeable thing. You're gonna be just fine!
:th youknow:

Heyclementine, i totally get it. I think it is easier for vets who have come out the other side to provide wisdom, but being 3 weeks out, i can totally relate to that panicky feeling and the desire to check in on the scale. i have the same thoughts at night-- what if i am the only one for whom this thing doesn't actually work, what if my metabolism is so screwed up from dieting and regaining too many times, etc etc.

Hang in there and keep us posted. You should focus on how your clothes are fitting and perhaps if your exercise tolerance is increasing etc. You will get through this!!

Thanks, I hope your recovery is going smoothly!

Latest posts

Back